#765 July 30, 2020, 02:55:49 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:58:12 PM by Nail_Bombed
Quote from: livingabortion on July 30, 2020, 01:59:52 PM
Killswitch Engage. I hate this fucking band and I think their version of 'Holy Diver' was a shit cover. Controversial? I don't know, but true.

Horses for courses, like.
But - the Howard Jones era of the band (where the Holy Diver cover comes from) is by far their low point. End Of Heartache was a pretty nondescript/beige effort.
Their previous/current singer Jesse Leach was way better for the band. Their first two records are IMO lethal stuff, if you're into glossy commercial melodic death/hardcore.

Like you say, horses for courses, I wouldn't be the intended audience  :laugh:
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Concur about Killswitch in that Alive or Just breathing is a fantastic album and Jesse is the only good vocalist for the band. I was lucky to see them live in Belfast way back in the day.

I saw them with the other fucker and he was stone useless

Primordial never did anything for me. I know they are Ireland's Metal darlings, but I never took to them. I found them boring for them most part.

What's controversial about that?

Quote from: livingabortion on July 30, 2020, 09:17:42 PM
Primordial never did anything for me. I know they are Ireland's Metal darlings, but I never took to them. I found them boring for them most part.

Them and waylander.  No idea why these bands are as popular as they are.  Then again I can't talk with some of my music tastes  :laugh:

Not a lot, but I think this was the closest thread for it.

Quote from: Blackout on July 30, 2020, 09:20:29 PM

Them and waylander.  No idea why these bands are as popular as they are.  Then again I can't talk with some of my music tastes  :laugh:

I like Waylanders version of King Of The Faries.

I think Primordial would be a lot better if they could write actual songs. The middle four minutes of The Coffin Ships gives me a lump in me throat, but the few minutes either side of that sounds like a meandering and pointless diddly-aye exercise for guitar.

Maiden (rightly) get a lot of flack for superfluous intros, but at least they have the excuse of being auld lads and it gives them breathing room when playing live.

Quote from: Ducky on July 31, 2020, 01:13:41 PM

I think Primordial would be a lot better if they could write actual songs. The middle four minutes of The Coffin Ships gives me a lump in me throat, but the few minutes either side of that sounds like a meandering and pointless diddly-aye exercise for guitar.

Maiden (rightly) get a lot of flack for superfluous intros, but at least they have the excuse of being auld lads and it gives them breathing room when playing live.

I've only ever dabbled in Primordial over the years and recently I made another stab at getting into them. The meandering song arrangements are definitely a struggle. I think the point for them as songwriters is to capture a "vibe" in its truest form though and not kill the songs with over refining and over analysing. That's what makes them the band that they are but also what puts so many people off. If they got some hot shot producer in there with the intent of shaving the songs down into succinct metal anthems they might reach a new audience but they wouldn't be Primordial anymore.

No, they'd be.... PrimeCordial...  :abbath:

Piece by piece is the best track on Reign in Blood.

Quote from: Blackout on August 13, 2020, 11:12:22 PM
Piece by piece is the best track on Reign in Blood.

The only one from the album they didn't play live  until they started doing the whole album as as encore years after

Piece by Piece is savage. There are no bad songs on that album but it is among the best.