Quote from: astfgyl on March 16, 2024, 01:07:31 PM
Quote from: Carnage on March 16, 2024, 02:00:27 AMI saw The Game at the time and thought it was only OK. I've loved AlienĀ³ from the off, despite all of its (many) flaws. The extended cut is a vastly superior film, seriously overrated.

Alien 3 is great and yeah it has a few issues but it's still seriously entertaining. Haven't seen the extended cut but did recently watch the extended cut of Aliens and it's like a different film

The definitive version, one of my favourites. The director's cut of Alien, however, isn't great.

Watched a really good French film called On the Wandering Paths, or in its original French the title was Sur les Chemins Noir which maybe has a subtext for native speakers. Jean Dujardin (The Artist) plays a guy who in his middle age has a stupid drunken fall from a building and nearly kills himself. He decides, upon his recovery, to walk across France, keeping off any known walking tracks and just using maps and his wits.

It looks incredible, the acting is perfect, the story is paced beautifully and is told in a way that never panders to the viewer or hammers any lessons home while getting across all of the information. A simple tale told with philosophical depth.

If I ever saw The Field, I must have been a teenager and missed half of it, either way don't remember much of it. Found it handy enough there to dl though, so it'll be this year's Paddy's Day film. Jim Sheridan plus that cast, expecting it to be daycent alright!

It's a fucking smashing film by any standard and if me own lads weren't two eight year olds then I would definitely sit into it this evening for the day that is in it. Great cast, great direction, great cinematography and above all great story. The wife is trying to get me to watch Into The West to get on the buzz and I will have to do it through gritted teeth because I had Apocalypse Now on the cards and she won't do it.

Surely the lads can't be too young for one of the greatest films ever

Powerful stuff The Field! That's got to be Richard Harris' crowning achievement as an actor. I don't really remember seeing it lauded all that much as a piece of cinema, but it's right up there with the very best of any other theatre adaptations I've seen. Powerful altogether.

#4130 March 17, 2024, 11:37:57 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:39:59 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 17, 2024, 11:03:35 PMPowerful stuff The Field! That's got to be Richard Harris' crowning achievement as an actor. I don't really remember seeing it lauded all that much as a piece of cinema, but it's right up there with the very best of any other theatre adaptations I've seen. Powerful altogether.

Are you only after watching that proper? Jaysus tis beautiful isn't it

Edit: what was good about this was everything I hated about the banshees yoke in that The Field really made a film out of it but the banshees really felt like a play

Banshee Was far more enjoyable than I expected it to be. A bit silly and stagey here and there no doubt, but they got away with it.

Just watched The Hateful Eight movie it's long but didn't feel dragged out or anything the constant turns and mysteries made it exciting the whole way through. was a great movie Tarantino is the best :]

:sniffles:  :sniffles:  :sniffles:
Turntables go eeeeeera era era

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 17, 2024, 11:03:35 PMPowerful stuff The Field! That's got to be Richard Harris' crowning achievement as an actor. I don't really remember seeing it lauded all that much as a piece of cinema, but it's right up there with the very best of any other theatre adaptations I've seen. Powerful altogether.

That and Cromwell, another powerhouse performance.

Still thinking over it this morning. Some of the scenes are so powerful, and in so many different ways. Had me thinking of Kurosawa in a fair few places. For all as I've enjoyed many of his movies, I didn't know Sheridan had something this ambitious in him.

Quote from: Carnage on March 16, 2024, 02:34:08 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on March 16, 2024, 01:07:31 PM
Quote from: Carnage on March 16, 2024, 02:00:27 AMI saw The Game at the time and thought it was only OK. I've loved AlienĀ³ from the off, despite all of its (many) flaws. The extended cut is a vastly superior film, seriously overrated.

Alien 3 is great and yeah it has a few issues but it's still seriously entertaining. Haven't seen the extended cut but did recently watch the extended cut of Aliens and it's like a different film

The definitive version, one of my favourites. The director's cut of Alien, however, isn't great.

Do you mean the one with the extra scenes added back in? I always preferred that version. The drone gun scene is awesome!

Yep, that's the version for me. It's the director's cut of Alien that I'm not fond of. Alternative takes used in spots for no good reason, and a scene where we see what happened to Dallas. Just doesn't flow as well.

Quote from: Carnage on March 18, 2024, 04:28:28 PMYep, that's the version for me. It's the director's cut of Alien that I'm not fond of. Alternative takes used in spots for no good reason, and a scene where we see what happened to Dallas. Just doesn't flow as well.

Sorry, missed it was the first one you meant. I haven't actually seen the director's cut of the first one. I had heard there was an extra scene with Dallas though. Recently rewatched the first one (the regular version), holy crap it is so good. Almost a perfect film. In this green screen era the set design stands out even more as incredible! That whole opening scene with the computer projection reflected in the helmet is just beautiful.

Yeah, it's one of my favourite films. I got the blu ray boxset a few years ago and the new restoration of Alien is gorgeous. I must get it on 4k actually, but the standard BR looks great as it is.

Went to Dune Part II tonight. I enjoyed it but nowhere near as much as the first part. The pacing was all over the place, the attempts at comedy fell flat, the characters were stretched a bit thin and seemed more one dimensional than in Part I. It was good, certainly and looked mighty on the big screen, but I just wasn't feeling it. Quite a lot changed from the book too.

I dunno, it might take a few more watches to click, I've seen Part I 5 or 6 times at least.