2049 was the best possible way to do a sequel at the time imo.

The original final cut is a masterpiece and PKD is a legend.

#3962 January 22, 2024, 10:53:40 PM Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:56:12 PM by leatherface
Was anyone aware that there is another Ghostbusters movie in cinemas this year? with mostly OG cast?  this passed me by completely.

Seriously though, how many years did Bill Murray straight out refuse to be in any of these movies ever again? and now suddenly two in a row.

On a scale of Clint Eastwood to Bruce Willis, where does Bill Murray fit in?

He's a Whoopie Goldberg on the Official Clint Eastwood Scale.

Had the new Willy Wanka film on last night, almost sickingly sweet at times and some of the musical numbers are a bit cringe but enjoyable enough, I did like that what seems like most of the background cast to Peep Show is in it.

It's interesting about Bill Murray, almost his entire fame to younger folks was based on his cameo in Zombieland. It brought him right to forefront of popular culture again, but he's arguably done nothing worthwhile in about 20yrs. He definitely doesn't have it anymore. His attempt at Venkman in Ghostbusters Afterlife was the movie equivalent of Death Magnetic.

Had my first rewatch of Lords of Chaos last night. Have to admit I actually quite enjoyed it. If you pretend you know nothing about black metal and take it as a work of fiction loosely based on truth, then it sits in along with something more like River's Edge. That kind of disaffected teen drama genre. Bit like Kids as well. Dark as fuck at times. In my old age I found myself feeling really sorry for Dead, he must have been majorly depressed. Yer man Culkin's acting continually lifted me out of it though, weak as fuck.

#3967 January 24, 2024, 05:00:19 PM Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:03:49 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
I don't think that's true about his fame to "younger folks." Maybe to a specific, albeit large, demographic of more-into-games-than-movies younger folks, but not people actually into movies. These were all big cinema events with big junkets which, between them, cover pretty much every age group (not denying some of them also happened to be crap):

2001 - Osmosis Jones plus Royal Tenenbaums
2003 - Lost In Translation
2004 - Garfield plus Life Aquatic
2005 - Broken Flowers
2007 - Darjeeling Limited

If anything, the two years after Zombieland (2009) were drier for him than the preceding years, up until Moonrise Kingdom in 2012, but he didn't get that off the back of Zombieland since it was yet another Wes Anderson.

Probably said it before but I fuckin hate Wes Anderson films.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 24, 2024, 05:00:19 PMI don't think that's true about his fame to "younger folks." Maybe to a specific, albeit large, demographic of more-into-games-than-movies younger folks, but not people actually into movies. These were all big cinema events with big junkets which, between them, cover pretty much every age group (not denying some of them also happened to be crap):

2001 - Osmosis Jones plus Royal Tenenbaums
2003 - Lost In Translation
2004 - Garfield plus Life Aquatic
2005 - Broken Flowers
2007 - Darjeeling Limited

If anything, the two years after Zombieland (2009) were drier for him than the preceding years, up until Moonrise Kingdom in 2012, but he didn't get that off the back of Zombieland since it was yet another Wes Anderson.

When I said younger folks I was more talking about people who were teenagers around the time of Zombieland that maybe wouldn't have been familiar with his classic era. Fair enough with regards to relevance, it's not like he had disappeared. I had thought of his Wes Anderson films but I'd argue that that stream of films had him almost more as a cult actor who wouldn't be super well-known to a large demographic of younger audiences, compared to Zombieland which made him mainstream pop culture famous again. I'm mainly going from memory but I just remember the shift from kind of cult actor to being everywhere again. It's less about movie fans and more about mainstream media.

Seems to me he does almost anything anyone proposes to him. Some of those things are mainstream, some aren't, some are decent-to-good, some aren't. Whatever the project, he plays Bill Murray in it. And he still has it in him to play himself. But sometimes the director has composed things so that Bill Murray fits well into a film, and sometimes they haven't  :laugh:

Thought Murray was OK playing the old man getting scalded over a young bird part in Lost in Translation but haven't seen him be any way decent in anything since and the Afterlife/Death Magnetic comparison is very fitting. Ah well..

I love the Royal Tenenbaums but cant sit through any of his others. Jesus the life aquatic was awful.

Quote from: open face surgery on January 24, 2024, 05:19:01 PMProbably said it before but I fuckin hate Wes Anderson films.

I 100% concur.

As for Murray!
Usually give Scrooged and/or Groundhog Day a watch with the kids at Xmas. Always good fun.

Quote from: Ollkiller on January 24, 2024, 09:39:29 PMI love the Royal Tenenbaums but cant sit through any of his others. Jesus the life aquatic was awful.

I'm a Wes Anderson fan/apologist but I can understand people not liking his work - my wife, for instance, won't watch anything by him. "That's one for you on your own" she'll say to me after watching a trailer for his films.

That being said - "Fantastic Mr. Fox" has universal appeal in my opinion.

"Bottle Rocket", his debut, is also less Wes Anderson-y than everything else in his career. If anyone is a fan of 90s indie comedies then it's a surefire win.

Speaking of Anderson, the 1990s and indie comedy: Watched Noah Baumbach's debut "Kicking And Screaming" the other night (Netflix) - worth a gander, somehow missed it over all the years. Not as good Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" which has a similar theme (and also stars Christopher Eigeman).

Good soundtrack too.