Quote from: Mower Liberation Front on January 29, 2024, 09:24:57 PMJust found out the Rogue Trooper film is finally being made, due out next year. Duncan Jones has been talking about making it for years, and now it's finally happening.

I was excited too 'til I read it's going to be animated.

Oh I'd be happy with an animated one.

Romper Stomper. Great film. Cool punk soundtrack (although horrible racist lyrics). Will have to follow it up with American History X and Green Room now some nights this week.

I noticed Get Carter is leaving Prime (Canada) in the next couple of days, so I'll be getting that on tonight.

Quote from: Carnage on January 29, 2024, 10:57:52 PM
Quote from: Mower Liberation Front on January 29, 2024, 09:24:57 PMJust found out the Rogue Trooper film is finally being made, due out next year. Duncan Jones has been talking about making it for years, and now it's finally happening.

I was excited too 'til I read it's going to be animated.

If it was live action, the cost would probably rival Avatar. Though I see Sean Bean's going to be in it. He'll probably voice one of the bio-chips.

There was talk of the Rogue Trooper movie six years ago but no mention of it being animated. Perhaps being animated would be a cost effective way of getting the 'look' of the comics ? Don't know.

Could be alright. My issue with animation is that everything is exaggerated and overdone, voices and all but I suppose when it's a comic that's being adapted...

Late to the party but I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife there. First/set up half was torturous, too slow and drawn out but once things got moving it picked up nicely.

#3997 February 02, 2024, 10:33:06 AM Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:15:45 PM by Eoin McLove
Oppenheimer on d'telly (DVD shtyle). I'm hooked.

Edit. That was superb. I usually get fed up halfway through long films these days but this held my attention till the end. Perfect pacing; brilliant acting; it looked fantastic. Just superb.

Superb is definitely the word for Oppenheimer, agreed.

I watched Glory last night. US Civil War movie from 1989, about the first Union army battalion of African-American soldiers. Matthew Broderick stars as the green 20 something yr old colonel put in charge of them, and the film is based mainly on his letters home recounting his experiences. The better film as a result, laying bare not just the North-South tension, but the within-North tensions too. Broderick, Cary Elwes, Morgan Freeman, and Denzel Washington star. Couple of scenes stirred a vague memory so I think I may have seen some of it on da telly box when I was a kid. Anyway, recommended if you dig your war epics.

Totally different last night, Blood Machines. I've had the soundtrack to this for years, since it's a Carpenter Brut album, but had never watched it. More like a video game than a movie (plus, only 49 minutes long) it's fun, silly, and pretty hot tbh.

Enjoyed The Holdovers. Very... nice, but not in a bad way  :laugh:  Beautifully shot and performed in any case, some great dialogue.

Yeah it was..pleasant I guess?Enjoyed it but no great need to see it again.

The Zone of Interest was solid. The most unnerving use of sound in a film since Eraserhead.

One tidbit/almost Easter egg with regards to The Holdovers which, without giving away any spoilers, can be useful to know going in is that spitting had very different connotations in classical Greek and Roman civilization than it does in modern society. Just that.

Gorgeous soviet horror film from the 60s.

Good yeah? I was recommended it by a Greek mate a while ago but still haven't got round to it.