I've been acquainting myself with Battlechants of late. It has been in my collection 15+ years but it never really clicked. I think the production is a bit of a stumbling block to be brutally honest. At times everything merges and it gains in strength, at other times it sounds a bit disjointed, particularly the drum sound which is a bit clickety-clackety, but we can forgive such minor misdemeanours if the music is good, and I think for the most part it is. There are some truly great parts on it that make me sit up every time, in particular the cleanly orated vocal parts (the third song has a really superb section) that makes it stand out.

I had a listen to the remnants of the ill-fated second demo which sounded like it could have been something to get really excited about. Perhaps those songs will get re-recorded at some point?

The band is listed as active on MA, and there was a single released in 2017 that sounded a bit like an album intro. Is there an album written or in the works?

Fairly sure I've never seen them live. Did they play any gigs in the early 00s?

Im good friends with the original members,im almost certain their first gig was in Dublin!,they definitely played Belfast one Xmas too.A handful of gigs in Cork,all around 2000-2002.

A lot of lads in Cork used to call them 'Bellynus'. Never got that, Russell and Ronan were quite slim :)

I loved Battlechants when I first heard it, especially the opening track. The production is below par though, there is no escaping it. Haven't heard a note since though.

It never fully clicked with me, though there was enough there to pique my interest for a second release.

Not sure if they played live but one of the lads was in Witchhammer , who definitely played live. I seen them in Doran's, made a bit of a racket as I recall. Think I picked up the Belinus cd at that gig

I saw Witchhammer that night too. Playing with Sol Axis on the Secrets of the Moon gig that didn't quite happen, if i remember correctly. I thought WH were cool live. The demo was decent but, again, was scuppered by production. SA were savage. It's a pity they didn't survive for long but Myrkr and Slidhr emerged out of them.

There was a demo that was recorded before Battlechants.
It's best unheard.
To say it was sloppy is an understatement.
A couple of the tracks were re-recorded for the follow up.
First gig was in Dublin. I can't recall the venue. I do remember that Steve Maher was behind the desk.

The last I heard Ronan was in For Ruin. Not sure where he is now.

Im sure the gig in Dublin was with Pagan Reign!

#7 December 03, 2022, 11:02:23 AM Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:06:59 AM by Paul keohane
Blizzard Beast (Gordon)on here was the original drummer,im sure he'll be along to put the pieces together.

Gordon played in another band with Russell either during or after Belinus.
I can't remember the name of that band but it was balls to wall black metal.

I remember seeing them play in Fredz.
They had the beginnings of something savage.

Russell hasn't made music since then?

Bought the CD from Russell at the MDB gig in Temple Bar, surely 20 years ago now. I think they shifted a fair number of copies that night.

Russell and Gordon were in Demogorgon (Acolytes Of Demogorgon) at the same time they were in Belinus. That bands demo was recorded at the same time Battlechants was being recorded.

Quote from: jobrok1 on December 03, 2022, 12:13:43 PMBought the CD from Russell at the MDB gig in Temple Bar, surely 20 years ago now. I think they shifted a fair number of copies that night.

Russell and Gordon were in Demogorgon (Acolytes Of Demogorgon) at the same time they were in Belinus. That bands demo was recorded at the same time Battlechants was being recorded.

That's the one. Was that demo ever put out?

I listened to Primal Dawn's euthanasia programme on the archive the other day, forgot how menacing that demo was. Bellys next. I'm going to Christmas present myself that catalogue, class resource.

Magtuired is up there with my favourite Irish BM tracks. Hints of Nachthymnen off it, with the acoustic interlude and cracking riffs.