Couple more that spring to mind

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence/Elements
Type o Negative - October Rust/Bloody Kisses
Mastodon - Leviathan/Crack the Skye
Opeth - Still Life/Blackwater Park
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour/Dead Heart
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine/terria
Symphony X - Odyssey/Twilight in Olympus
Yeah that's another really difficult one and impossible to pick.

Quote from: Juggz on January 05, 2019, 09:19:05 PM
Quote from: Trev on January 05, 2019, 09:03:51 PM
Couple more that spring to mind

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence/Elements
Ah holy fucking Mary and Joseph... are you serious?  :o
The same could be said about your Deicide choice to which everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but that  Deicide debut for me is one of the cornerstones of death metal and stench isnt even close to it imo.

Few more that come to mind..
Dying Fetus -Killing on Adrenaline /Destroy the Opposition
Darkthrone -UAFM/Transylvanian Hunger
Enslaved -Vikingligr Veldi /Eld
Most Immolation albums..

Mercyful Fate - Melissa/Don't Break the Oath. This is the most obvious one to me, don't get how it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Venom - Welcome to Hell/Black Metal. More inclined to pick Black metal but I'm not sure.

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory/Branded and Exiled/Under Jolly Roger/Port Royal/Death or Glory/Blazon Stone/Pile of Skulls/Black Hand Inn. Pick a favourite, I dare you.

Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance/Secret Suderia. More inclined to pick AtWD, but if I listen to SS that'll probably change

Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire/King of the Dead. Uhhhhhhhhh

Quote from: TheFlyingGiraffe on January 06, 2019, 02:48:22 PM

Venom - Welcome to Hell/Black Metal. More inclined to pick Black metal but I'm not sure.

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory/Branded and Exiled/Under Jolly Roger/Port Royal/Death or Glory/Blazon Stone/Pile of Skulls/Black Hand Inn. Pick a favourite

Yeah venom I can't decide on too.

But Running wild , it's gates of purgatory hands down is easily my favourite followed by death or glory.

Quote from: ochoill on January 05, 2019, 09:25:40 PM
Used to be NIN The Fragile / The Downward Spiral too because of how different they are but nowadays TDS is just ahead of fragile.  Both unreal but there's few albums as well put together and leatheringly vicious as TDS.

I'll see your TDS and I'll raise you a Gway ta Fuck.

Maybe. A bit.

With Type O for me it is a throw between OR and World Coming Down, but OR just gets it.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa/Don't Break the Oath. This is the most obvious one to me, don't get how it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory/Branded and Exiled/Under Jolly Roger/Port Royal/Death or Glory/Blazon Stone/Pile of Skulls/Black Hand Inn. Pick a favourite, I dare you.

Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance/Secret Suderia. More inclined to pick AtWD, but if I listen to SS that'll probably change

Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire/King of the Dead. Uhhhhhhhhh

Always King of the Dead for me..dont get the fuss about Frost and Fire at all.

Mercyful Fate..impossible choice that.

#22 January 07, 2019, 03:28:35 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:32:08 PM by Pentagrimes
Voivod for me - always a tough call between Killing Technology and Nothingface, particularly as they're both so different.

It's probably one for the controversial opinions thread but it's mad looking at these how easy some of the choices are for me, though I'm definitely getting far fussier as I get older..for example I can't believe people like more than one Deicide record, think Arise is is anywhere in the same league as Beneath The Remains, or genuinely think October Rust (which is great but has a fair whack of filler to my ears) is as good as Bloody Kisses.  Tis mad how many bands I loved when I was maybe between 14 and 16 who'd barely get a look in bar one album at this stage though, or that I just couldn't care less about full stop (cough..Entombed..cough).

On the plus side this thread has made me want to go back and listen to Athiest's post "Piece of Time" output

Forefather - Ours is the Kingdom // Steadfast

I've never been too sure how popular Forefather are, but I really like these 2 albums. The others never really clicked much for me, although they all seem to get decent reviews.

The best two that I´ve heard..Steadfast is killer from start to finish.

Quote from: Cernunnos on January 06, 2019, 06:16:29 PM

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory/Branded and Exiled/Under Jolly Roger/Port Royal/Death or Glory/Blazon Stone/Pile of Skulls/Black Hand Inn. Pick a favourite

But Running wild , it's gates of purgatory hands down is easily my favourite followed by death or glory.

Ye say that, and I wouldn't put it past you, but Port Royal has the trio heavy hitter of Raging Fire, Into the Arena and Uaschitschun. And probably RW's best track, Conquistadors.

Also Death or Glory with the best opening track ever, and Battle of Waterloo.

Extremely difficult decision to pick a favourite for me.

Death - Spiritual Healing/Human  -  Human is a landmark album in my life but SH is the one I go back and listen to the most.
King's X - Faith Hope Love/Dogman  -  very different but equally brilliant
Faith No More - We Care A Lot/Introduce Yourself/The Real Thing/Angel Dust  -  The Patton albums are arguably higher quality but there's just something about the first two which I find totally endearing.
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God/Blood For The Master  - 

Quote from: TheFlyingGiraffe on January 07, 2019, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: Cernunnos on January 06, 2019, 06:16:29 PM

Ye say that, and I wouldn't put it past you, but Port Royal has the trio heavy hitter of Raging Fire, Into the Arena and Uaschitschun. And probably RW's best track, Conquistadors.

Also Death or Glory with the best opening track ever, and Battle of Waterloo.

Extremely difficult decision to pick a favourite for me.

Feck ya i see what you did there :) ok you've outlined some serious tunes, maybe im a bit biased as gates of purgatory was my first introduction to them so alot of good memories, so yes i now seem to have the Running wild conundrum  :(

And yes Death or Glory does have the best opening track ever!   

Metallica - Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets
I guess most people rate Puppets as the better album but I have never been able to decide.

Sodom - Persecution Mania/ Agent Orange
Same story. Both are just too fucking good to have a clear winner for me.

Agreed with Death being impossible to settle on.

Atheist is either Piece of Time or Unquestionable Presence. The latter is musically a stronger album, but the debut has Roger Patterson. Impossible to pick for me. The reissue of UP has demo tracks featuring Patterson so that technically pushes it across the line, but thats cheating.

Any Rush album from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures, each one is just so, so good