Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 03, 2024, 09:14:20 PMAngel Heart is classic, must give it another watch soon.

Same era, watched Lair of the White Worm the other night, by Ken Russell. The Devils it definitely ain't. British schlock, nowhere near as entertaining as your average Hammer, starring Amanda Donohue plus very young Peter Capaldi and Hugh Grant.

Have to admit I love Lair of the White Worm. It's so cheap and ridiculous. The hallucination scenes are something else. Goes well with Q: The Winged Serpent for a good 80s creature feature double bill.

Quote from: jobrok1 on April 03, 2024, 07:57:29 PMAdkins is great.
Cheap and cheerful fight flicks, but he's the real deal, to be fair.

Michael Jai White kinda phoned in his performance on the second flick here, though.

Another Adkins one I watched recently was Avengement. Mental OTT stuff altogether. British crime drama crossed with ridiculous ass-kickery. Great one to watch with a couple of cans

Absolutely loved Adkins in the 4th John Wick movie. Still great martial arts even with a fat suit on, but his scenery-chewing character was by far the most entertaining part of the film for me. Would love to see him take on more roles like that. Felt like a cheesy, old-school Bond henchman.

The first hallucination scene was quality, I'll give it that. The subsequent ones, less so :laugh:

Will stick Q: The Winged Serpent on me list though!

Looks like Dune Part Two leaked a couple days ago.

#4203 April 08, 2024, 11:14:50 PM Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:18:04 PM by Carnage
Yep, turned up on HDToday earlier.

I watched that Scoop film the other day, the one about the Newsnight Prince Andrew interview. Essentially an ITV drama, it was alright. Passed an hour and a half anyway.

"He Got Game" - a fairly average film from Spike Lee who is more miss that hit for me.

This one has some of the worst acting I've seen in a big budget production for a long time.

Monkey Man

Went to see this the other night, not really my bag but if anyone's into John Wick or those sort of films it might be up their street.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on April 09, 2024, 12:37:58 PM"He Got Game" - a fairly average film from Spike Lee who is more miss that hit for me.

This one has some of the worst acting I've seen in a big budget production for a long time.

I actually watched Do The Right Thing for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. Didn't like it at all. Felt like Sesame Street for teenagers.

Is He got game the basketball film that Public Enemy did the soundtrack for? If it is what I am thinking of I saw it years ago and didn't think much of it.

Quote from: mickO))) on April 09, 2024, 01:39:37 PMIs He got game the basketball film that Public Enemy did the soundtrack for? If it is what I am thinking of I saw it years ago and didn't think much of it.

That's the one.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 09, 2024, 01:00:25 PMI actually watched Do The Right Thing for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. Didn't like it at all. Felt like Sesame Street for teenagers.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I saw it some time in the 90s, didn't make much of an impression. I understood its importance within modern American cinema but I re-watched it last year and felt that it was largely caricatures (questionable ones in some cases) and fairly narrow.

Spike Lee certainly has no idea how to end a movie - most of the time. "25th Hour" and "Inside Man" are the only films that I can think of in his body of work that are wholly satisfactory.

He's not great on starting them either. As enjoyable as it was, what was the point of the Rosie Perez dance number at the start of Do The Right Thing?

It was actually quite funny watching first Boyz In The Hood and then Do The Right Thing having quite recently watched American Fiction... for reasons that only make sense if you've seen the latter.

Yet to see that, worth a look? Sounds interesting at least.

There's a great film in there if about 30 minutes were edited out and the mood was fixed, and Jeffrey Wright is great in it, so I'd say worth a look. Grand for a mid-week watch like.

Sound. Wright is like the black Paul Giamatti (hairline and all), he's very watchable in anything.

I watched Kill List the other night. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. If you like gritty English movies then you'll like it. I thought it was class now. Still thinking about it a few days later which is the sign of a good movie in my opinion.