Even with his diplomatic manner, I don't see him being able to reconcile some of the liberties taken in The Hobbit!

Bought the originals (Peter Jackson) recently on DVD second hand , spent about less than 3 euros on them all and they kick seven shades of shire out of this series. #neverforget

#182 October 01, 2024, 11:32:10 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 12:13:25 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
If they're the extended ones then you got an especially sweet deal!

They're great movies, though I do sometimes wish they were a little darker/more serious. Did ye know that Excalibur grew out of what was originally a pitch for a LotR movie? Boorman's pitch didn't respect Tolkien's texts at all, but a faithful adaptation with a tone and visual vibe more like Excalibur would really be incredible. Though also not nearly so commercially successful  :laugh:

The Hobbit is a bad book compared to Lord Of The Rings.

The Hobbit films are 3 bad films compared to the 3 Lord Of The Rings films.

Not rocket science lads

I've posted it in this thread before (I think?), but the 4 hour fan edit of The Hobbit is pretty much as good as any of the LotR trilogy and basically how it should have been made in the first place. The reason the "trilogy" of films was awful has nothing to do with the book, which is a great children's fantasy book for the period, much better than the Narnia ones, say.

I must check out that fan edit. The series had no business being 3 movies long and the elf/dwarf romance was one of the worst things committed to film and is a real disservice to the book. There is a great movie within the trilogy, in service to the, obviously more juvenile, book.

The LotR trilogy, particularly the extended versions, are basically flawless in my eyes.

Here's the link for the fan edit again:
https://m4-studios.github.io/hobbitbookedit/

I see there's been another update since June so I might grab it again. Also, my hard-drive will thank me if I replace the 20GB one for the 8GB  :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 02, 2024, 08:26:14 AMI've posted it in this thread before (I think?), but the 4 hour fan edit of The Hobbit is pretty much as good as any of the LotR trilogy and basically how it should have been made in the first place. The reason the "trilogy" of films was awful has nothing to do with the book, which is a great children's fantasy book for the period, much better than the Narnia ones, say.

I do remember you mentioning that and I must get on to it. The stretching done to those films is ridiculous out of 300 odd pages to make over 9 hours of film out of it.

The reason the book never floated my boat is because I read LOTR first and sure it doesn't hold a candle to it. I might look upon it more fondly had I read them the other way round. When I eventually convince one of the kids to read them I'll get them to start with The Hobbit for definite

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2024, 11:32:10 PMIf they're the extended ones then you got an especially sweet deal!

Yes! The extended ones. They were a christmas tradition back when. Very happy to reconnect with them. They have not dated and still look amazing.

Really good episode. Won't say much else yet.

Couldn't really have hoped for a better finale to a second season.

Haven't watched it yet but just saw a Forbes headline that labelled it as "A Truly Dreadful Finale"  :laugh:

I've enjoyed the Sauron and Adar storylines this season so I'm interested to see the finale.

Yer man who writes on the show for Forbes is a dzope though.

Can't say I've ever read any of their articles on the show. Season 1 finale was shite enough but I've high hopes for this one. My ideal finale would involve the Harfoots getting turfed into Mount Doom but that's probably asking too much  :laugh: