Twenty years since I've read that. I must pick it up and have another look although I find the endless paralleling of it, and Brave New World, to THE CURRENT CLIMATE utterly fucking tedious at this stage. I remember the story in and of itself being a grim, oppressive and immersive experience.

I picked up In Ascension by Martin MacInnes over the weekend and it's off to a flying start.

Cormac McCarthy has passed away.

Quote from: ldj on June 13, 2023, 08:49:25 PMCormac McCarthy has passed away.

Lost a genius there, by far my favourite author.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 13, 2023, 12:13:32 PMTwenty years since I've read that. I must pick it up and have another look although I find the endless paralleling of it, and Brave New World, to THE CURRENT CLIMATE utterly fucking tedious at this stage. I remember the story in and of itself being a grim, oppressive and immersive experience.

I picked up In Ascension by Martin MacInnes over the weekend and it's off to a flying start.

I hadn't ever read it, had seen the old thing on telly but in the same vein the constant references to it on social media did put me off a bit. Like I can see why but it's like the more everyone goes on about something the more I'd be inclined to let the dust settle before digging in. Goes for films, series, social movements, albums and many more things.

Back to the thread, do many of you do as I do and be reading several books at once rather than simply ploughing through all of one before going to another? I've about 6 on the go at the minute depending on time place form etc.

Yeah, I've become shocking for juggling several books at once. I've no patience. When I pick up something new to libero next I can't resist having a sneak peek and then I'm sucked right in.

Just on the death of the great Cormac McCarthy I've decided to read all his books over the next year. I've read a few over the years but am going to go and do them all over. I bought The Orchard Keeper his first book today and will start there after 1984.

Never read anything by McCarthy. Are there standouts?

Blood Meridian. It's a horrible, bloody masterpiece.

I imagine blood meridian, although one of his best might be a hard entry point. No country for old men or the road are maybe more accessible but I use that loosely

His most recent two are easily his most accessible, but actually they are so accessible as to give you no preparation for his earlier, darker material. Still both worth a read.

I think the Border Trilogy, the Road and No Country are all very good and accessible. I read Blood Meridian but I struggled with it and would avoid that for a while.

No Country For Old Men was my first one, that was a grand entry level one. All The Pretty Horses was another one on the same level. The Road is bleak but fairly straightforward. I didn't enjoy Blood Meridian but I'm glad I read it. I have another few on the shelf but I don't think I can be bothered TBH.

I'll buy then off you

Nah, I'll dig them out and send them on to you, I'll give you a shout when I find them.

Well let me send you some in return what u into I've hundreds