Pantera were fucking class. Nu metal my hole.

Quote from: Pedrito on April 22, 2020, 10:27:44 PM
Pantera were fucking class. Nu metal my hole.
Who da fook mentioned Pantera and Nu Metal in the same sentence?  :abbath:

The Great Southern Trendkill is their best album, followed by CFH and VDOP.  No patience at all any more for the rest of it but I loved it in my teens, all of it, except RTS.

I have a fantastic memory from soon after Dimebag died of being at an afters, a particular chap from the town turns up with a late group, everyone flying form until one lad cracks out an old camcorder (tape one), first chap goes "haha film me doing something mad like the pantera tapes" so we said fuck it, we'll do him in with a dentist's chair of buckfast.  Sure he acts up for the camera, "this ones for dimebag man" throwing the horns and all that craic, leans back, then closes his fuckin mouth on the first whoosh off the bottle, whole thing just pools up right into his eyes - which he just opens straight away and starts roaring, "fuck fuck i'm blind", pure panic.  Of course we're locked so we think no more of it and leave him suffer it out on the couch.  He didn't go blind but I got sick laughing at that tape, it stuck around for months afterwards until a lad filmed something much more decrepit over it.

More of a controversial 'rock' opinion but early Queens of the Stone Age were better than Kyuss.

Quote from: ldj on April 23, 2020, 01:43:24 AM
More of a controversial 'rock' opinion but early Queens of the Stone Age were better than Kyuss.
If you mean commercially, yes.

Blastbeats and fretless bass can both get fucked. Never understood the appeal of either.  I've never figured out the appeal of lads like Steve DiGorgio.

I don't mind blasts used very sparingly. They can be nice for impact but cannot stand them for long. Bands who use them relentlessly are unlistenable to me.

Quote from: Juggz on April 23, 2020, 09:34:47 AM
I don't mind blasts used very sparingly. They can be nice for impact but cannot stand them for long. Bands who use them relentlessly are unlistenable to me.

That's where I'm coming from too on them.

Yeah, brootul death metal springs to mind.

As for the fretless bass stuff, totally in agreement there. I appreciate the ability, I just find it annoying. Jazz awaits, chaps.

Jazz can get fucked, pretentious wank!
I've listened to it under every influence going and it still makes zero sense to me.  :abbath:

Kyuss were far superior to the first couple of Queens of the Stone Age albums.
Songs for the deaf is up there as an excellent rock album.

Here's one. St Anger is better than Reload.

I don't think anyone really gives a shit about either of those albums, so an opinion comparing them is kind of excluded from being controversial. It's not even interesting!

I'd put the first QOTSA album up with any Kyuss album TBH, brilliant stuff. The split they did was great, too.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 23, 2020, 10:52:57 AM
I don't think anyone really gives a shit about either of those albums, so an opinion comparing them is kind of excluded from being controversial. It's not even interesting!
Is right. I've never even heard Sgt Anger....

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on April 23, 2020, 10:20:45 AM
Jazz can get fucked, pretentious wank!
I've listened to it under every influence going and it still makes zero sense to me.  :abbath:

It's pretentious because you don't understand it? John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" pissed from a great height on most other music.