September 02, 2022, 04:24:14 PM Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:52:33 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Most expensive TV show of all time get its own thread?

Watched first ep and a half there, will finish tonight.

Visually absolutely stunning, leagues beyond the aesthetic richness of the new GoT. Acting so far is spot on, story well spun, great action, funny accents maybe a stumbling block for the first few minutes, but very small complaint. The races all acting just like you'd expect based on the films' approach and really well written dialogue. So far, nothing major to critique at all and don't think anyone into the LOTR movie trilogy will be disappointed. I am most certainly not, having just had 90 great minutes of it. (Disclaimer: I don't know the Silmarillion, etc., lore as well as some of ye may, so I can't comment on changes that may irk those who do.)

Forgot about this going to throw it on tonight. Are there many episodes?

I've read the Silmarillion and I welcome it being presented in a way that anyone could understand. I'd say only the nerdiest of nerds will remember enough of the book to notice anything or maybe it's just me but it's one of the worst things I've ever read and LOTR is one of my favourites.

2 eps went live today, 1 a week every Friday from next week.

Ah grand I won't have to stay up all night if it's good

I'm assuming that because The Silmarillion is the first age, mostly, and the show is second age, there isn't too much scope to interfere with the lore overly much, apart from what has been discussed already. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I get a gawk at it this evening.

True. You've read The Lost Tales and stuff too though, right? So you'd still know better (I don't even know when they are all set). Prob be a bit of foundational myth telling in there from time to time over the whole series, I'd imagine.

The History of Middle Earth is a huge compilation of stuff and it's not hugely enjoyable. That said, I've only dipped my toes. People complain about The Silmarillion being inaccessible (personally it's my favourite book) but The History.... is such an amount to read for not a huge amount of actual story, that only those reading Tolkien at a scholarly level would really take anything from it. Maybe others here have delved deeper. The Fall of Numenor is due out soon and that could be the first standalone book to be set in the second age. Open to correction

Always enjoyed The Silmarillion myself too, but haven't opened it since my late teens.

Have read only the 3 Lotr books. Cautiously optimistic about this. Looks stunning.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2022, 04:24:14 PMVisually absolutely stunning, leagues beyond the aesthetic richness of the new GoT. Acting so far is spot on, story well, spun, great action, funny accents maybe a stumbling block for the first few minutes, but very small complaint.

Glad to hear that it looks good on screen because the ads I've seen for it looked poor enough! I read the trilogy a few times and loved it. Never had any inclination to dip into the expanded lore of The Silmarillion etc. so it'll all be fresh to me. Looking forward to giving it a watch.

Have it on here just finished ep 1 and I was waiting for cruise and Kidman to turn up with some of those accents. The Irish lad in braveheart - come back all is forgiven your accent wasn't the worst after all.

Anyway, that gripe aside it looks fantastic and feels like LOTR too. The couple of familiar faces helps and as I had hoped, the whole Silmarillion was pretty much covered by the first scenes before the credits even rolled and would have saved me 6 months of hard torture a few years ago.

Oh would if I could have enjoyed that book even a small bit more than I did enjoy reading the Bible that time I wanted to give the Jehovah's witnesses a hard time over the content of it. Would if I could indeed

Imagine a TV series based on The Bible. Now that would be epic, dark and amazing if tackled properly. Probably only a matter of time.

Can I just ask preemptively for spoiler warnings if indepth discussion happens? Dunno when I'll get to it and I've only read The Hobbit and 3 TLOTR books. Ta.

Spoiler alert: I remember most of the characters in the show from the Silmarillion but I still can't remember a note of the book.

The Bible will be unreal when it comes out. Some level of lore to go through in that one.

The Old Testament will be some craic.