Quote from: ldj on January 24, 2024, 01:04:16 PMHad the new Willy Wanka film on last night, almost sickingly sweet at times and some of the musical numbers are a bit cringe but enjoyable enough, I did like that what seems like most of the background cast to Peep Show is in it.
I watched it the other day, thought it was shite, basically Paddington 2 without the charm or wit.

#3976 January 25, 2024, 04:04:50 PM Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 04:44:07 PM by Carnage
Anderson's insufferably pretentious and self important. I've watched and enjoyed a few of his but have no need to see any more. Fantastic Mr. Fox was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Watched Fantastic Mr.Fox for the first time the other week with the kids. Looked alright but thought it was fairly shit. The voice cast gave their characters absolutely zero personality, the whole thing was so monotone and dull. Kids got up after about an hour and left to do something else

My kids had the exact same reaction to Fantastic Mr Fox. I looked around after less than an hour and there they were... gone

Quote from: StoutAndAle on January 25, 2024, 09:30:01 AM
Quote from: Ollkiller on January 24, 2024, 09:39:29 PMI love the Royal Tenenbaums but cant sit through any of his others. Jesus the life aquatic was awful.

I'm a Wes Anderson fan/apologist but I can understand people not liking his work - my wife, for instance, won't watch anything by him. "That's one for you on your own" she'll say to me after watching a trailer for his films.

That being said - "Fantastic Mr. Fox" has universal appeal in my opinion.

"Bottle Rocket", his debut, is also less Wes Anderson-y than everything else in his career. If anyone is a fan of 90s indie comedies then it's a surefire win.

Speaking of Anderson, the 1990s and indie comedy: Watched Noah Baumbach's debut "Kicking And Screaming" the other night (Netflix) - worth a gander, somehow missed it over all the years. Not as good Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" which has a similar theme (and also stars Christopher Eigeman).

Good soundtrack too.

Speaking of Noah Baumbach, I quite enjoyed Francis Ha. But then again I am a sucker for those 'trying to get by in the big city' style films (not so much the romcom ones).

Watched Titanic on the projector with the young lads lately and now they've become obsessed with the whole thing. They're telling me how to tell one ship that looks the exact same from another that looks the exact same. Can never predict what shit they'll have me watching next but it's great to relive the old films with the young lads all same. I'd say a good few of ye lads are on a similar buzz as well what with this being the old dad forum and whatnot

Life Aquatic is great, you spas.

My nephew went through the Titanic obsession for a while, I think he's still a bit young for the film.

I read a great book* years ago, about how the Titanic and one of the other ones were switched as one was badly damaged and the whole thing was an insurance job. Pure conspiracy theory stuff but the case it presented was very convincing.

*I think it was this one.

3000 Years of Longing is one to avoid. Half a good film ruined by the other half being utterly tedious and predictable.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 29, 2024, 09:12:59 AM3000 Years of Longing is one to avoid. Half a good film ruined by the other half being utterly tedious and predictable.

Infuriatingly shit. And secretly a rom com.

Saw Poor Things at the weekend and loved it, hugely entertaining, utterly odd. Absolutely not for everyone. Hoping to see The Zone of Interest this week.

#3985 January 29, 2024, 01:30:11 PM Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:36:57 PM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 29, 2024, 01:02:55 PMHoping to see The Zone of Interest this week.

That's one that I'm looking forward to seeing (perhaps "looking forward" is not the correct term for this sort of film).

Watched:

"Freelance" - utter shit, don't bother.
"Man On A Ledge" - grand far a (mildly) hungover watch - not terrible.
"Den Of Thieves" - a bit too long but pure hokum and fun. Never destined for much glory but a very enjoyable heist flick.
"The Holdovers" - excellent, really excellent.

Good to hear re The Holdovers. That I guess is one I can be "looking forward" to  :laugh:

Pretty sure aul Gerry Burtler is churning out another Den Of Thieves this year.
And to keep it metal related... it's gonna be called 'Den Of Thieves: Pantera'.   :abbath:

Just found out the Rogue Trooper film is finally being made, due out next year. Duncan Jones has been talking about making it for years, and now it's finally happening.

My ladies been stuck on the 'saucy 90s thrillers' theme for the last week or two. I'm not complaining TBF.

Wild things
Basic instinct
Single white female
Eyes white shut

Everyone of them completely over the top but decent enough watches, and not just for the gratuitous tiddies