I have to add Appetite For Destruction and Hysteria to my list.
They were the first 2 tapes I had.
Took them from my brother as we shared a room as kids. He played Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi etc at night.

Hysteria made me aware of rock but it as Appetite that put me on the road to ruin.
I remember seeing the video for Paradise City during the credits of Top Of The Pops and having some sort of epiphany. It was aggressive and dangerous compared to Girls,Girls,Girls.
Blew the doors open.

#31 March 29, 2023, 10:10:32 AM Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:15:24 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 29, 2023, 09:16:11 AMBased on my mood - always subject to change and in no particular order;

• Guns N' Roses - "Appetite For Destruction"
  • Sleep - "Dopesmoker/Jerusalem"
  • Black Sabbath - "Vol. 4"
  • Mastodon - "Leviathan"
  • YOB - "Clearing The Path To Ascend"

Your inclusion of that YOB album has me thinking that, outside of the classics, to me Bölzer's Hero or Tribulation's Formulas happily rub shoulders with yer Master of Puppets, Individual Thought Patterns, Rust In Peace, etc., though I wouldn't immediately think of them when asked this question. Slough Feg's Traveler also hasn't had a mention yet, but that is easily in my most listened to, so "top" in that sense, metal albums.

Who fuckin' started this anyway? This isn't a thread, it's a brain virus! :laugh:  :abbath:

#32 March 29, 2023, 10:27:55 AM Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:32:05 AM by Thorn
Quote from: warhead on March 29, 2023, 12:51:02 AMGNR - Appetite For Destruction
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Slayer - Decade Of Aggression
Now, these 4 were EASY......choosing the 5th might prove to be impossible.
Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 29, 2023, 09:16:11 AMBased on my mood - always subject to change and in no particular order;

• Mastodon - "Leviathan"

Right that's 3 for me, I'll take Appetite as well, I mean like, let's not over think this, greatest hard rock album ever. This is so much easier when you just sponge of everyone else's selections . Shit, only two left and one of them is going I have to be from first four Metallica ,jeez...
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

For today I will give a loose 5 of:

Slayer - Hell Awaits
Morbid Angel - Formulas
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Reverend Bizarre- In The Rectory
Judas Priest - Stained Class

Slayer, MA and JP are open to change album at any given moment.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 29, 2023, 10:10:32 AM

• Mastodon - "Leviathan"

Your inclusion of that YOB album has me thinking that, outside of the classics, to me Bölzer's Hero or Tribulation's Formulas happily rub shoulders with yer Master of Puppets, Individual Thought Patterns, Rust In Peace, etc., though I wouldn't immediately think of them when asked this question. Slough Feg's Traveler also hasn't had a mention yet, but that is easily in my most listened to, so "top" in that sense, metal albums.

Who fuckin' started this anyway? This isn't a thread, it's a brain virus! :laugh:  :abbath:

Traveler crossed my mind actually. Formulas a good modern shout, With Hearts Towards None, Graves of the Archangels, the Blood Revolt album, Foundations of Burden by Pallbearer, Macabre Omen - Gods of War be some others from the late 2000s into the 2010s that I would rank really high, outside of th typcial stuff we've all been listing. There's an implicit longevity with favorite too, everything I originally listed I've loved since I was 15/16 at th oldest. It's a nostalgia/comfort thing as much as it being a stone-cold favorite to some extent I think. 

So many more albums mentioned that deserve consideration and send my mind in all sorts of different directions. It's impossible  ::)

Quote from: SquigsThere's an implicit longevity with favorite too, everything I originally listed I've loved since I was 15/16 at th oldest. It's a nostalgia/comfort thing as much as it being a stone-cold favorite to some extent I think. 

It's the "soundtrack to your life" thing. I'd say a lot of us have the music of our mid to late teens featuring heavily. I know most of mine is that late 80's to early 90's era where I never left the house without my walkman and five or six tapes stashed in a big pocket I had made specially inside my biker jacket.

A few years ago, I built a unit for the house to get my CDs out of boxes in the attic and out on display again. I had space for 298 CDs and my first shortlist was over 1000 😂

The top five only lasts for as long as it takes to play then and you want to hear other fantastic stuff.

In terms of more modern albums I'd absolutely have to throw in Vektor's Terminal Redux and NeO's Portal of I. Probably listened to those two more than any others from the 2010s

#38 March 29, 2023, 11:34:49 AM Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:36:59 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Squigs on March 29, 2023, 10:56:20 AMFoundations of Burden by Pallbearer 

That Pallbearer album could easily be swapped with the YOB record on a different day.

See also - Ahab's "The Divinity Of Oceans".

See also - Elder's "Lore".

Yep, Call of the Wretched Sea would be one I'd have on the hook too as far as modern ones go.

Maybe if I first split into five sub-genres and then try pick top album from each, that'd be easier?

Thrash: Metallica - Master of Puppets (yeah, but what about Rust In Peace!?)
Prog: Mastodon - Leviathan (Voivod and Tool getting squeezed out here, but this one is actually easy enough)
Black: Mayhem - De Mysteriis (sorry Varg, please don't kill me)
Death: Sepultura - Beneath The Remains (partly a cop out: it's easier than picking a top Morbid Angel out of the first three)
Tech/Prog-Death: Death - Individual Thought Patterns (Unquestionable Presence a contender, but realistically Death have to be on my list somewhere)
Classic: Judas Priest - Painkiller (no, yes, no, gah fuck off!! Shit, and that's six too, not five!)

*thud at door
Doom calling!

>:(  >:(  >:(  :abbath:  :abbath:  :abbath:

Point of order:

I'm gonna be that guy and question GNR's place on lists, not metal etc. And whatever about their first album or two, Hystetia isn't a metal album either.

#44 March 29, 2023, 03:07:00 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:18:04 PM by Thorn
Hmm, I'll await the Pantheon's ruling on that but for now I'm going to nail my colours to these five and give my head peace

1.Iron Maiden -The Number Of The Beast
2.Metallica - Master of Puppets
3.Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
4.Metallica - Kill 'Em All
5.Helloween - Walls of Jericho

Sorry, Beneath The Remains, Into Glory Ride, Blood Fire Death, I still love you, it's this fucking thread made me do it
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes