Fretless bass sounds great too, ye philistines.

It's amazing to hear an unusual melodic voice, especially when the instrument is usually relegated to the background.

Quote from: Ducky on April 23, 2020, 11:24:12 AM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on April 23, 2020, 10:20:45 AM
Jazz can get fucked, pretentious wank!
I've listened to it under every influence going and it still makes zero sense to me.  :abbath:

It's pretentious because you don't understand it? John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" pissed from a great height on most other music.
I dunno man. It just doesn't resonate with my chakras man.....  :abbath:

Jazz is without a doubt, overall, the most pretentious of all genres with the possible exception of classical avant-garde. And I like jazz, I even started the Newpark music school...but left it because Guilfoyle was so insufferably pretentious!

I find jazz to be the most self-indulgent type of music. I can appreciate the skill involved and all that but I find it either totally OTT or bland elevator/restaurant music.

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on April 23, 2020, 08:44:59 AM
Quote from: ldj on April 23, 2020, 01:43:24 AM
More of a controversial 'rock' opinion but early Queens of the Stone Age were better than Kyuss.
If you mean commercially, yes.
Nope, I just find them more musically interesting tbh, especially on Rated R/SFTD.

They had more variety, the riffs were a lot weirder and having 3 vocalists gave them a great dynamic too.

I can easily settle this one.  They are both shite.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 23, 2020, 01:58:18 PM
Yes, but the big question is, which one is more shit than the other?  :laugh:

QotSA are unlistenable, poppy shite.

All desert rock is shite. If you were around when that scene was starting and going to those desert gigs and doing a lot of acid and heroin, I could maybe understand getting off on the music. But as a genre in its own right, it has no merit.

It would be so easy to make an algorithm that generates posts indistinguishable from yours  :laugh:

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 23, 2020, 01:58:18 PM

Ah now. Ah now. Far from shite.

Seen as it's a controversial opinions thread I'll go one step further, between 1998 - 2004, Queens of the Stone Age were the best band on the planet making any form of rock or heavy music  :laugh:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOsmG-sufNc

#208 April 23, 2020, 03:57:58 PM Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:01:49 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: Ducky on April 23, 2020, 11:24:12 AM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on April 23, 2020, 10:20:45 AM
Jazz can get fucked, pretentious wank!
I've listened to it under every influence going and it still makes zero sense to me.  :abbath:

It's pretentious because you don't understand it? John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" pissed from a great height on most other music.

I have one CD here of John Coltrane and Miles Davis and it satisfies all of my extremely limited Jazz needs. It's good and all but gives me no desire to go any farther.

QOTSA are only ok to me. I liked it a bit at the time but it didn't take me long to get bored with it.

ReLoad is far better than St. Anger. ReLoad has a lot of bad tunes but the couple of decent ones it does have elevate it miles above St. Anger's no good tunes and unlistenable mix.

Reload felt like the leftover stuff from the over bloated load recording session.
At least St Anger was a band in crisis putting a out a response to that crisis. It turned out to be cack but it wasn't a rehash. It's still terrible but it's better than reload. 
Actually it's all shit. I'd like to hear the presidio songs.