Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. A bit lacking on the clever dialogue and for the majority of it there wasn't a whole lot going on but the last 25mins were class.

Saw that John Wick 3 yesterday. Some class action sequences, thoroughly enjoyable show.

The story being so unbelievably ridiculous and it not taking itself seriously adds to it. The 'go for the mickey' dogs, class :)

Watched Red Sparrow earlier. For a political thriller, it was decidedly low on thrills.

Quote from: Necr0rceN on December 21, 2019, 08:52:36 PM
Anyone watch the Hail Satan Documentary on Netflix?

It's a good watch, it's not satanic in the vein of black metal satanism, but it is a really good punch to the face of the bible bashers and shows how a lot of western countries mainly the US all talk about being open to all cultures and religions freedom are basically mixing church and state, and by church I mean the catholic church.

I have to admire the balls that the main lad shows (graves or something) when he's being interviewed on TV. He's a bit like LaVey but less theatrical but that statue they make, fuck I'd love it in my house. I guess I'll have to stick to my 6" statue then! Anyone else see this?
Yeah, it's very funny, but quite really quite sinister presentation overall - and I'm not talking about the Satanic Temple.

Recently watched:
Star Wars - alright entertainment but too much of a PC box-ticking exercise, too much crammed into that portion of time to be a genuinely good movie.
Thunder Road - quite enjoyable though treads an uncomfortable line between comedy and grief.
Valkyrie - took a truly amazing story and sucked much of the tension out of it.
Black 47 - A re-watch, still very enjoyable. Terminator set during the famine, what's not to like?

My daughter is getting really into horror lately so I (re) watched "the Shining" this weekend, and then we followed it up with "Doctor Sleep", which I hadn't seen yet and which we both thought was crap.
Also finally watched "Midsommar" and I guess it's proof that apparently you can polish a turd - every bit as tedious as I expected, even though it's visually wonderful. Ari Aster is absolutely the Emperor's New Clothes of horror directors.

Watched Marriage Story with Scarlett Johanssen and that Sirius Snape Jedi lad. Excellent performances by both. Well worth a watch.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 06, 2020, 09:07:28 AM
My daughter is getting really into horror lately so I (re) watched "the Shining" this weekend, and then we followed it up with "Doctor Sleep", which I hadn't seen yet and which we both thought was crap.
Also finally watched "Midsommar" and I guess it's proof that apparently you can polish a turd - every bit as tedious as I expected, even though it's visually wonderful. Ari Aster is absolutely the Emperor's New Clothes of horror directors.
Midsommar was so bizarre, it was a slow burn but I was onboard until the *spoiler* sex scene, the cinema was pretty much silent for the first two hours of the film and then spent the last 20 minutes laughing their heads off.

I really enjoyed Midsommar, even the demented last section. I didn't mind it going off into slightly ridiculous territory like that. I haven't looked at bears in the same way since.

I went to see the new Jumanji last night. Stupid, as expected, but very, very funny.

Ya I was a big fan of midsommar as well. That scene where they dance around the maypole was excellent and the music during that scene was great as well.

Maybe it's a cinema thing, I haven't watched it on a telly yet. In the cinema, the building sense of dread was quite intense, really quite disturbing. The music, the way things weren't translated to the protagonists or the audience, it all worked.

I haven't seen it myself but I'd go along with it being 'a cinema thing'. In that environment, your senses are heightened and more focussed so you're always going to get more out of it than watching it on telly, with all the distractions that go with it.

I just don't like the guy's films regardless of where I watch them. I saw "Hereditary" on a big screen and small screen and didn't find much difference - I watched this one alone and without distraction at home with headphones on. His cinematography is great, sure, but I just didn't find it engaging on a story or character level at all. He seems to have developed this formula of "long drawn out drama with OTT final half hour" which barely worked in "Hereditary" and straight up annoyed me in this one. It's a matter of taste I guess. I thought "Blair Witch" was garbage when it came out as well and everyone else raved at me about how tense and uncomfortable it was too.

I'm increasingly unimpressed with the idea of "elevated" horror and this guy is the prime example of why.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 07, 2020, 01:50:38 PM
I thought "Blair Witch" was garbage when it came out as well and everyone else raved at me about how tense and uncomfortable it was too.
Blair Witch was utter tripe... end of!

Quote from: jobrok1 on January 07, 2020, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 07, 2020, 01:50:38 PM
I thought "Blair Witch" was garbage when it came out as well and everyone else raved at me about how tense and uncomfortable it was too.
Blair Witch was utter tripe... end of!

One of my favourite horrors ha.

Stuff I enjoyed over the Yule period were,
Trumbo, with Bryan Cranston, It's about a screen writer being blacklisted in Hollywood during the Communist panics.
True Story, with Jonah Hill. About a journalist falling under the spell of a murderer. Understated good performances and nicely shot. (Both are based on true stories)
Rupture, with Noomi Rapace, weird low budget sci-fi horror. Not great, but the pacing and slow drip of info made it enjoyable.