Quote from: astfgyl on September 04, 2022, 01:27:22 PMAt least everyone stopped caring about the diverse cast anyway

Going on the first ep, he's, ironically, the only one who actually carries himself elf-like. I'm not too bothered by the accent thing. It's a bit naff and juvenile in the way that it comes across, probably to appeal to youngsters and what not. I'm more put out by the rest of the elves being pretty lame.

#46 September 04, 2022, 04:11:13 PM Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:06:35 PM by Carnage
Just watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it TBH. The leprehobbits are absolutely cringeworthy of course (the Irish/backward subtext is as insulting as it is deliberate) and the accents are appalling, but thankfully there's relatively little of them so far. As everyone has said, it looks amazing too.

I've a friend who's working on the second seeason now who wasn't impressed with it, but on the basis of this episode I'm optimistic.

#47 September 04, 2022, 05:51:04 PM Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:53:33 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: astfgyl on September 04, 2022, 01:27:22 PMAt least everyone stopped caring about the diverse cast anyway

The people who were really going on about this didn't seem to know anything about Tolkien lore beyond the films. Tolkien describes High Elves as having pale complexion, but Arondir is not a high elf. Then there are the Harfoots, who Tolkien himself described as "browner of skin" than the other two Hobbit precursor races (if anything, it may be that the hobbits of the LOTR films were too white to be strictly faithful to Tolkien, which apparently is of the utmost importance to these people). That leaves the dwarf princess. I don't got nothing one way or the other for that.

Apart from all that shite...
SPOILERS START HERE: the big question for the moment seems to be whether the stranger from the meteor is Gandalf or whether it's a deception that he appears to be. Going by the history, people are saying he shouldn't arrive in Middle Earth for another millenium or so, but he would be alive at this time already in Valinor, I think. Are they maybe writing in a "first coming" for him?

#48 September 04, 2022, 06:35:13 PM Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:58:01 PM by Caomhaoin
B178FC8C-B327-412C-AC5E-9DE822A94C51.jpeg

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 04, 2022, 05:51:04 PM

The people who were really going on about this didn't seem to know anything about Tolkien lore beyond the films. Tolkien describes High Elves as having pale complexion, but Arondir is not a high elf. Then there are the Harfoots, who Tolkien himself described as "browner of skin" than the other two Hobbit precursor races (if anything, it may be that the hobbits of the LOTR films were too white to be strictly faithful to Tolkien, which apparently is of the utmost importance to these people). That leaves the dwarf princess. I don't got nothing one way or the other for that.

Spoiler
the big question for the moment seems to be whether the stranger from the meteor is Gandalf or whether it's a deception that he appears to be. Going by the history, people are saying he shouldn't arrive in Middle Earth for another millenium or so, but he would be alive at this time already in Valinor, I think. Are they maybe writing in a "first coming" for him?
[close]

The dwarf Princess is missing her beard. Some load of woke bollix making her look female, human-style.

Re the spoiler, it looks like that's the hint but I feel like you're saying that we might be getting thrown a curveball there but you'd never know how faithful they did or didn't stay to timelines at this stage.

Watched the first one there again and re the spoiler, it's surely going to be the lad

Spoiler
the big question for the moment seems to be whether the stranger from the meteor is Gandalf or whether it's a deception that he appears to be. Going by the history, people are saying he shouldn't arrive in Middle Earth for another millenium or so, but he would be alive at this time already in Valinor, I think. Are they maybe writing in a "first coming" for him?
[close]

Spoiler
Ya, I think that's likely a good call. I'd definitely say they'll introduce the Istari. I think Saruman is the eldest so unless he's already knocking around.... or unless they introduce him slightly out of order. It is likely to be Gandalf, what with the affinity he has for them.
[close]

#52 September 05, 2022, 08:09:36 AM Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:53:50 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Yes, that's exactly what I said to herself when we were watching, that if it is him, it's kind of a nice way of giving reason to that affinity.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 05, 2022, 08:09:36 AM
Spoiler
Yes, that's exactly what I said to herself when we were watching, that if it is him, it's kind of a nice way of giving reason to that affinity.
[close]

100%

Quote from: Emphyrio on September 05, 2022, 07:42:53 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Ya, I think that's likely a good call. I'd definitely say they'll introduce the Istari. I think Saruman is the eldest so unless he's already knocking around.... or unless they introduce him slightly out of order. It is likely to be Gandalf, what with the affinity he has for them.
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Emphyrio on September 05, 2022, 08:25:02 AM
Spoiler
[close]

100%

It would fit well indeed and maybe doesn't even have to go against timelines because it was a little vague about the when in the books iirc

#55 September 05, 2022, 10:24:56 AM Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:54:04 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
One thing that made me doubt is the echo in Nori remarking that the flame from the meteor is not hot and what Galadriel says about the torches giving off no heat due to the fortress in the northern wastelands being "so evil". Could be just a coincidence (or more deception!), but I was reminded of it as soon as Nori said it. And seems a few people think it's not Gandalf, but rather Sauron, even though to me Sauron arriving like that doesn't make sense. He's supposed to already be in Middle Earth.

How do I read spoilers without quoting the post, it says I'm barred

The spoilers yoke is kinda spoiling the overall look of the thread in general too, I think.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 05, 2022, 10:24:56 AM
Spoiler
One thing that made me doubt is the echo in Nori remarking that the flame from the meteor is not hot and what Galadriel says about the torches giving off no heat due to the fortress in the northern wastelands being "so evil". Could be just a coincidence (or more deception!), but I was reminded of it as soon as Nori said it. And seems a few people think it's not Gandalf, but rather Sauron, even though to me Sauron arriving like that doesn't make sense. He's supposed to already be in Middle Earth.
[close]

Ya, that would be odd.

When I started the thread, I took it that people would take for granted that it was going to contain spoilers, but there was a request for spoilers to come with a warning, so I was just respecting that. Will I change the thread title instead, make it a free-for-all spoil zone? I'm easy.