Not sure if you guys follow the Hudson Valley Squares on YouTube but they did an episode last year on top 5 heavy albums ever and it got me thinking.
I'll go with
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Mourning Beloveth - Formless
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Ahh jaysus, how do you whittle it down to five?

Today, let's go with...

Coroner - Mental Vortex
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Trouble - s/t
Watchtower - Control And Resistance
Cynic - Focus

There was a thing a few years ago picking 20 and that was hell, so 5 would be impossibile for me.

#4 March 28, 2023, 09:09:34 PM Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:14:23 PM by Eoin McLove
Dust or Sullen Sulcus would be in there, depending on my mood.

Some early Burzum too, probably.

Stormcrowfleet perhaps.

Stream from the Heavens maybe.

Lamentations or New Dark Age depending on my mood...

That was easier than expected but it would probably change in a week's time.

Edit. There are some very glaring omissions that are beginning to pop into my head.

In The Woods - Omnio
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Griftegard - Solemn Sacred Severe

Probably my top five at the moment.

I usually need a top 20 at this point, no way can I pick only 5, so have 10 and ye can give out to me over what doesn't count as metal:

Devin Townsend - "Terria"
Mr. Bungle - "Disco Volante"
Nine Inch Nails - "The Downward Spiral"
Type O Negative - "October Rust"
Faith No More - "Angel Dust"
Strapping Young Lad - "City"
Godflesh - "Streetcleaner"
Isis - "Oceanic"
Converge - "You Fail Me"
Neurosis - "Through Silver In Blood"

#7 March 28, 2023, 09:45:47 PM Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:47:48 PM by Thorn
Ah, don't know if my head can handle this and me that loves a list. I was going to say I'll give it some thought but the thought of giving it some thought is already frazzling my brain, I'd imagine Beneath The Remains would have to be in there though.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#8 March 28, 2023, 09:46:58 PM Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:48:34 PM by Carnage
Impossible question, it'd be a different answer daily. Or hourly*. Anyway, off the top of my head, and fairly pedestrian:

Iron Maiden: The Number Of The Beast
Death: Leprosy
Nuclear Assault: Game Over
Metallica: Ride The Lightning
Fear Factory: Demanufacture

*Edit: Just looking at some of the above and I could do another 5 or 10 from previously mentioned ones, depending on mood.

Quote from: Thorn on March 28, 2023, 09:45:47 PMAh, don't know if my head can handle this and me that loves a list. I was going to say I'll give it some thought but the thought of giving it some thought is already frazzling my brain, I'd imagine Beneath The Remains would have to be in there though.

Every word of this is a perfect description of how I was feeling about trying to do it as I scrolled through the replies :laugh:  :abbath:

Todays choice would probably be

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
FNM - King for a Day

They'd all be some of my favourites and are just the ones I've been listening to again in the last while so they make the cut. Once I change the cds in the car it'll be a new five

Tell ya what though, non-contributing parasite and all that it makes me, this makes for excellent ideas for revisiting or properly digging into certain albums that wouldn't even be on my radar if I was trying to make a top any number of all time!  :abbath:

Jaysus, Type O would have to be in the mix...

1. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
2. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
3. Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
4. Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
5. Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Now to kick myself for all the albums I forgot.

Okay, here's my top 5 selecting exclusively out of albums appearing in previous replies  :laugh:
And get out of it with yer FNM and Mr.Bungles... trying to narrow the choices as much as possible here!  :laugh:  :abbath:

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Metallica - Ride the Lightning