Can't decide how I feel about Fury Road. I've watched it several times and sometimes I'm blown away, sometimes I'm underwhelmed. I've never quite settled on one or the other.

Road Warrior is the best in the series for me. The sheer influence it had on pop culture was massive. One of those films I taped off TV in the 90s and rewatched endlessly and it never got old.

Also, which is the more fun Vernon Wells role: Bennett in Commando or Wez in Road Warrior?

Commando is the correct answer. Not just for Wells but for everything else about it.

Quote from: open face surgery on April 12, 2024, 07:29:41 PMI turned it off very early on. May revisit it.

The first half an hour is jarring alright but it develops into a quality action film. Its gloriously over the top.

Fury Road was great in the cinema but haven't seen it since, don't know if it would have the same impact just watching at home.

Haven't seen Road Warrior in so long I can't remember a lot of it. I'll throw it on this evening grand job saves me thinking about it later sound

"Blackhat" not great - expect more from a Michael Mann film.

Watched The Mist again last night, first time since it came out. Some dodgy CGI (good for the time, I suppose) aside it holds up well. That ending is so bleak, only heightened by the Dead Can Dance track.

There's a black and white version I have yet to see, apparently it's a better watch.

Odd Mad Max question here. I watched it as a kid and can remember fuck all about it but a few years ago I put it on, possibly on Netflix, and it seemed to be overdubbed with American accents. It was the original film without question but the voices were all slightly out of sync... is it possible I was having a mild stroke or was there an altered one made for the States? I switched it off after a few minutes.

It was dubbed into Yank for the American release, but when it's on TV it's usually the original Aussie audio. DVD and BR releases usually have both soundtracks.

I have seen the trilogy many times over the years and never remember anything other than Australian accents in it. Must actually put them on the list to watch again soon. 1 and 2 are classics. 3 was a bit of a let down. Couldn't even finish the 2015 film it was awful.

Quote from: mickO))) on April 16, 2024, 02:43:29 PMI have seen the trilogy many times over the years and never remember anything other than Australian accents in it. Must actually put them on the list to watch again soon. 1 and 2 are classics. 3 was a bit of a let down. Couldn't even finish the 2015 film it was awful.

I've seen "Mad Max" and "The Road Warrior" a fair few times. Both are brilliant - I really like the down & dirty, low budget vibe from the first one. I've never watched "Beyond Thunderdome" even though it's in the box-set with the other two.

I also thought "Fury Road" was rubbish but I finished it. Never gave it a second shot.

#4241 April 16, 2024, 03:30:26 PM Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:42:21 PM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 16, 2024, 01:04:54 PMOdd Mad Max question here. I watched it as a kid and can remember fuck all about it but a few years ago I put it on, possibly on Netflix, and it seemed to be overdubbed with American accents. It was the original film without question but the voices were all slightly out of sync... is it possible I was having a mild stroke or was there an altered one made for the States? I switched it off after a few minutes.

Yeah, apparently the US distributor thought that Americans couldn't deal with/understand the Aussie accent even though they were speaking English. I read an interview with with Quentin Tarantino years ago where he said that most people (himself included) found the American dub so annoying that they wouldn't rent/buy that version from the video shop, Video Archives, that he worked at.

I had my own version of this experience the other day watching "Blackhat". The accents and lip-sync were all over the shop as was the sound-mixing.

My wife asked me if there was something wrong with the TV. I put it down to a lot of the cast being Chinese and having to re-loop some of their parts in English.

Listened to a podcast about the film afterwards - turns out Michael Mann re-cut and re-dubbed major portions of the film in post-production. He decided to change the story (the script wasn't even finished when they started shooting) - so he had the actors come back an record new lines over existing footage.

The film is a mess and this explains why. There's now a director's cut that makes more sense but I'm not inclined to watch it.

So it's the mangled American version on Netflix. I must try and get the proper version and have another look.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 16, 2024, 03:45:35 PMSo it's the mangled American version on Netflix. I must try and get the proper version and have another look.

I wonder if you can change the audio in the language drop down? Aren't you in Australia? Surely be to fuck it should be the Aussie version?!

On a quasi-related note, I watched "Traffic" for the first time recently. It was on Netflix. During the Spanish speaking parts, I thought that Steven Soderbergh had made a brave artistic choice in not having English subtitles.

A while later though, after several very long scenes en EspaƱol, I thought that I had better Google;

"Does Traffic (2000) have subtitles?"

Turns out it does but the Netflix version doesn't have them. Had to download it and watch from the beginning again...  :laugh:

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 16, 2024, 03:45:35 PMSo it's the mangled American version on Netflix. I must try and get the proper version and have another look.

https://hdtodaytv.nl/watch/movie-mad-max-free-online-z4jp/1-1