Quote from: Anvil on June 08, 2024, 01:05:11 PM
Quote from: Jward on June 07, 2024, 10:51:31 AMIs the latest Renault ad on the telly using Nothing Else Matters ?!!

Jaysus

Still in shock

Phantom of the Opera was used back in the 80s to advertise lucazade. Nothing shocking here. 

https://youtu.be/D4YTB5FZeHQ?si=minQV5rq72VRK-02
Daley Thompson was the coolest fucker in the world back then. We loved that ad, as kids. It was a very pleasant surprise rediscovering that music as I was getting into Metal a few years later.

Oddest one was RTE using the middle of Angel of Death for their continuity music in the early 00's, the breakdown bit just before the "pumped with fluid..." bit.

Quote from: Mooncat on June 08, 2024, 05:54:23 PMSeems like it was Munich. The teen in me is loving how badass this is  :laugh:

There are other vids on YouTube of other strikes throughout the song too. Lots during the guitar harmony part and heavy riff right after.

It is Metal as fuck to be fair

Somebody with the editing know-how needs to put Eddie Munson on top of that yoke when the strike hits.  :laugh:

#453 June 17, 2024, 12:20:39 AM Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 12:47:44 AM by BobbyAxelrod
Quote from: Necro Red on June 09, 2024, 04:17:27 PM
Quote from: Mooncat on June 08, 2024, 05:54:23 PMSeems like it was Munich. The teen in me is loving how badass this is  :laugh:

There are other vids on YouTube of other strikes throughout the song too. Lots during the guitar harmony part and heavy riff right after.

It is Metal as fuck to be fair

I was there and got soooooaked.

Savage couple of gigs.

Some videos I took:

I actually listened to 72 seasons the other night. I have to say it is growing on me, initially I had zero interest to be honest. I read Hetfield's book of guitars and I thought I'd give it another go. The end of the album does get a bit epic with the guitars. Big Lizzy in there for sure. Is the album growing on anyone else? I may even get myself a copy which I didn't think I would

Thought it was pretty good all along, it surprised me. Thought Lux was a dreadful single and it turns out to be the worst song on the album. As you say some of the strongest tracks are toward the end.

Picked it up a while ago, was getting some other albums and it was only €8 so figured I may as well

I'm liking it more than when it initially came out alright, but other than a few songs I don't think there's a lot I'd really come back to.

Kirks half assed solos really stick out and ruin some otherwise decent stuff, and like modern Maiden the lack of self editing drags things out too much

Quote from: Giggles on July 04, 2024, 06:39:13 PM

Fucking hell Kirk!

I heard he shot the wah pedal afterwards "YOU BETRAYED ME YOU FUCKER!"

Quote from: Necro Red on July 05, 2024, 10:11:32 AMI actually listened to 72 seasons the other night. I have to say it is growing on me, initially I had zero interest to be honest. I read Hetfield's book of guitars and I thought I'd give it another go. The end of the album does get a bit epic with the guitars. Big Lizzy in there for sure. Is the album growing on anyone else? I may even get myself a copy which I didn't think I would
I was given the CD recently, thought I'd give it a genuine go. It's a fucking slog, man. There are no dynamics, both in each song and across the whole fucking thing. It's always on 11, you know what I mean? The songs don't breathe, there's no real variation in tempo, in key, in mood and Papa Het's relentless poor-me schtick is fucking pathetic, it really is. Add in the most unmemorable group of solos possibly ever recorded with the most-limited drummer in Metal (that fucking hi-hat all the way through Screaming Suicide, I mean, it doesn't even stop during the breakdowsn for fuck sake) and it's not a recipe for success. The snare sounds like a triggered sample. I don't think it is, but it sounds like it is. It's odd. Every fill has that awful machine-gun vibe to it. It's fucking horrible. Hetfield can still write a riff but it all ends up as an aimless soup. Maybe one song at a time it might be better but, as an entity, I just down't have enough goodwill left to go through it again. I can only see myself coming back to it once I've forgotten how mediocre it is, just to see if it's really as mediocre as I think I remember it is.

#460 August 24, 2024, 07:15:36 PM Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 10:43:00 PM by Mooncat
Saw Metallica last night in Edmonton. Have to admit it was awesome, their stage show is really cool this tour.

Mammoth WVH: Have avoided this band so far as I have something of a pet hate for nepotism, but I was surprised that they were actually pretty good. His guitar playing is decent, like a watered down version of his dad, but I was more surprised by his voice. Kind of a Myles Kennedy-lite. The songs were very much in the style of Myles Kennedy's various projects too, with the obvious added Van Halen influence. Little bit on the generic side if I was being picky, but overall very much enjoyed them.

Pantera: the real reason I went to the show. Mostly it was great. Benante is a beast and handles everything well, and combined with the tightness and feel of Rex's bass playing they were an awesome heavy rhythm section. Phil was on good form too, and despite his voice sounding wrecked when he talks, he was still nailing the vocal performance, albeit slightly adjusted for what he can do now. Lots of cool video footage and tributes as well. Only complaint would be Zakk Wylde. He mostly did a reasonable job, but he's just not tight enough to be in Pantera. He's a classic overplayer, always throwing in licks, pinch harmonics, playing variations of the riff rather than just sitting on the groove and letting it hit. He's tight enough to get by, but just never in the pocket. A concern when you're playing for Pantera, the ultimate pocket band. The down-tuned guitar also was a bit muddy in the huge outdoor space. Overall though a great set (albeit nothing from Trendkill!!) and a very receptive crowd. Jealous of everyone back home getting a full headline Dublin show.

Metallica: I had actually planned to leave their set early because I'd seen them a bunch when I was still back home and the train situation at the stadium they were playing at is wild. Ended up staying right until the last song though because it was so good. The sound was great; really crisp and heavy, and they were all in great form (as much as Hammett can be these days...). First two songs were Creeping death and Harvester of Sorrow. Doesn't get much better than that! Plus Orion got a welcome run out. The middle hour of the 2hr set was dominated by songs from the last 3 albums. All songs I couldn't care less about on CD, but actually were really enjoyable (and crucially, new to me) live. James still doing the slightly embarrassing family/therapy/ott gratitude stuff, but it didn't grate as much as I thought it would.
One cool thing, because the stage is in the middle of the crowd, all the bands had a long walkway from the side of the stadium so you could watch them all walk up to the stage while the crowd cheered. Pantera got a big response walking up, and the Metallica guys did too, but when James came out last it was like a demigod had entered the arena, such was the response. Really cool moment.

All in all a really great night out. If they extend the tour anywhere near over there I'd recommend it! My first 'spectacle' show in a long, long time and I forgot how cool it was to see something like that. I mainly stick to local shows these days, but I'll definitely be watching out for some other stadium-sized ones now.

Good review thanks, a bit like AcDc if they were go come I definitely would go see them again without expecting much.

Quote from: Don Gately on August 25, 2024, 10:44:35 AMGood review thanks, a bit like AcDc if they were go come I definitely would go see them again without expecting much.

Think I would probably go again too, but they're veering dangerously close to Lynyrd Skynyrd territory these days were it's almost a new band...

You'd wonder will they come back here any time soon. They're bigger than they've ever been and the latest stage show looks massive. Maybe Slane again?

I'd bet the 72 Seasons tour will be extended to secondary markets which I'd imagine Ireland would fall into. So you're probably looking at 2 dates at the aviva or something. Will the ticket thing be a fiasco though? I'd love to see them one more time myself but not willing to pay nonsense money or go into ridiculous queues