Might have a look into one so. Sounds the job.

Finally got through episode 2. Yeah really enjoying this. Can't wait for them to make an absolute fuck of it. Well hopefully not but it has potential

Also not a peep from the Irish about the woke Scottish dwarves. Maneens.

Watching a few scenes from the first ep a second time there and I was reminded of one gripe I have: parts of the score sound exactly like the old "And all because the lady loves Milk Tray" ad music  :laugh:

#78 September 07, 2022, 02:32:08 PM Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 02:40:36 PM by leatherface
I haven't seen it yet but I liked the Jackson LOTR movies when they were out. They looked like a realistic fantasy world peeled away in extreme detail. Dirty, dramatic, violent, horrific, magical. The Hobbit movies were dross. Now this re-imagining (as I understand) of Tolkien's world is being marketed as "it looks great", which is fine but woe betide anyone who says any bad things about it because you are probably a fascist, which I find incredibly toxic, so yeah,it's a 'pass'  from me. No interest.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 07, 2022, 02:17:48 PMWatching a few scenes from the first ep a second time there and I was reminded of one gripe I have: parts of the score sound exactly like the old "And all because the lady loves Milk Tray" ad music  :laugh:

Ah fuck now I'll hear it. Sound.

Quote from: leatherface on September 07, 2022, 02:32:08 PMI haven't seen it yet but I liked the Jackson LOTR movies when they were out. They looked like a realistic fantasy world peeled away in extreme detail. Dirty, dramatic, violent, horrific, magical. The Hobbit movies were dross. Now this re-imagining (as I understand) of Tolkien's world is being marketed as "it looks great", which is fine but woe betide anyone who says any bad things about it because you are probably a fascist, which I find incredibly toxic, so yeah,it's a 'pass'  from me. No interest.

I also find that attitude stinks, but it's not like that tbf. It's actually quite good so far and might as well accept that everything is going to be inclusive from here on in. It feels like the LOTR movie universe and might even look a bit better given how much time has passed.

The Hobbit movies are disgracefully bad. Even worse on a rewatch actually. It's better than those already.

This new series is already streets ahead of the Hobbit, which wouldn't be hard in fairness. A bit disappointed with the third episode though. I thought the 2nd episode was a big improvement on the first, obviously there has to be a bit of scene setting etc. But that latest one was a bit of an non-event, apart from the scenes with the orcs.

Ep 3, big change of pace. On a first watch anyway, twas too slow and a little too much of a strange mix; in parts it was more cinematic than we've yet seen it, in places too much so, but in other parts also more like a TV show (unnecessarily long conversations here and there) than anything in the first 2 eps. And the reveal of the sigil, which was nicely done, nevertheless tells us nothing we hadn't already guessed, so... aye, mixed feelings on this one.

I'll reserve judgement until I give it the 2nd watch but it was a bit slower tbf

Jaysus if it's slower again herself will definitely throw in the towel.

I still liked it on first look but I always miss things on the first go. Subtitles are quite useful for introducing characters too.

Also I copped at the start that it says it's based on the book The Lord Of The Rings and Appendices. So nothing from the Silmarillion then seemingly.

They have access to anything that's mentioned in LotR, its appendices, and, I think, The Hobbit. Nothing else. BUT it does mean that they can reference things that are in The Silmarillion, insofar as many episodes are mentioned in the appendices. But yeah, they don't actually have the rights to Unfinished Tales, etc., which I initially thought they did. It was well publicized that the estate were guarding The Silmarillion, so I incorrectly thought they'd have access to the rest. Basically, they paid all those millions for access to a limited part of the universe. The Tolkien Estate must be shrewd af.

Aye I wonder how much they'll sell the rights to the rest of it when Amazon want to make the next one. I must look again but I didn't see the Hobbit mentioned in the credits, although I haven't looked into it much except for presuming a few things. I tried not to read anything about it before I went in, just so it'd all be a surprise.

Agreed, I really enjoyed that episode.

The opening credits sequence is lame, both visually and musically, now that I have seen it a few times.

I did originally think the opening credits were too game of thronesy, but I actually think they're v well done if Im right in what think it represents. Although I'm not so sure not after the talk of not having rights to the silmarillion.

I assumed it was based on the first few chapters of it, about the creation of the world. The angels (forget the tolkein word used for them) sang in harmony to create the universe etc. The patterns of the grains of sand are the different harmonies they created, like sand on a speaker forming intricate patterns. As it goes on you see a snake like shape slithering through, distrubing the sand and break up the harmonic patterns. Which represents morgoth going against the chosen harmonies, disturbing them to create things for his own evil means. Can't remember the exact wording of the silmarillion but you get the jist.