Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on May 20, 2020, 04:40:02 PM
Quote from: Juggz on May 20, 2020, 01:34:51 PM
Unreal. As everybody knows, only tapes are real.
Unreal, reel to reel....

Why did I read that to the tune of lady in red.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 20, 2020, 07:02:47 PM
Shut the fuck up ye annoying bastards

I hadn't even got to the "fuck" part and I bought right into it

Back on topic so...

8 strings is too many. There is a bass guitar for those notes.

Robbo was Lizzy's best guitarist.

Sure, Gary was technically a better guitarist but in the context of Lizzy Robbo's style suited them more, the solo on the Live and Dangerous version of Still In Love With You is one of the best solo's ever recorded.

Quote from: astfgyl on May 20, 2020, 09:44:57 PM
Back on topic so...

8 strings is too many. There is a bass guitar for those notes.

I agree.  I watched a few videos of Ihsahn playing through his tunes (Some really good stuff there, actually), and despite his playing being fantastic I find that ultra low tuning a bit too modern sounding.

There's something almost uncanny about it, as if it doesn't resonate in your head as a guitar.

Didn't Jeff Berlin (when pushed on why he "only" played four string basses) say something to the effect of let's explore the limits of what four strings can do before we need to start adding to it (prog nerds, correct me if I'm wrong here!).

That seems logical to me.  It's like setting yourself boundaries when starting a band,  like doom or death or whatever.  Yes,  on one hand you are limiting it tremendously,  but if you are creative and into it you should be able to come up with something relevant and exciting.  It can help focus your creativity I find.  Once you eliminate the options you don't want you're unlikely to end up with a compromised teenage-y mishmash of disparate styles. Just because you can play a brutal DM riff and follow it with a funk part doesn't mean you should.  It certainly doesn't mean you're avant garde  :laugh:

After years of playing in a variety of tunings and on a few multi string instruments, I find a 7 string in B standard to be my favourite tuning and string count.  Either with the low string dropped to A or not, it gives plenty of low end for what you're at and doesn't sacrifice any of the high end.  I own an 8 string but think I've played it twice in the last three years.  Just doesn't do it for me at all, going to flog it I'd say.  I have a 6 string set up in a drop G sort of tuning and it's good sport to play in, but everything I write on it I end up reworking for the B or A tuning on the 7 once it goes to be used properly.

Been playing a good bit of bass at home lately and I think I prefer a 4 string tuned low/BEAD, than a 5 string standard.

I've no issues with 8 strings or anything like that once the songs are decent, although I do remember everyone going out to buy them a few years ago and just bashing away on the two low strings

Quote from: ochoill on May 28, 2020, 01:07:21 PM
Been playing a good bit of bass at home lately and I think I prefer a 4 string tuned low/BEAD, than a 5 string standard.
I've my 5 string tuned standard with a high C to add a bit more melodic touches, although I find the stuff I'm writing is a lot more straightforward these days and will probably just switch to a 4 string for comfort

At the other end of the scale, Max Cavalera says if you can't jumpdafuckup with 2 strings it aint worth doing

Judging by the head on Max these days, I'd say he uses one braincell per string which would use up most of his brain power.

This one may  have been said. I think all the nwobhm is very meh
Play the Academy July 13th

I file it in the same drawer as late 70s/ early 80s American punk rock in that I can appreciate its influence but I don't really get anything from listening to it.

Also as is the case with punk rock, I think a lot of people pretend to like it more than they actually do just because it gives them credibility and coolness points.

Not sure if this is controversial or not. I still love picture disks. Still buy them too. I never had a very sensitive ear so I don't really notice any drop in audio quality.

#509 May 29, 2020, 10:07:11 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:57:30 PM by Giggles
Y'all need to school yourself with Diamond Head and shut the fuck up with this "nwobhm is shite" nonsense.

https://youtu.be/a5OTUaZpJDs

What an absolute banger of an album. Sean Harris's sexy vocals and Brian Tatler's killer riffs.

Lightning to the Nations, The Prince, Am I Evil, It's Electric, Helpless.... all stone cold classics and I'll fight anybody who says otherwise  :abbath:

EDIT: Nick Tart is also sexy