Watched "Unfrosted" the other night. The new Jerry Seinfeld film. I dunno what it's supposed to be - doesn't seem much like a kids film nor much like a proper comedy. It's a bit all over the shop and a bit shite - with a few laughs spread very thinly over it's mercifully short run time.

On a completely different note - continuing my '90s films that I missed saga - I watched David Fincher's "The Game". I thought it was great fun, my wife said that it was "too weird" and checked out. I really enjoyed Michael Douglas coming undone and Sean Penn as the on-the-edge kid brother. It falls apart totally in the last act but I still thought it was good craic.

Can anyone tell me - is the film supposed to be that dark? As in visually... A few points during it, I thought my TV was broken.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 07, 2024, 12:26:57 PMWatched "Unfrosted" the other night. The new Jerry Seinfeld film. I dunno what it's supposed to be - doesn't seem much like a kids film nor much like a proper comedy. It's a bit all over the shop and a bit shite - with a few laughs spread very thinly over it's mercifully short run time.

On a completely different note - continuing my '90s films that I missed saga - I watched David Fincher's "The Game". I thought it was great fun, my wife said that it was "too weird" and checked out. I really enjoyed Michael Douglas coming undone and Sean Penn as the on-the-edge kid brother. It falls apart totally in the last act but I still thought it was good craic.

Can anyone tell me - is the film supposed to be that dark? As in visually... A few points during it, I thought my TV was broken.

Yeah it's always looked that way. Fincher always lit his stuff dark but they were taking the piss on The Game. I did spot it on Prime the other night and definitely need to revisit it.

I recall being super let down by it when it came out because Se7en & Alien 3 ruled.

Quote from: Sworntothecans on May 07, 2024, 03:32:14 PMYeah it's always looked that way. Fincher always lit his stuff dark but they were taking the piss on The Game. I did spot it on Prime the other night and definitely need to revisit it.

I recall being super let down by it when it came out because Se7en & Alien 3 ruled.

Nice one. Prime is where I watched it actually. It was pitch black around the edges in certain scenes - couldn't work out if it was a stylistic choice or what.

I've never seen "Alien 3". I own it on DVD as part of an Alien/Predator box set that I bought years ago. Must throw it on.

Watched Alien 3 the other night after it being mentioned here. Yeah it's still great apart from maybe 2 bad bits of CGI but you'd forgive that from 1992. It has a very different feel to the first two as well in general or well i thought it did anyway

Got round to Ridley Scott's Napoleon tonight. Bit flat but grand. Irish grand, that is, not French.

Watched Love Lies Bleeding yesterday. Very good.

Next on the player. The 4k remaster of The Abyss!

The Abyss is so fucking overrated!

I really like it. Apart from the ending.

The Game is great craic. The end is silly as hell but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment.

"Manhunter" - Michael Mann's third feature film and first adaptation of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon". I was fully convinced that I had seen this before but it turns out that I hadn't.

Stylistic flourishes out the ying-yang - which is to be expected from Mann and great performances from several of the main cast. Why William Petersen's career didn't explode after this and "To Live and Die In LA" coming out within 9 months of each other is a mystery.

Some great songs on the sound track too. The film-editing is fucking dreadful in places though. No idea how the edits got past Mann who is a perfectionist.

Also watched "Juice" - early '90s hood flick staring Omar Epps and Tupuc Shakur. Never saw this either. Good stuff - evenly paced and clocking in at 90 mins. Tupac is ice-cold in the elevator scene.

Deadly soundtrack as well. 

Juice is on my list of hood films I've never seen, haven't got round to it yet though.

Watched Birth (2004) last night, Jonathan Glazer's second full length and only one I'd never seen before. Really enjoyed it, surely one of Kidman's best performances. Looking forward even more now to revisiting Sexy Beast and Under the Skin, both of which I've only seen once, about twenty years ago and upon initial release.

Went to see the fall guy yesterday off sick from work after getting a glowing review from a friend - Well I should have listened to my gut, what an absolute load of shite. We almost left twice it was so bad. It encapsulates everything that's wrong with modern cinema. And please, I'm begging, no more classic rock soundtracks.

"Shot Caller" - bit of a low budget/B-grade prison/action flick but pretty well done to be fair - Michael Mann-lite.

Solid cast including Nik Waldau, Jeffrey Donovan and Jon Bernthal. On Netflix currently.

Can't stand Bernthal.

Watched that new Godzilla x Kong one last night. Utterly ridiculous (it makes the previous one look like The Godfather by comparison) but a bit of forgettable CGI nonsense and craic.

Watched Injustuce after, a DC animated one where a griefstricken Superman becomes a fascist dictator. Not bad, the comics were better. I think it was a game originally.

Ya, I can't stand Bernhal either.