Iron maiden waving the butchers apron at gigs is classic brit ignorance of their own bloody history.

It's like if bono wore an IRA 'sniper at work' t shirt at a Birmingham gig.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the responses here - I said something to the same effect about waving the flag on the old forum and people were up in arms that I thought it was wrong.

The passive attitude people have to the brits history in this country is quite ridiculous. Other countries must look at us as a bunch of subservient morons at times.

What other country celebrates their occupiers?

How is Ireland celebrating our historic occupancy? I think there might be a difference between a country who has managed to get itself out from under the yoke of its former oppressor and get up on its own two feet (with all of the inevitable problems and corruption that goes along with that) and thus be able to shrug off something as un-oppressive as a piece of minor theatre and a country so caught up in its own sense of victimhood so as not to be able to bear such a very minor bit of flag waving. I mean,  would it be better if every Maiden gig ended up like the Love Ulster march? I think it's a far healthier response to take it for what it is, and not read too much into it.  The song rules.  A Maiden gig without it would be lacking and the flag gets waved in every single country they play in so to DECIDE to take offence to it is kind of self defeating.  Surely it's possible to be proud of your country and critical of how or history played out with the Brits without waging war at the drop of a hat?

Theres no decision to be offended, it's just offensive. As someone who has studied Irish history extensively North and South, partitioning the country has caused the lives of thousands of people.

I agree with the comparison to the Confederate earlier. There is no diluting what it represents.

Apologies for dragging the thread into a political rant.

Quote from: Blackout on July 25, 2020, 07:04:13 PM
The passive attitude people have to the brits history in this country is quite ridiculous. Other countries must look at us as a bunch of subservient morons at times.

What other country celebrates their occupiers?

Because it's just that - history. I'm (thankfully) too far removed from all of that shit to care.

What's the point in continually being offended? I'm not saying don't pretend it didn't happen, but treat it like what it is, a piece of history. No one living in England today are responsible for occupying Ireland. At what point do we collectively say "it's in the past" and move on with our lives and co-existence? If you're that mortally offended by a piece of theatre then you should probably get all your albums, books, art, whatever, by "Brit" artists and have a wee bonfire for yourself.

And yes, I'm very much in the "people who are offended by The Trooper flag waving are dopes" camp.

When it comes to dopes, that would better apply to the British public at large with respect to the true nature of their history, by decision of the powers that be, a decision which is still in effect in classrooms today. It is a piece of theatre, but what's shocking is that it wouldn't even occur to most British people (again, because of intentional educational choices of the governing) that it could possibly be seen as offensive to some, like, you'd have to sit them down and explain it to them with factual evidence. You wouldn't have to do that with a German. I'm not really offended by anything, but I do see it as one of so many signs of literally wanton ignorance.

Wanton ignorance? I hear you're a racist now,  Father.

Quote from: ldj on July 24, 2020, 03:48:51 PM
Napalm Death's later stuff is better than Scum/FETO, I get that at the time nothing like that had been done but it's pretty unlistenable imo. I'd rate Enemy of the Music Business and Apex Predator as among their best.

Napalm Death haven't made a decent album since 'Fear, Emptiness, Despair'. The few experimental albums they released after it weren't great but at least they tried a different approach. They've played it safe since 'Enemy of the Music Business', apart from the time they had John Zorn squawking on a song back in 2012.

Quote from: Blackout on July 25, 2020, 05:28:18 PM

It's like if bono wore an IRA 'sniper at work' t shirt at a Birmingham gig.

Bono wearing a 'sniper at work' t shirt would actually be like Bruce wearing a 'up the black and tans' shirt.

Although technically more blatantly "offensive", that would at least indicate some awareness of relevant historical facts  :laugh:

Killswitch Engage. I hate this fucking band and I think their version of 'Holy Diver' was a shit cover. Controversial? I don't know, but true.

What I find can shut the Brits up if the start going on about "foreigners" is mentioning their empire and how they went around invading other people's countries and saying that as they went into other people's countries they can't expect people not to want to have access to theirs. If they have a couple of brain cells to rub together then they usually shut up.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Quote from: livingabortion on July 30, 2020, 01:59:52 PM

What I find can shut the Brits up if the start going on about "foreigners" is mentioning their empire and how they went around invading other people's countries and saying that as they went into other people's countries they can't expect people not to want to have access to theirs. If they have a couple of brain cells to rub together then they usually shut up.

I thought their demo was excellent.