Quote from: Ducky on December 21, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Scorcese knows what "real cinema" is, so this must be it.

Ah here, it's definitely better than that Star Wars muck.

Anyone watch the Hail Satan Documentary on Netflix?

It's a good watch, it's not satanic in the vein of black metal satanism, but it is a really good punch to the face of the bible bashers and shows how a lot of western countries mainly the US all talk about being open to all cultures and religions freedom are basically mixing church and state, and by church I mean the catholic church.

I have to admire the balls that the main lad shows (graves or something) when he's being interviewed on TV. He's a bit like LaVey but less theatrical but that statue they make, fuck I'd love it in my house. I guess I'll have to stick to my 6" statue then! Anyone else see this?

Quote from: Pedrito on December 21, 2019, 07:14:09 PM
Quote from: Ducky on December 21, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Scorcese knows what "real cinema" is, so this must be it.

Ah here, it's definitely better than that Star Wars muck.

He's obviously made some all time classics, but deserves a slap for what he said a while ago (and I'm no fan of the Marvel films).

Both a fan of Scorsese and the Marvel films - and he's entitled to his opinion, however machinated it may be towards creating controversy. The problem is, being part of Hollywood, that he also is in the business of selling us his films, not unlike the Disney/Marvel machine - making his comments on 'not real cinema' turn out to be somewhat hypocritical.

Watching Rambo.. Just done the 'gettin ready' montage..

I'm so pumped up right now  ::) ::)

RAAAAAMMBBBOOOO  :abbath: :abbath: :abbath:

Rewatching The Castle.  Always a winner!

Quote from: Aborted on December 22, 2019, 11:04:35 PM
Watching Rambo.. Just done the 'gettin ready' montage..

I'm so pumped up right now  ::) ::)

RAAAAAMMBBBOOOO  :abbath: :abbath: :abbath:

How did you find it?  :abbath:

I enjoyed it, the first hour is slow, then it busts into a montage and it ramps up to full 80's shoot all the things and blow up all the stuff  ::)

Yep, thought it was class  :laugh: :laugh:

Started Lethal Weapon 1 today, gona go through the 4 of them. Still great entertainment.

#400 December 31, 2019, 10:03:02 PM Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:26:38 PM by Eoin McLove
Labyrinth. What a load of utter shite.  The lesson learned is leave your childhood alone. Nostalgia sucks.

Yep it was poop even back in the day

I dunno. If a film is really nostalgic for me no matter how shit it is I'll still enjoy them when I stick them on.

I have a low threshold for silly nostalgia,  I have to admit.  The A-Team, McGyver, Labyrinth, Under Siege, and pretty much every 80s action flick.  Loved them as a kid.  Love the memories of them. But looking at them now,  they just downright bore the tits off me.  The nostalgia factor only works in the memory but not in the re-living off these things for me.  I've pretty much no interest in watching things 'ironically' either. 

Just watched Labyrinth over the holidays actually and found it had aged really badly too. I was probably high as a kite last time I saw it about 15 years ago and had a good recollection of it.

There are still classics that hold up. The Goonies, for example, for what it is (a family comedy adventure) is easily as good as the Indiana Jones movies.

It's also why I don't get down with the "Star Wars only seems good because of nostalgia." I'd have no problem saying I thought the originals had aged badly if I thought they had. The new ones just are, every single one except Rogue One, worse.