Think I'm around 5 max on viewings of the first one now too. And my feeling coming out of first watch of Part 2 is 100% what you've said. Yet I'm really looking forward to seeing it again, whenever I might get around to it.

I really enjoyed Dune part 2. I think Christopher Walken was miscast though. That didn't work for me. It is epic to see on the big screen though and the music is class too

I can't watch many new films without getting annoyed.  :laugh:

Therefore I have started watching or re-watching films from the 1960s to the early 2000s;

"Rounders" - never saw it - very enjoyable.
"The Talented Mr. Ripley" - never saw it - very good, needs an edit in the last 40 minutes though.
"The Usual Suspects" - still holds up nearly 30 years after the fact. "There's NO fuckin' COKE!"
"Broadcast News" - never saw it but I must have seen the trailer on every VHS rented from the video shop between 1987 and 1989. Well worth a watch.
"The Rainmaker" - never saw it - not great - the B story (with Claire Danes) is pointless.
"The Client" - never saw it - worth a watch for sure but this and "The Rainmaker" are two of the weaker Grisham adaptations that I have seen.
"Primal Fear" - never saw it - Norton is tremendous, Gere is wooden. Good thriller though.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 21, 2024, 11:56:17 AMI can't watch many new films without getting annoyed.  :laugh:

Therefore I have started watching or re-watching films from the 1960s to the early 2000s;

"Rounders" - never saw it - very enjoyable.
"The Talented Mr. Ripley" - never saw it - very good, needs an edit in the last 40 minutes though.
"The Usual Suspects" - still holds up nearly 30 years after the fact. "There's NO fuckin' COKE!"
"Broadcast News" - never saw it but I must have seen the trailer on every VHS rented from the video shop between 1987 and 1989. Well worth a watch.
"The Rainmaker" - never saw it - not great - the B story (with Claire Danes) is pointless.
"The Client" - never saw it - worth a watch for sure but this and "The Rainmaker" are two of the weaker Grisham adaptations that I have seen.
"Primal Fear" - never saw it - Norton is tremendous, Gere is wooden. Good thriller though.

Have you ever seen Network? If you enjoyed Broadcast News I think you'd like it; it's the ultimate newsroom movie and has some iconic performances. Howard Beale is an all-timer of a character. 

Quote from: Mooncat on March 21, 2024, 04:53:44 PMHave you ever seen Network? If you enjoyed Broadcast News I think you'd like it; it's the ultimate newsroom movie and has some iconic performances. Howard Beale is an all-timer of a character. 

I have indeed seen "Network", great movie - '70s movies are my favourite era. 1970s and 1990s.

Speaking of revisits, we watched Memento last night. Probably fourth time I've seen it over the years, last time was ages ago though. It really is fucking quality.

#4146 March 22, 2024, 09:16:37 AM Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:19:08 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 22, 2024, 08:52:43 AMSpeaking of revisits, we watched Memento last night. Probably fourth time I've seen it over the years, last time was ages ago though. It really is fucking quality.

I haven't gone back and re-watched since it came out. Must give it another go.

If anyone has recommendations for '80s/'90s thrillers/courtroom dramas I'd be grateful. It seems that I spent too much time watching indie movies in a Cork flea-pit cinema during the 1990s and missed a ton of good shit :laugh:

Recently seen for the first time;

"Crimson Tide"
"Hunt For Red October"
"Patriot Games"
"Clear And Present Danger"
"Man On Fire"
"The Siege"
"In The Line Of Fire"
"Black Rain"
"Cop Land" - saw it in the cinema when it was released  but I was absolutely demented on free Hudson Blue cider that was being promoted in Preacher's pub, barely remember any of the film except my buddy shouting "Oh! Stallone is deaf! Right, right, right..."

I have "No Way Out", "A Bronx Tale" and "Presumed Innocent" for the weekend.

A few have been recommended - I have never seen any of these;

"Ronin"
"The Negotiator"
"Cliffhanger"
"Surviving The Game"
"Pacific Heights"
"Backdraft"

Ronin is definitely worth a watch. From a little later, but also related to news rooms, I remember 15 Minutes being a good watch too. Will have a think of others.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 22, 2024, 09:16:37 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 22, 2024, 08:52:43 AMSpeaking of revisits, we watched Memento last night. Probably fourth time I've seen it over the years, last time was ages ago though. It really is fucking quality.

If anyone has recommendations for '80s/'90s thrillers/courtroom dramas I'd be grateful. It seems that I spent too much time watching indie movies in a Cork flea-pit cinema during the 1990s and missed a ton of good shit :laugh:

"Crimson Tide"
"Hunt For Red October"
"Patriot Games"
"Man On Fire"
"The Siege"
"In The Line Of Fire"
"Black Rain"
"Cop Land" - saw it in the cinema when it was released  but I was absolutely demented on free Hudson Blue cider that was being promoted in Preacher's pub, barely remember any of the film except my buddy shouting "Oh! Stallone is deaf! Right, right, right..."

"Ronin"
"The Negotiator"
"Cliffhanger"
"Surviving The Game"
"Pacific Heights"
"Backdraft"

Hudson Blue cider! That's a blast from the past. I used to live on that stuff along with bottles of Bucky back when I was a young gobshite.

You've probably seen these, but just in case you haven't:

A Time To Kill
Point Break
Heat
Con Air

Quote from: StoutAndAle on March 22, 2024, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: Mooncat on March 21, 2024, 04:53:44 PMHave you ever seen Network? If you enjoyed Broadcast News I think you'd like it; it's the ultimate newsroom movie and has some iconic performances. Howard Beale is an all-timer of a character. 

I have indeed seen "Network", great movie - '70s movies are my favourite era. 1970s and 1990s.

I love the 70s too. I find myself rewatching The French Connection a lot lately. Then of course you have to follow it up with The Conversation.

I'll also go on a little Jack binge sometimes too and have Easy Rider/Five Easy Pieces/The Last Detail all in a few days.

For 80s thrillers I'd say Blood Simple and Manhunter. Cruising is also a good shout for a trashy kind of thriller. It's Friedkin so you know it's good.

Sea Of Love, definitely. The Presidio was decent if memory serves. Witness too.

Those last two are '80s films, not sure that's what you're looking for

Had another watch of American Psycho last night. I think it's getting funnier with time.

Working with someone born in 2000 and every time I mention a film, they haven't seen it so I've a fair list to rewatch myself as a result. Was showing the kids some photos in the local hotel as well of the uncle on the set of Saving Private Ryan so that's getting another go maybe tonight now that I've found it on All 4. Hasn't even been that long since the last but fuck it it's great

Watched the new roadhouse movie on prime. Mc gregor is so bad at acting he's funny. As for Jake just keep that stupid grin on your face,  it's worked your whole career. A few laughs along the way, but in general I'd avoid. 2/5 imo.

"Crimson Tide"
"Hunt For Red October"
"Patriot Games"
"Man On Fire"
"The Siege"
"In The Line Of Fire"
"Black Rain"

"Ronin"
"The Negotiator"
"Cliffhanger"
"Surviving The Game"
"Pacific Heights"
"Backdraft"

Ronin/Cliffhanger/Surviving the Game all great. Ronin for the stunt driving, Cliffhanger for Lithgow hamming it up and Surviving The Game for Busey being Busey!

Backdraft/Pacific Heights well made and watchable and there's some great craftsmanship from a technical standpoint.

The Negotiator is very meh. On paper 98' Jackson & Spacey shouting at each other sounds great but it's very meh and looks like they were throwing multiple re-writes at it too.