Dunno whether anyone's bought from Bookworld.ie before, but I chanced it and nabbed 4 of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series from them there. Secondhand, came in at just over €20 when postage was added. It's a punt but sure we'll see how it goes.

Was in Eason in Limerick lately and saw 2 copies of 1984 side by side, one for 12.99, one for 2.99. the difference?: The cover. Both paperbacks. My story?: Pointless.

I think it only became public domain about 2 years ago, so now Wordsworth and the other bargain publishers can print it up.

Quote from: Carnage on May 16, 2023, 12:06:00 PMDunno whether anyone's bought from Bookworld.ie before, but I chanced it and nabbed 4 of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series from them there. Secondhand, came in at just over €20 when postage was added. It's a punt but sure we'll see how it goes.

Arrived today. 4 books, 3 different sized editions. 3 grand, 1 manky. Luck of the draw, can't complain really.

Should be in the pet peeve section but nothing worse than having a 5 or 6 book series lined up on the shelf all different sizes, editions and cover styles. But as you as say can't complain as not as if I'm doing to change it by buying the cheapest version of each book I can find

Quote from: Carnage on May 19, 2023, 03:21:39 PM
Quote from: Carnage on May 16, 2023, 12:06:00 PMDunno whether anyone's bought from Bookworld.ie before, but I chanced it and nabbed 4 of CJ Sansom's Shardlake series from them there. Secondhand, came in at just over €20 when postage was added. It's a punt but sure we'll see how it goes.

Arrived today. 4 books, 3 different sized editions. 3 grand, 1 manky. Luck of the draw, can't complain really.

Shartlake  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Sorry

'In the Rogue Blood' by James Carlos Blake. Was talking about Blood Meridian with the girlfriends father and he gave me this. Very similar but different, if you're into McCarthy. Probably 10% more accessible than BM. Enjoying it so far.

Quote from: nukeabuse on May 20, 2023, 01:22:47 AMShould be in the pet peeve section but nothing worse than having a 5 or 6 book series lined up on the shelf all different sizes, editions and cover styles. But as you as say can't complain as not as if I'm doing to change it by buying the cheapest version of each book I can find

Even if I'm pirating books for my kindle I will turn my laptop back on and go looking for the 3rd book in a series from the publisher etc. that matches the others I've downloaded  :laugh: 

It's annoying if they don't match alright. Exceptions would be some crime series or the like that span decades, you're never gonna get them all to match.

Reading Murray Pittock's one in Culloden, another take on the great battle, maybe the definitive one. Masterful.

Anything to avoid the Allen Carr one so I can keep honking the vape.

Read War of the Worlds twice lately.

I enjoyed it that much.

Would love to see a proper film of that version rather than a modernised one

I must finish that book. Started it years ago, packed it away when I was moving house and never went back to it. What I had read was mighty though.

Avoid the recent BBC adaptation, it's awful.

It's a fucking smashing book as it is. Haven't seen any TV or film version that had a hope of living up to the book and I actually enjoyed the Tom cruise one as well as season one of the Gabriel Byrne one but I could see that the series was heading south so I left it alone.

Definitely finish that book man it's fuckin class

Well shit, guess I'm gonna have to buy that book and add it to the ever growing pile that I'll hopefully get around to reading this decade  :laugh:

I've mentioned this before but thebookshop.ie based in Thurles is very good. Most books are between €1 and €4 - free shipping over €20.

I've rarely gotten a book in anything less than library condition at worst. Some look like they've been barley opened. You can find all sorts on it.

"Factotum" by Charles Bukowski - great read.

Currently reading "Beatles '66- The Revolutionary Year" by Steve Turner. Halfway through and it is excellent.