Quote from: Paul keohane on October 15, 2024, 07:08:26 AMThe Substance,I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! :laugh:

Youd still tear the fireplace out of Demi Moore in her 60s!
I watched The Substance last night and really enjoyed it. Nice few nods to my favorite director's while still glholding its own. Got for the spooky season. Demi Moore is great in it.

Quote from: leatherface on October 04, 2024, 11:21:54 PMEvil Dead 2 is / was way better . A remake with humour and better filmmaking techniques. A Masterclass.

Evil Dead 1 is the best for me bringing humour into it was what ruined it for me. I don't want humour when I watch a horror film. The Army of Darkness is even worse.

Doing a thing now I try to do every year in October where I watch one horror a day in the run up to halloween. So far I have watched;

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead 3
Friday the 13th
Deep Red
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (a classic)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (shite)
Last house on the left
Amityville 1
Four Flies on grey velvet
The blood on satans claw

I can't remember off the top of my head what else I have watched. I have seen all of these many times before and I am saving the best ones for the weekend like the original Chainsaw Massacre, Amityville 2, Hellraiser 1, Exorcist 3 etc. and I usually watch Suspiria on Halloween night. I have an old DVD wallet full of Fulchi, Argento, Guinea Pig films and loads of obscure 70's and 80's horror that I have to dig out soon.

As for the Joker I thought the first one was the most overrated film of the last decade so I am not surprised the follow seems to be terrible.

I honestly don't think the first joker was overrated at all but it really should have been left alone by all accounts.

I've never seen Suspiria. Is it really the good one to save for Halloween night?

Yes it's one of the best if not the best horror film ever made. The original of course not the remake. The you need to watch Inferno after it.

Hated the original, I'm curious about the remake but not curious enough to have watched it yet.

Just added Inferno to the watchlist, never seen it. I wouldn't rate Suspiria as one of my personal top horror movies, but I do like it, and Profondo Rosso too. Not sure if I've seen any others from him beside those two.

The animal trilogy is great and so is Tenebrae. I haven't seen the Mother of Tears since it came out in 2007 which is the third part of the Three Mothers trilogy (Suspiria and Inferno being the first two parts). Each film deals with one of the three mothers who are ancient witches trying to take over the world. I don't remember the Mother of Tears being all that great but I must rewatch it.

Quote from: mickO))) on October 16, 2024, 09:22:37 PM
Quote from: leatherface on October 04, 2024, 11:21:54 PMEvil Dead 2 is / was way better . A remake with humour and better filmmaking techniques. A Masterclass.

Evil Dead 1 is the best for me bringing humour into it was what ruined it for me. I don't want humour when I watch a horror film. The Army of Darkness is even worse.

Doing a thing now I try to do every year in October where I watch one horror a day in the run up to halloween. So far I have watched;

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead 3
Friday the 13th
Deep Red
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (a classic)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (shite)
Last house on the left
Amityville 1
Four Flies on grey velvet
The blood on satans claw

I can't remember off the top of my head what else I have watched. I have seen all of these many times before and I am saving the best ones for the weekend like the original Chainsaw Massacre, Amityville 2, Hellraiser 1, Exorcist 3 etc. and I usually watch Suspiria on Halloween night. I have an old DVD wallet full of Fulchi, Argento, Guinea Pig films and loads of obscure 70's and 80's horror that I have to dig out soon.

As for the Joker I thought the first one was the most overrated film of the last decade so I am not surprised the follow seems to be terrible.

Army of Darkness is, taken on its merits, just brilliant craic. It's not a horror film.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on October 17, 2024, 05:46:54 AMArmy of Darkness is, taken on its merits, just brilliant craic. It's not a horror film.

It feels like a sellout to me and I didn't even find it funny either.

I have to watch the tv show at some stage I remember it getting great reviews when it came out. I saw the first two episodes of it then I moved abroad and didn't have a tv for a few months so never got to see the rest.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are among the ultimate in stoner movies so it's not really much of a surprise that they would appeal less to someone looking for "proper" horror. I'm looking forward to finally watching the first one now after reading these messages: one of those things where in my 20s the mate who first showed me ED2 just dismissed the first one as like a rough work version of 2 and gave me the impression it wasn't worth bothering with.

Quote from: mickO))) on October 17, 2024, 10:59:20 AM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on October 17, 2024, 05:46:54 AMArmy of Darkness is, taken on its merits, just brilliant craic. It's not a horror film.

It feels like a sellout to me and I didn't even find it funny either.

I have to watch the tv show at some stage I remember it getting great reviews when it came out. I saw the first two episodes of it then I moved abroad and didn't have a tv for a few months so never got to see the rest.
the show is a lot like Evil Dead 2 and 3 humour wise. It is over the top gore at times which is entertaining. Campbell is pure cheese and doesn't take himself seriously. Some great one liners in there too. Personally I love them all. I watched the second Terrifier last night. Eh, not amazing, not terrible. Just meh, can take it or leave it really.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 17, 2024, 11:17:58 AMEvil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are among the ultimate in stoner movies so it's not really much of a surprise that they would appeal less to someone looking for "proper" horror.

If they were at least funny then I wouldn't have an issue with them but I didn't find them funny at all. It was just that stupid type of humour that has ruined most modern films. The type of stuff you see in Deadpool or the Batman lego film or the latest shite Will Ferrell has put out. I was smoking an eRig while watching them and that didn't help either.

Quote from: Necro Red on October 17, 2024, 11:23:42 AMthe show is a lot like Evil Dead 2 and 3 humour wise. It is over the top gore at times which is entertaining. Campbell is pure cheese and doesn't take himself seriously. Some great one liners in there too. Personally I love them all.

At least with it being a tv show I can try to separate it from the films and I will try to go in being as unbiased as possible because I do love Bruce Campbell he was even great in that X-Files episode he did.

Evil Deadpool  :laugh:

(I hate Deadpool's humour...I see where you're coming from, but that's harsh, haha!)

When it comes to comedy give me the Naked Guns, Kingpin, European Gigolo, 1997 and down Jim Carrey etc.

Finally got to see Alien: Romulus AKA Alien's Greatest Hits. Overflowing with familiarity and nods to the first 2 or 3 films, it didn't have much in the way of distinct character, although the android* was fairly well plotted and played. The facehugger scenes were decent enough and the zero gravity section was outstanding, and it looked great to be fair - aside from that CGI character, nice idea but it looked rushed.

Worth a watch but very familiar, bar the odd twist.

*I finished it about half an hour ago but couldn't name a single character, they're all quite one dimensional and forgettable.