I'm going to have to go back to the start with the Wheel Of Time books. I read the first 9 in a burst when that was getting me up to date. By the time the tenth had come out, I'd forgotten who half the characters were, which side they were on, etc. and was completely lost. I loved the first 5 or 6 but from then on I got the sense that he had no idea how he was going to end it all.

I tried to read those Wheel Of Time books and hated them. I think I got to book four before I gave up.
I'm back reading all my old David Gemmell books at the moment. He was always my favorite fantasy writer even if most of his books are similar.
I'm starting the Rigante series again and they are still really good.

I've never read any of his but he's on the list. The old man was a fan so there's probably a few in the attic.

Yeah Gemmell's great. No fucking about, just fist to the face fantasy that you could easily read after a few jars.

Got about half way through William Burroughs "The Soft Machine" on holidays there.  Completely fucked and bizarre read so far, honestly couldn't even explain what is happening in it but it sort of implants the idea of a story in your head while you are reading it.  In between lads hanging themselves to transfer their consciousness into someone else's body and large amounts of gay sex, there's some sort of outlandish sci-fi kick off it.  I doubt it will end in any meaningful way but I'll finish it soon.

Quote from: blessed1 on July 04, 2023, 03:36:42 PMI tried to read those Wheel Of Time books and hated them. I think I got to book four before I gave up.
I'm back reading all my old David Gemmell books at the moment. He was always my favorite fantasy writer even if most of his books are similar.
I'm starting the Rigante series again and they are still really good.

I have very fond memories of going through rakes of Gemmell and Feist about 20 years ago. Highly enjoyable books. Didn't read a single one that I didn't get a good kick out of.

Gemmell's Troy series is brilliant, although he died halfway through the last one and you can nearly pinpoint when his missus took over to finish it

Quote from: Trev on July 04, 2023, 09:42:30 PMGemmell's Troy series is brilliant, although he died halfway through the last one and you can nearly pinpoint when his missus took over to finish it

Lion Of Macedon and Dark Prince are class as well.

Reading a book about the assassination of a landlord named Mahon in Roscommon during the Famine. He was the fella who owned the house in which the Famine Museum is currently located. Strokestown. I visited that museum years ago, not easily forgotten and on par with the cottiers cottages reproduced in Bunratty, the ones where people lived with their farm animals

Has anyone read Dan Simmons' Hyperion books? Always saw the name but read into the plot/style a bit more and I'm intrigued.

I've read the first two, never got around to the third and fourth. Very enjoyable, though the details escape me now. Like a sci fi Canterbury Tales.

I have the first one here but never got started on it at all

Just finished Al jourgensen's bio. Not a ministry fan at all but damn every paragraph is the wildest story you've ever heard. Some depraved junkie shit. I'm sure some of the stories are muddled in the druggy haze of time, but there's throw away comments about well known musicians that would be career enders if posted on twitter. considering that a few his accusations seemed to turn out true since the book was written im tempted to believe them. One story about r Kelly being a perv to his young daughter in the 90s and how it's a crime r Kelly isn't in jail yet being one of them. Book is for fans of brett Ellis and Irvine welsh

Hate Ellis but love Welsh. I was into Psalm 69 as a kid. I might grab it if I come across it in a book shop.

Love Ellis (for the most part) - never read Welsh. Is "Trainspotting" the place to start?

Read Phil Collins' autobiography on holiday after getting a recommendation. First half is decent, not excellent - after that the whole thing is fairly boring, unfocused and repetitive (much like Keef's "Life" memoir).

Currently reading Paul Murray's "An Evening Of Long Goodbyes" which is pretty good.

Also started Ted Kessler's "Paper Cuts: How I Destroyed the British Music Press and Other Misadventures" - which is excellent so far but I've put it down so that I can give it my full concentration once I have Murray's book out of the way.