Look at us partying out on a New Year's Eve, discussing the nature of nostalgia!

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 01, 2020, 03:03:58 AM
Just watched Labyrinth over the holidays actually and found it had aged really badly too. I was probably high as a kite last time I saw it about 15 years ago and had a good recollection of it.

There are still classics that hold up. The Goonies, for example, for what it is (a family comedy adventure) is easily as good as the Indiana Jones movies.

It's also why I don't get down with the "Star Wars only seems good because of nostalgia." I'd have no problem saying I thought the originals had aged badly if I thought they had. The new ones just are, every single one except Rogue One, worse.

Agree with everything there. Something's either good, bad or inbetween. The Goonies was always a brilliant film, wonderful storytelling and some brilliant performances. It's about as good as it gets in terms of 80's kids movies, some of which were literally magical. Indiana Jones is another one. You could watch that in 20 years and it's still a great film. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, the list goes on. The original Star Wars were GREAT movies. There was no need to explain them. You just sat on your ass and you were transported to another dimension. Now, maybe you don't like space and robots etc, I get that, but there's a reason the captured the imagjnation of people the world over. Then you have Spielberg movies like ET and Back to the Future. The production on them thjngs was incredible, but I think the acting was something very different too, far more nuanced, less time in the gym and more time spent on actual lines

All that said, there's still good stuff being made but there's no excuse for the likes of the Hobbit movies or these recent Star Wars ones which are cynical exercises to milk audiences for every penny they can get. The Hobbit could have been one great movie. Was there a need to make 3 more Star Wars movies with no proper script or idea how they were going to play out?

Anyway, going back to the original point, Labyrinth was always shite. It used to weird me out as a kid. Bowie was just an odd actor, great singer, but you'd swear he never put a foot wrong the way people talk about him now.

Yeah,  there are some classics from the era of course,  some mentioned above that I agree with,  others that I'm not so arsed with.  Quality story telling is timeless.  Speaking of which, we just fired on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  What a fucking film!

Quote from: Pedrito on January 01, 2020, 10:33:58 AM

Was there a need to make 3 more Star Wars movies with no proper script or idea how they were going to play out?

To be fair Lucas didn't have an idea for the way the originals would play out, with the whole Luke and Leia kissing scene. And by Return he was happy to start milking it with the poxy fucking Ewoks

And yet countless movies and decades later we still don't know wtf is going on  :laugh:

True :laugh:

I think my biggest gripe with the new trilogy, is that they had the rights to this huge expansive universe where they could do so much with...but chose to go back to the same characters and family bickering as before

Ah well, I think I'll stick on some Indiana Jones later, have a few beers and try to forget all about them

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 01, 2020, 10:53:02 AM
Yeah,  there are some classics from the era of course,  some mentioned above that I agree with,  others that I'm not so arsed with.  Quality story telling is timeless.  Speaking of which, we just fired on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  What a fucking film!

Great film. One of my favourites.

Watched 'In The Mouth of Madness' tonight. Underrated for sure. Not up to the standard of The Thing but on a par with Prince of Darkness for sure.

Soundtrack is odd though, John Carpenter apparently tried to buy the rights to Enter Sandman but couldn't afford it, so ended up with a weird Dealz version of a Metallica song playing over the credits. Sam Neill is great in this one.

#413 January 01, 2020, 10:37:53 PM Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:39:25 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Just back from final Star Wars and can rank it as now the fifth of all the movies, triple-trilogy and the others, I would more than happily watch and rewatch; original three, Rogue One, and this.

A pleasant surprise. Not without some flaws, but some beautiful cinematography, excellent action set pieces, and a damn perfect score.

Edit to remove a potential spoiler!

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 01, 2020, 10:37:53 PM
Just back from final Star Wars and can rank it as now the fifth of all the movies, triple-trilogy and the others, I would more than happily watch and rewatch; original three, Rogue One, and this.

A pleasant surprise. Not without some flaws, but some beautiful cinematography, excellent action set pieces, and a damn perfect score.

Fairly accurate assessment of it tbh. I saw it Sunday and was surprised by it considering the state of what they did with the previous movie. 
I'll rewatch it again when a decent download of it comes out just see if it was a bit of nostalgia that made me enjoy it more. But regardless worth the money to go see on the big screen.

I thought C3PO had some funny ass bits in it. Such as when they all look at him.. the he turns and looks behind him into the distance  :laugh:

#415 January 02, 2020, 10:06:59 AM Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:53:18 AM by Eoin McLove
Tonight's entertainment- Prizzi's Honour.  I've never seen this before.  Let's go!

Edit. Total and utter load of shite.  Truly dreadful.

"Bait" and "Parasite" were the two last films I saw in 2019 and both were excellent. Desperately holding off watching a sneaky copy of "The Lighthouse" currently until it gets to cinemas.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 02, 2020, 10:06:59 AM
Tonight's entertainment- Prizzi's Honour.  I've never seen this before.  Let's go!

Ah stop, cack. Sounds like you're on a retro binge at the moment. I did the same around 10 years ago, buying up any oul cheap DVD in HMV that had 4 or 5 stars on it or a nicely worded recommendation on it. Problem is, there's so much shite like Labyrinth and Prizzi's Honor that gets thrown into the 'classic' section just because it had a famous actor or the era was right. For Nicholson you should watch Chinatown which is a stunning movie. The Last Detail and Five Easy pieces. Then there's the great classics like The Shining or One Flew Over. All that said, if you haven't seen Chinatown, get on it straight away.

I've never seen The Last Detail, I must give that a look. Chinatown and Five Easy Pieces are great, and I'd add Ironweed for the craic.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 02, 2020, 06:00:17 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 02, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Ah stop, cack. Sounds like you're on a retro binge at the moment. I did the same around 10 years ago, buying up any oul cheap DVD in HMV that had 4 or 5 stars on it or a nicely worded recommendation on it. Problem is, there's so much shite like Labyrinth and Prizzi's Honor that gets thrown into the 'classic' section just because it had a famous actor or the era was right. For Nicholson you should watch Chinatown which is a stunning movie. The Last Detail and Five Easy pieces. Then there's the great classics like The Shining or One Flew Over. All that said, if you haven't seen Chinatown, get on it straight away.

We are in the in-laws' holiday home and rooting through their DVD collection so that's what we are limited to.  I've never seen Chinatown,  Five Easy Pieces or The Last Detail but I doubt they have them here. Chinatown is on my must see list,  though.