Didn't see a dedicated thread for these lads. I had Across Deaths on this morning, it really is a genuine classic and for me has cemented it's place amongst my favourite Irish Metal releases. As I was listening it did occur to me that there's nothing else (See the Gloom Epoch for reference, that additional instrumentation is truly disturbing/haunting). It'd make you wonder have they got another of equal calibre in them and where do they go next musically. They've been fairly quiet though this past while other than the split I haven't heard much rumblings of anything.

Anyone know if they're working on a follow up?

#1 May 02, 2023, 10:46:12 AM Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 10:48:49 AM by Eoin McLove
I think we came up with something ferocious, ugly and relatively unique in Across Deaths. Not an easy album to listen to, I have to be in the mood for it myself as it is fairly fucking wild, but it captures a certain insanity that was bubbling in the band at the time, haha. It felt like pulling teeth getting all the elements together at the time, partly down to us and partly down to external factors, but that only added to the mayhem I reckon. I'll leave it to current band members to comment on current and future activity, but I'm proud of that album. As I've mentioned before, I think that in our own way we maybe tapped into some of the nuttiness of The Last Supper by Abaddon Incarnate without intending to. I can't imagine I'll ever record something that fucked up again, but who knows.

Interesting, not an album I'd have compared it to even if it was just a measure on nuttiness and not a commentary on music. Last Supper has a primal, rabid, feral type insanity to it. The Malthusian record is more sinister, brooding, menacing more like a disturbing Japanese horror flick. 

#3 May 02, 2023, 11:07:18 AM Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 01:10:54 PM by Eoin McLove
Cool. I don't think they sound alike as such, but just that unbridled chaos that takes a few listens to penetrate is a similarity I detect. I think they maybe complement each other.

I speak purely on my own behalf, of course.

Edit. I stuck it on this evening. What a fucking trip through insanity that album is, haha.

I remember listening to this a few years back and really struggling with it, looking for a hook or a crevice to cling onto. I gave up but will revisit it again. A bit like when I was a young lad and watched Apocalypse Now. I knew it was good but hadn't a clue what was going on.

Must go back to AD. Have mixed opinions of it but I suppose I'm too involved.

Have the guts of a new album written that we're aiming to record later in the year. Songs are more frantic and aggressive. I'm excited about it anyway. The production on AD created a fuckin maelstrom of madness that wasn't exactly the aim but as Andy said there were plenty of external factors that created it. New one will be a more direct for sure. Different dynamic with me as the sole songwriter, same as the split.

Cool! Looking forward to it!

The recording and mixing of the eps and album must have been intense.
It's such dense, harsh music.
When I listen it's almost suffocating.
When it does click it's very rewarding

Nah, just the album. From memory the others were handy enough and it's not as dense and harsh when you're in it.

That Across Deaths album sounds like being inside the mind of a serial killer for 40 mins lol

Quote from: open face surgery on May 04, 2023, 12:06:54 PMNah, just the album. From memory the others were handy enough and it's not as dense and harsh when you're in it.

Don't get me wrong. It's savage stuff.
I always wonder about the writing and recording process for that style so thats the angle I was coming from.

I understood what you meant. Same as anything else really, I'd imagine. Just work on riffs and piece the whole thing together in a way that seems to flow to us.

It has been some time since I listened to AD but I fuckin lived on it when it came out and it still took me by surprise every listen.  Great album, must go back to it now that it has been a while actually.

[quote :'(  author=blessed1 link=msg=77932 date=1683200368]
That Across Deaths album sounds like being inside the mind of a serial killer for 40 mins lol
[/quote]
Have you met Matt and/or Andy  :laugh:

Quote from: nimhiúil on May 05, 2023, 06:49:03 PM
Quote from: blessed1 on May 04, 2023, 12:39:28 PMThat Across Deaths album sounds like being inside the mind of a serial killer for 40 mins lol
Have you met Matt and/or Andy  :laugh:

No, why? Are they serial killers?