Quote from: BoobC on December 03, 2022, 01:33:30 PMMagtuired is up there with my favourite Irish BM tracks. Hints of Nachthymnen off it, with the acoustic interlude and cracking riffs.
That was a track Russell did with Griff from Demogorgon in an earlier band called Avatar. It was never recorded by them, though.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on December 03, 2022, 01:19:54 PMI listened to Primal Dawn's euthanasia programme on the archive the other day, forgot how menacing that demo was.
I actually have their unreleased album yet to add to site too. John McGhee gave me a copy a good while back.
I intended to do a proper CD release for it, but struggling to justify the cost of it. And it's getting harder to justify it as each day passes.

I should really just add it for stream/download and get it out there.
It's a cracker of an album.

The first gig Belinus played was indeed in Dublin and one we'd prefer to forget,couldnt hear each other that night and the smoke machine didnt help either.

First recording was done in a studio with an engineer that didnt have a clue about metal along with a bunch of inexperienced young lads didnt help either but it was a good yet costly learning curve for us which helped the next time we went to a studio to record battle chants.There are bits in Battle Chants production wise we werent happy with but overall we were happy with it, it was a demo and it did well when it was released.

Ronan and I did chat about doing some recordings of some old and new Belinus songs pre / post battle chants as Ronan has a good lash of songs and also has his own gear to record, we didnt get round to doing anything but I think he will do something.

Demogorgon was recorded in the same studio as battle chants same period,we also did a few gigs.I really enjoyed the gig we did in Nancys as it sounded great on stage,I think we did a Dark Throne cover that night.I was told Mick Carey from the Swarm recorded it but we never saw how it turned out.

Im not sure if Russel has recorded any other music since Demogorgon,Il ask him the next time I see him as I think he will be in Cork early next year,Griffy did something with a band Iweru? I think.

Would be great to hear that stuff rerecorded at some point. The third song off Battlechants would be savage with a quality recording job behind it too. You could probably wrangle an album out of all of it but I know how difficult it is to get anything done when everyone is scattered, working and/or parenting. Here's hoping it materialises in some form in the future.

#20 December 04, 2022, 06:36:28 AM Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 06:38:06 AM by Caomhaoin
Listening to this again, you can understand why lads have fond memories. Lofty ambitions and they don't all fall short. There is an atmospheric rumble throughout, and there are flashes of real elegance. Bits of Waylander and Maƫl Mordhas 'caoineadh..' demo in there, but with eviler intentions.

Production values are 2002 Irish demo standard (standards which were crushed the following year by Transgression'), some drum sections are rushed or something but in fairness it's a cool and unique demo. Last track would give a lad goosebumps.

I think Hexxed suffered from tinny drum production, actually. It was the one chink in their armour. There's a weird washy sound to the cymbals as well. But I mean, you can't argue with the songs otherwise, especially on Transgression. But anyway...

BELINUS!

Quote from: jobrok1 on December 03, 2022, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: BoobC on December 03, 2022, 01:33:30 PMMagtuired is up there with my favourite Irish BM tracks. Hints of Nachthymnen off it, with the acoustic interlude and cracking riffs.
That was a track Russell did with Griff from Demogorgon in an earlier band called Avatar. It was never recorded by them, though.

It's a cracker to be sure.

That first unreleased recording had some good songs.
The remark about the inexperienced people involved is a fair point.
It had its moments though.

Quote from: Paul keohane on December 03, 2022, 10:32:35 AMIm good friends with the original members,im almost certain their first gig was in Dublin!,they definitely played Belfast one Xmas too.A handful of gigs in Cork,all around 2000-2002.

I remember that xmas gig in Belfast - awful nights entertainment that was.

Quote from: Despondent_Soul2 on December 04, 2022, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on December 03, 2022, 10:32:35 AMIm good friends with the original members,im almost certain their first gig was in Dublin!,they definitely played Belfast one Xmas too.A handful of gigs in Cork,all around 2000-2002.

It was those Yuletide metal fests,i actually went up the following year,Primordial played.

Quote from: jobrok1 on December 03, 2022, 02:34:50 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on December 03, 2022, 01:19:54 PMI listened to Primal Dawn's euthanasia programme on the archive the other day, forgot how menacing that demo was.
I actually have their unreleased album yet to add to site too. John McGhee gave me a copy a good while back.
I intended to do a proper CD release for it, but struggling to justify the cost of it. And it's getting harder to justify it as each day passes.

I should really just add it for stream/download and get it out there.
It's a cracker of an album.

That the album recorded in Czech or similar? It is good stuff! Actually have dvd with footage of them at and wondering around area of studio lol!

Quote from: Paul keohane on December 04, 2022, 02:11:53 PM

It was those Yuletide metal fests,i actually went up the following year,Primordial played.

Aye, yuletide fest (couldnt remember name they used) - terrible shitshows

Quote from: Despondent_Soul2 on December 04, 2022, 02:24:08 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on December 04, 2022, 02:11:53 PM

Aye, yuletide fest (couldnt remember name they used) - terrible shitshows
Were they that bad!?,long time ago can't remember much now!

Im sure plenty will say differently but my memories are of low turnouts, shit sound and lots of very average bands who seemed more interested in 'outdrunking' each other before they played.