Yeah just too damn many of them. And I'm in alignment with Batman etc. I remember Burtons one being such an event, it was due a remake and it felt fresh. They're all the same now, not a hope of the studios allowing a decade or two to pass without re-mining it.

#4621 October 13, 2024, 12:03:46 PM Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 12:27:32 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
How is a guy who is famous, but not famous for being a good actor, doing crap films (Daniel Radcliffe) like people who are famous for being good actors bringing that acting skill to arguably trivial roles (i.e. Joaquin Phoenix)? I say arguably because (nerd that I am, admittedly) I don't personally see any reason why a fictional character like the Joker can't be written and portrayed with as much depth as, say, Raskolnikov: they're both fictional characters at the end of the day. Worth noting that all the "serious" Joker portrayals (Nicholson, Ledger, Phoenix) were largely inspired by Alan Moore's treatment of the character in The Killing Joke. If Moore thinks something merits serious treatment, I tend not to disagree. I do agree that there are too many adaptations being made from that basic idea though.

The bigger "artistic" problem for me is when you have people who are famous for being good actors phoning in superhero film performances in roles that have absolutely zero depth written into them. Like, I'm baffled when I see Anthony Hopkins or Cate Blanchett turn up in utterly 1-dimensional superhero parts.

I'd imagine the older serious actors are treating them as a couple of final big pay days, and for minimal effort. Sort of like how so many of the musicians from the 60s and 70s are selling off their catalogues for huge money

I think Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix played The Joker with great skill to be fair to them. And two completely different imaginings of the character that worked great in the context of the respective films. I wouldn't watch any of the superhero universe things if I was paid to though. I just can't see any merit in any of them

Quote from: Trev on October 13, 2024, 01:56:15 PMI'd imagine the older serious actors are treating them as a couple of final big pay days, and for minimal effort. Sort of like how so many of the musicians from the 60s and 70s are selling off their catalogues for huge money

Spot on

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 13, 2024, 12:03:46 PMHow is a guy who is famous, but not famous for being a good actor, doing crap films (Daniel Radcliffe) like people who are famous for being good actors bringing that acting skill to arguably trivial roles (i.e. Joaquin Phoenix)? I say arguably because (nerd that I am, admittedly) I don't personally see any reason why a fictional character like the Joker can't be written and portrayed with as much depth as, say, Raskolnikov: they're both fictional characters at the end of the day. Worth noting that all the "serious" Joker portrayals (Nicholson, Ledger, Phoenix) were largely inspired by Alan Moore's treatment of the character in The Killing Joke. If Moore thinks something merits serious treatment, I tend not to disagree. I do agree that there are too many adaptations being made from that basic idea though.

The bigger "artistic" problem for me is when you have people who are famous for being good actors phoning in superhero film performances in roles that have absolutely zero depth written into them. Like, I'm baffled when I see Anthony Hopkins or Cate Blanchett turn up in utterly 1-dimensional superhero parts.

Where's me fuckin shotgun.

Watched a new film called Strange Darling, great little thriller.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 13, 2024, 12:03:46 PMHow is a guy who is famous, but not famous for being a good actor, doing crap films (Daniel Radcliffe) like people who are famous for being good actors bringing that acting skill to arguably trivial roles (i.e. Joaquin Phoenix)? I say arguably because (nerd that I am, admittedly) I don't personally see any reason why a fictional character like the Joker can't be written and portrayed with as much depth as, say, Raskolnikov: they're both fictional characters at the end of the day. Worth noting that all the "serious" Joker portrayals (Nicholson, Ledger, Phoenix) were largely inspired by Alan Moore's treatment of the character in The Killing Joke. If Moore thinks something merits serious treatment, I tend not to disagree. I do agree that there are too many adaptations being made from that basic idea though.

Payday, a movie that they can bring the kids/grandkids to, keeps the agent quiet and may help with getting a more snooty critic movie off the ground.

I watched The Butcher Boy for the first time since being a young lad. Such a dark and funny film. Definitely up there as one of the best Irish flicks. I watched Shrooms last night and thought it was garbage ha ha. Might give the 2nd Terrifier a watch during the week

Watched a few trashy 80's horror gems over the last few weeks: The Blob, Critters, Critters 2, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

The Butcher Boy is savage. Met that lad's brother at a fest in Austria about 10 years ago. Hammered chatting to these Irish lads and then clocked yer man, "are you Francie fucking Brady?". All his mates erupted. "No, that's my brother, (whatever his name is)"  :laugh: Can't go anywhere.

#4631 October 14, 2024, 11:33:19 AM Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 12:21:46 PM by StoutAndAle
Ive never seen any of the Harry Potter films or read the books because I am an adult (see Stewart Lee bit below) so I'm not familiar with much of Radcliffe's oeuvre but I watched "Imperium" a few weeks back, it's a decent film and he's quite good in it.

Looking at his IMDB - it's the only thing that I've ever seen him in.

Watched "Under Paris" the other night - a bit hokey in places but a fun shark film overall.

Also watched "The International". The plot is a bit all over the shop but there are some great action sequences in it, particularly the centre-piece gunfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8shqjr6O8

#4632 October 15, 2024, 07:08:26 AM Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 07:10:56 AM by Paul keohane
The Substance,I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! :laugh:

Youd still tear the fireplace out of Demi Moore in her 60s!

Are her many plastic surgeries addressed in it or does it try and pass her appearance off as 'natural', because that would be hilarious?

Quote from: Carnage on October 15, 2024, 11:32:33 AMAre her many plastic surgeries addressed in it or does it try and pass her appearance off as 'natural', because that would be hilarious?

I'd forgive her.