Ah it was mighty. Felt like being a kid again. I went with my brother who, despite being 44 years of age, had NEVER FUCKING SEEN Star Wars. He enjoyed it, but seemed reluctant to commit to ...Empire... next week.

My only compaint would be that the audio was inconsistent - one line would be quite muffled, the next would be crystal clear. Odd, as Lucas has messed with the films so much with every re-release that you'd think they'd have it down by now (I'm aware that he's out of the game now).

One thing I would say is that some of the 'special edition/remastered' additions work much better on the big screen than the small screen, the X-Wing Deathstar approach scenes for example. On the other hand, the Tattooine Dewbacks and Rontos looked awful and shoehorned in, and the less said about the Jabba scene the better. Fucking hell.

Anyway, can't wait for The Empire Strikes Back next week.

Longlegs. It was alright, I spent more time being reminded of other films than being engaged in this one - as well as the previously mentioned Zodiac and The Silence Of The Lambs there was a lot of Seven, Carrie and Angel Heart in it for me. Very silly ending but it had its moments and Cage was nicely creepy.

Quote from: Carnage on September 10, 2024, 12:27:04 AMLonglegs. It was alright, I spent more time being reminded of other films than being engaged in this one - as well as the previously mentioned Zodiac and The Silence Of The Lambs there was a lot of Seven, Carrie and Angel Heart in it for me. Very silly ending but it had its moments and Cage was nicely creepy.

I thought Longlegs was ok but had potential to be better...

Oh, lots of it. I'm sure there'll be a disappointing sequel.

The marketing did go pretty hard on it, but it's extremely well shot and a decent Friday night movie.
Cage looks like the dude from Steel Panther in it though 😂

I was trying to pin down who he sounded like, it just came to me: Paul Bearer.

We watched and enjoyed Amsterdam tonight, turned up on Prime. Could really have done with having the last 5 minutes cut out, but we enjoyed it. Ridiculous ensemble cast!

Watched Jurassic Park in preparation for a weekend away to Drumheller, one of the dino fossil capitals of the world. Despite seeing it many times over the years, somehow it still retains that magic of when I saw it in '93 as a 9yr old. Great film. Still bothers me that Muldoon chose to take the time to say 'clever girl' instead of just turning and shooting.

Just back from The Empire Strikes Back, first time to see it on a big screen since its original release. Looked much better than Star Wars last week, the 'special edition' additions were less obvious bar a couple of Cloud City shots. Class.

Return Of The Jedi next week.

Went to see the new Alien last week and Beetlejuice there last night. Both pretty enjoyable, although there is a part in Alien I didn't particularly like. No spoilers of course. Beetlejuice in genuinely funny and a decent sequel. Very well cast I thought and continues in the spirit of the first one. A lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Quote from: Necro Red on September 13, 2024, 10:07:42 AMalthough there is a part in Alien I didn't particularly like. No spoilers

Yep, THAT part is truly terrible, isn't it? Not a bad film, not great either, but I'm still astounded how anyone involved in that film watched those bits back and thought it worked out well.
Finally got around to the Robert Pattinson Batman...less said the better. I'm such a fan of the Bale trilogy to the point where I'm almost oblivious to it's flaws (there are a few) but fuck me that was almost unwatchable. Just such a dour, lifeless film. It (almost) had me yearning for the high-camp of the Kilmer and Clooney versions.

I've seen the Pattinson Batman twice and love it, found it a really great piece of cinema in terms of visual aesthetic and sound design especially.

In other news, Daniel Craig playing William Burroughs in Luca Guadagnino's new movie Queer: paint me intrigued and eager to see! Guadagnino has also gotten Reznor and Ross back on board for the soundtrack too. As much as I disliked Call Me By Your Name, I thought Challengers was quality, but neither of them really provide any way of knowing how well or otherwise this director will tackle Burroughs' world.

Late Night With The Devil - Framed as a 'lost' '70s talk show Halloween episode where a medium, skeptic and a supposedly possessed cult survivor are guests as things start to get weird. Very silly TBH but it had its moments.

#4573 September 15, 2024, 11:35:38 PM Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 09:35:38 AM by open face surgery
Thought Late Night.. was great. Daft but why not!? Cool style.

Oddity. Irish horror. Enjoyed it.

Quote from: Carnage on September 15, 2024, 10:32:06 PMLate Night With The Devil - Framed as a 'lost' '70s talk show Halloween episode where a medium, skeptic and a supposedly possessed cult survivor are guests as things start to get weird. Very silly TBH but it had its moments.

That's probably my favourite horror of the recent ones I saw.