Watched zone of interest over the weekend. I loved the first hour, or up until the transfer, lost me after that and found the last stretch pretty boring.

Watched Poor things over the weekend. What a brilliantly mental film.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 17, 2024, 11:03:35 PMPowerful stuff The Field! That's got to be Richard Harris' crowning achievement as an actor. I don't really remember seeing it lauded all that much as a piece of cinema, but it's right up there with the very best of any other theatre adaptations I've seen. Powerful altogether.

Watched Reversal of Fortune tonight, the film Jeremy Irons beat Richard Harris with to win the Oscar in 1991. Very entertaining movie, and definitely one of Irons' best performances, though maybe imo not as good as Richard Harris in The Field. Also, the fact that the Alan Dershowitz is the featured lawyer in it (it's based on a true story, which I didn't cop until I'd heard his name mentioned a few times) is pretty funny.

#4158 March 26, 2024, 09:25:39 AM Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:33:58 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Sworntothecans on March 23, 2024, 10:32:18 PMRonin/Cliffhanger/Surviving the Game all great. Ronin for the stunt driving, Cliffhanger for Lithgow hamming it up and Surviving The Game for Busey being Busey!

Backdraft/Pacific Heights well made and watchable and there's some great craftsmanship from a technical standpoint.

The Negotiator is very meh. On paper 98' Jackson & Spacey shouting at each other sounds great but it's very meh and looks like they were throwing multiple re-writes at it too.

Sound. I was on the fence about "The Negotiator" after I copped that it's 140mins long... Too long to waste if it's shit.

Quote from: Carnage on March 22, 2024, 04:35:29 PMSea Of Love, definitely. The Presidio was decent if memory serves. Witness too.

Those last two are '80s films, not sure that's what you're looking for

Haven't seen "The Presido" - it's on my Amazon or Netflix watchlist though. Sean Connery and Mark Harmon - sounds alright.

Quote from: Vlad III on March 22, 2024, 03:04:02 PMHudson Blue cider! That's a blast from the past. I used to live on that stuff along with bottles of Bucky back when I was a young gobshite.

You've probably seen these, but just in case you haven't:

A Time To Kill
Point Break
Heat
Con Air

I've seen all of those but I'm going to revisit "Point Break" - haven't watched it in 25 years+

I used to work with a fella who drank a few Hudson Blue or Devil's Bit straight after doing his weights routine - "to cure the thirst, y'knaa?".

I'd love to see that now - fella in a Murphy's Irish Stout t-shirt, Seinfeld-lite mullet and GAA knicks slugging cans next to a few lads in skin-tight Under Armor with their milk shake bottles.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 26, 2024, 09:25:39 AMI used to work with a fella who drank a 6-pack of Hudson Blue or Devil's Bit straight after doing his weights routine - "to cure the thirst, y'knaa?".

I'd love to see that now - fella in a Murphy's Irish Stout t-shirt, Seinfeld-lite mullet and GAA knicks slugging cans next to a few lads in skin-tight Under Armor with their milk shake bottles.

:laugh: There's a lad I know who's well into his 40's that's still living the dream. He landed in to indoor soccer a few weeks ago drunk as an ass. He was staggering around in a Hi Vis jacket and skintight shorts from the 80s, but then he lit up a fag and was told to leave so he went to the dressing room for a kip!
The younger lads were appalled. The rest of us thought it was hilarious. They're a different breed this generation. Soft shites!

#4160 March 26, 2024, 09:40:57 AM Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:42:36 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Vlad III on March 26, 2024, 09:35:55 AM
Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 26, 2024, 09:25:39 AMI used to work with a fella who drank a 6-pack of Hudson Blue or Devil's Bit straight after doing his weights routine - "to cure the thirst, y'knaa?".

:laugh: There's a lad I know who's well into his 40's that's still living the dream. He landed in to indoor soccer a few weeks ago drunk as an ass. He was staggering around in a Hi Vis jacket and skintight shorts from the 80s, but then he lit up a fag and was told to leave so he went to the dressing room for a kip!
The younger lads were appalled. The rest of us thought it was hilarious. They're a different breed this generation. Soft shites!

Ah, that is perfect.  :laugh:  That's what I'm talking about. Luckily most of the people that I work with are from that era.

A few of the young lads don't know what to do or say half the time.

Don't knock the Devil's Bit, it's the best sustenance you could make using only sand and apple cores.

I used to work in Gleeson's decades back when they bottled it, drank it warm and fresh off the line a few times, it tasted worse.  Saw a lad kicking a big bag of additives into the vat of it another day, just after coming in from the wet yard after a fag and kicking the bits that missed the pour back into the vat with his workboots.  Not two days later I was still in buying a jetpack of it for a session.

For anyone interested I see the omniplex cinemas are running a serious of classic movies from the 19th of April. Each movie for 1 night only starting with Terminator 2.
Be great to catch this on the big screen.

Saw it in Dublin the day it came out. Worth a look on the big screen alright.

They do that every now and then, had Die Hard and Home Alone on over christmas. A good thematic double bill, come to think of it.

https://pitchfork.com/news/spinal-tap-ii-to-feature-metallicas-lars-ulrich-and-red-hot-chili-peppers-chad-smith/

Didn't realise that this was even in the offing. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?! Almost perfect film with an untarnished legacy. Will watch, of course.

Quote from: John Kimble on March 27, 2024, 04:42:02 PMhttps://pitchfork.com/news/spinal-tap-ii-to-feature-metallicas-lars-ulrich-and-red-hot-chili-peppers-chad-smith/

Didn't realise that this was even in the offing. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?! Almost perfect film with an untarnished legacy. Will watch, of course.

It's one of those films I watched every 5yrs or so, and each time forget just how good it is. One of the funniest comedies of all time. The acting performances are flawless.

Looking forward to Chad Smith and Lars Ulrich exploding or spontaneously combusting, or whatever becomes of them  :laugh:

Original cast, crew, and director...I'm making the mistake of getting my hopes up

Quote from: Mooncat on March 22, 2024, 03:41:54 PMI love the 70s too. I find myself rewatching The French Connection a lot lately. Then of course you have to follow it up with The Conversation.

I'll also go on a little Jack binge sometimes too and have Easy Rider/Five Easy Pieces/The Last Detail all in a few days.

Have you seen "Night Moves" from 1975? Another Gene Hackman one. Or "The Scarecrow" with Hackman and Al Pacino?

I really like "Five Easy Pieces" and "The Last Detail" is a favourite of mine (I even bought a jacket to look like Billy Buddusky once - full story in "The Fear" thread) but I can really take or leave "Easy Rider". "King Of Marvin Gardens" is a better Jack supporting role in my opinion.

Spinal Tap have returned in various forms over the years (including the Return of Spinal Tap which was 50% gig 50% sketches) and, so far, none of them have tarnished the legacy. This new seems like it's a bigger deal, another "proper" film, but I'm still being cautiously optimistic.

Watched Jonathan Glazers first film Sexy Beast earlier. Great stuff altogether. Ben Kingsley is immense in it.

Watched The Descent there too. Seen it before but herself hadn't, great underrated horror flick in fairness.

Don't bother with the sequel, it's pretty shite.