Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 29, 2023, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: Carnage on May 16, 2023, 12:06:00 PMDunno whether anyone's bought from Bookworld.ie before, but I chanced it and nabbed 4 of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series from them there. Secondhand, came in at just over €20 when postage was added. It's a punt but sure we'll see how it goes.

I've mentioned this before but thebookshop.ie based in Thurles is very good. Most books are between €1 and €4 - free shipping over €20.

I've rarely gotten a book in anything less than library condition at worst. Some look like they've been barley opened. You can find all sorts on it.

"Factotum" by Charles Bukowski - great read.

Currently reading "Beatles '66- The Revolutionary Year" by Steve Turner. Halfway through and it is excellent.

I actually know that fella and I keep forgetting about him. Must have a squint at what he has

Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 29, 2023, 01:35:16 PMI've mentioned this before but thebookshop.ie based in Thurles is very good. Most books are between €1 and €4 - free shipping over €20.

I've rarely gotten a book in anything less than library condition at worst. Some look like they've been barley opened. You can find all sorts on it.

I think I've bought from there before. The site's a pain to navigate, keeps bringing me to pages I'm not looking for.

Quote from: Carnage on May 29, 2023, 02:45:44 PMI think I've bought from there before. The site's a pain to navigate, keeps bringing me to pages I'm not looking for.

Yeah - you kinda have to know what you're looking for but - to give them credit - they've definitely improved the search function.

Currently reading Jurassic Park and enjoying it.
I just found out recently that there were only 3 years between the release of the book and the film.

Read it at the time (pre film), loved it. Would recommend Sphere and Eaters Of The Dead (filmed as The 13th Warrior) above it though. They're all I've read by him and I'd go 1. EOTD, 2. Sphere, 3. JP.

I'm nearly there on Wuthering Heights. I find it a bit tedious and am looking forward to it's end.
Also some John Cheever stories. Class

Quote from: Carnage on June 04, 2023, 01:34:54 AMRead it at the time (pre film), loved it. Would recommend Sphere and Eaters Of The Dead (filmed as The 13th Warrior) above it though. They're all I've read by him and I'd go 1. EOTD, 2. Sphere, 3. JP.

Good man! Added to the list now!

Quote from: mishima on June 03, 2023, 08:57:32 PMCurrently reading Jurassic Park and enjoying it.
I just found out recently that there were only 3 years between the release of the book and the film.

First book and to an extent the second one are decent reads. I loved the first but it did lead to the film being rather disappointing as a young lad at all the things that were left out.

Quote from: astfgyl on June 06, 2023, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: mishima on June 03, 2023, 08:57:32 PMCurrently reading Jurassic Park and enjoying it.

First book and to an extent the second one are decent reads. I loved the first but it did lead to the film being rather disappointing as a young lad at all the things that were left out.

Aye, the film definitely got the Hollywood treatment.
Though I'm not sure how they'd have successfully portrayed Grant and the kids sneaking past a sleeping T-Rex sat on its arse as described in the book without it being hilarious! Just read that bit today!

Quote from: mishima on June 07, 2023, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on June 06, 2023, 12:24:12 PM

Aye, the film definitely got the Hollywood treatment.
Though I'm not sure how they'd have successfully portrayed Grant and the kids sneaking past a sleeping T-Rex sat on its arse as described in the book without it being hilarious! Just read that bit today!

Am I right in thinking they tried that scene in the second or third film, but without the Rex on its arse? Actually picked up the second book again lately for 50c thinking maybe one of the kids would go for it someday but I'll more likely end up rereading it myself tbh

Quote from: astfgyl on June 07, 2023, 09:48:05 PMAm I right in thinking they tried that scene in the second or third film, but without the Rex on its arse? Actually picked up the second book again lately for 50c thinking maybe one of the kids would go for it someday but I'll more likely end up rereading it myself tbh

I don't think I've ever seen any of the other films in their entirety.. Kinda curious to check them out now.

Quote from: mishima on June 08, 2023, 08:13:51 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on June 07, 2023, 09:48:05 PMAm I right in thinking they tried that scene in the second or third film, but without the Rex on its arse? Actually picked up the second book again lately for 50c thinking maybe one of the kids would go for it someday but I'll more likely end up rereading it myself tbh

I don't think I've ever seen any of the other films in their entirety.. Kinda curious to check them out now.

https://twitter.com/ATRightMovies/status/1667836601676775425?t=tD2EOjQlK0oT7ivaJF5Q5Q&s=19

Happened to come across this today, film is 30 years old. The other films are pretty bad compared to the first, which was pretty bad compared to the book but is still the best of them

Just started 1984 by George Orwell. I'm very surprised how engaging it is from the outset.

Quote from: Don Gately on June 12, 2023, 11:22:09 AMJust started 1984 by George Orwell. I'm very surprised how engaging it is from the outset.

Reading it myself at the minute. Tis great stuff

Quote from: Don Gately on June 12, 2023, 11:22:09 AMJust started 1984 by George Orwell. I'm very surprised how engaging it is from the outset.

I read it again a few months back. You'll find yourself smirking at times about how relevant it is today.