#4590 September 24, 2024, 11:36:44 PM Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 08:29:09 PM by Mooncat
Speaking of Dark Knight, I always hated that part where he turns everyone's phones into a kind of weird 3D tracking system. That was the part that always lifted me out of the film and felt a bit naff, and not particularly believable. Given that article in the other thread (Are we all fucked thread maybe?) where they can now triangulate people's positions in a room from their wifi...well don't I look the fool now.

EDIT: I should add, it comes from a place of modern films just using tech as a cheap plot device. Think of the Mission: Impossible movies where no matter what problem they're faced with they just have some magic tech gadget to overcome it. That's what that Dark Knight scene felt like to me in the mid 2000s.

Quote from: Mooncat on September 24, 2024, 11:36:44 PMSpeaking of Dark Knight, I always hated that part where he turns everyone's phones into a kind of weird 3D tracking system. That was the part that always lifted me out of the film and felt a bit naff, and not particularly believable. Given that article in the other thread (Are we all fucked thread maybe?) where they can now triangulate people's positions in a room from their wifi...well don't I look the fool now.

EDIT: I should add, it comes from a place of modern films just using tech as a cheap plot device. Think of the Mission: Impossible movies where no matter what problem they're faced with they just have some magic tech gadget to overcome it. That's what that Dark Night scene felt like to me in the mid 2000s.

I know exactly what you mean and it's been annoying in films since I've been watching films. No ingenuity, just suspend your brain because there's a bit of tech to sort it. I suppose it's the bond thing except it's not bond

Bond came to mind immediately.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. Bitta craic.

John Carpenter has taken to reviewing movies, his own and others, on letterboxd:
https://x.com/kyjohnz/status/1839192126246031388

Gold  :laugh:  :abbath:

Watched the first two Evil Dead films over two nights. Absolute classics both of them. Ive always preferred the first one though. I can't believe how good it is for what is essentially film students making a no budget film in the woods. I also prefer its relentless intense horror tone to the more comedy stylings of the other two.

The whole card reading/"one by one we will take you"/ankle stabbing scene is one of my favourites in any film ever.

Still one of only two films a girlfriend has ever made me turn off  :laugh: (the other being Demons)

Watched Ichi The Killer the other night, awful shite. Cartoon gore was all it had going for it, and I've no time for that anymore. Still, it's chalked off the list now.

Just watched Troll on Netflix. The 2022 Norwegian one, not the '80s shite horror. Very silly and good fun. Great effects.

Yeah I thought Troll was very well done. My teenage self would have found that all very believable, the Trollhunter was very convincing. #beingworldlywisesucks
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Finally got around to Under The Skin in our Jonathan Glazer retrospective which took far too long considering he only has four films. Definitely got way more into this one this time, having already appreciated it well enough first time. Only four, but what a body of work! I wouldn't be complaining if he ever so slightly increased his rate of output  :laugh:

Quote from: Mooncat on September 30, 2024, 03:52:16 PMWatched the first two Evil Dead films over two nights. Absolute classics both of them. Ive always preferred the first one though. I can't believe how good it is for what is essentially film students making a no budget film in the woods. I also prefer its relentless intense horror tone to the more comedy stylings of the other two.

The whole card reading/"one by one we will take you"/ankle stabbing scene is one of my favourites in any film ever.

Still one of only two films a girlfriend has ever made me turn off  :laugh: (the other being Demons)

Evil Dead 2 is / was way better . A remake with humour and better filmmaking techniques. A Masterclass.

Watched De Palma's Dressed To Kill last night, never seen it. A good watch, but far from his best. Then Revenge, French horror movie from 2017, same director as new film The Substance. Will definitely be checking out the latter. Revenge is pretty damn good, "efficace" as the French might say.

Watched Tom Yun Goong, a Thai DVD martial arts film starring Tony Jaa
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom-Yum-Goong

Got it as part of a massive [free]  haul of Thai and Chinese DVDs, VCD's and VHS tapes.  About 50 different titles. Free giveaway outside a shop in a local, primarily Vietnamese suburb.

Watched the new Michael Keaton thriller "A Killer's Memory" - (AKA "Knox Goes Away") - on Amazon. Keaton plays a contract killer called John Knox who shortly after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of dementia has to help his estranged son.

It's a bit hokey in places and looks like it was shot on a camcorder but Keaton and Al Pacino pull it up out of the mire.

Keaton also directed it.

I am still wondering why they didn't call it "Forget Me, Knox" though... 

Anyone chanced the new Joker one yet? Just wondering if it's as bad as the reviews.

I'll prob give it a go out of curiosity once it's on usual streaming sites. Otherwise I'd have no inclination to go see it. To roughly quote one reviewer, it's the sequel no-one asked for. The first one was grand, even if it wore its King of Comedy heart too prominently on its sleeve. They should have just left it at that. And it's some kind of quasi-musical as well?!