Crank would have been a better call alright

Crank is so fucking mental!
The second tried a bit too hard, though.

I saw them in reverse order so I still like the second one. The Mike Patton soundtrack on Crank 2 didn't hurt either I used to listen to that fairly regularly

#4338 May 26, 2024, 03:38:31 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 11:10:45 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Watched Golda tonight. Grand. Though total mystery why they got a giant man to play Kissinger. He was literally the tallest man in the room in one scene. Could've got yer man Jonah Hill to play him for a bit of comic relief.

Quote from: jobrok1 on May 22, 2024, 12:16:17 PMCrank is so fucking mental!
The second tried a bit too hard, though.

Yeah, they got left to their own devices and the movie suffered for it. Reeks of mid 2000s edginess. Good forgettable fun but you can see why the directors got themselves bumped back to dtv shite.

Civil War is not a good movie, meh at best.

#4341 May 27, 2024, 09:53:04 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 09:54:38 AM by StoutAndAle
"Days Of Thunder" - never saw it before. Enjoyable shite - the best way to describe most Tom Cruise films.

"Moneyball" - a re-watch of this one. For some reason I thought that it was more jokey - kinda "Wolf Of Wall Street/The Big Short" in its tone. Far more serious than I remember. Very good film though.

"BlackBerry" - biopic of the lads involved in the creation of the eponymous smartphone. Very well done. For fans of things like "Halt And Catch Fire", "Silicon Valley" and the recent "Tetris". Glenn Howerton is excellent.

"Angel Has Fallen" - halfway through a bottle of Bordeaux and full of Sunday dinner I threw this on. I had seen the first two in the series. Diminishing returns all the way but grand to watch while I finished the second half of the bottle.

I love the '...Fallen' movies.
Still holding out hope for a fourth.

Quote from: jobrok1 on May 27, 2024, 11:51:33 AMI love the '...Fallen' movies.
Still holding out hope for a fourth.

I didn't realise that it was directed by Ric Roman Waugh until I saw the credits rolling. I watched his movie, "Shot Caller", a week or two ago.

Have you seen "Greenland" or "Kandahar" - both are also by Waugh and star Gerard Butler. I haven't watched either of them yet but they seem to have gotten solid reviews.

#4344 May 27, 2024, 03:56:48 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:22:24 PM by jobrok1
To be fair, nearly all of Butler's action flicks are all of the same standard.

As fart as I'm aware he's involved in the production of them all.
Cleer boy! Set himself up nicely for the longrun.

Watched Grizzly Man there last night. First time in a good few years. Still as great as ever, though Treadwell is clearly mentally unwell.

As a side note, I'm currently reading Into the Wild and it is the perfect companion to Grizzly Man. So much overlap in their stories. Never saw the film version. McCandless seems to be a lot more romanticized in popular culture though. I wonder is it because we never got to see him, so people can fill in the blanks with their mind. Whereas with Treadwell you can immediately see there's something wrong with him from watching his footage. Perhaps McCandless would have given a similar impression if he'd filmed himself too.

I read that a few years ago, I thought it was interesting despite the author injecting too much of himself into the book (that being said, I'd like to read his book on the Everest disaster, though apparently large fistfuls of salt are required). McCandless isn't a particularly sympathetic figure, rejecting most of the sensible advice he'd been given out of a mixture of naivety and arrogance, I thought.

#4347 May 28, 2024, 05:24:00 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 05:26:33 PM by Mooncat
I've been meaning to read his other book too. The film version of that event (think it's just called Everest?) was actually a decent watch. Not a super great movie, but cool if you're interested in the event or mountain climbing.

As naive as McCandless comes across, I do understand how powerful the allure of the romanticism of that kind of trip is. His story is like a cross between On the Road and White Fang. The rejection of the bullshit of normal life to just go travelling around like that requires some balls (or in his case, mental health concerns). He had some adventure right up until the point he died.

About 2hrs from me on the way to The Rockies is a highway called the Scenic Route to Alaska. Every time I drive by and see the sign I get the urge to just make that right turn and leave it all behind  :laugh:

(Disclaimer: I would die in about 4hrs in the wilderness...)

Went to the cinema for the first time in ages, saw kingdom of the planet of the apes, very enjoyable, worth the watch.