Quote from: Circlepit on July 07, 2024, 09:47:01 AMAltars Of Madness is brilliant but the weakest of the first 3 MA albums.

Agreed. When they got out of the comfort zone on Blessed/Covenant that's when they came into their own.

Quote from: Carnage on July 07, 2024, 04:36:56 AMI is the best thing Abbath has been involved with.
Haven't listened to enough Immortal to have a strong opinion on Abbaths output, but that I album is fucking brilliant alright

Quote from: Danny on July 06, 2024, 11:36:17 PMHere's 1 to cheer yis all up no doubt. ABBATH's solo records shit all over & are way more fun than IMMORTAL's- besides maybe 5 listenable songs at most.

Also Burzum still suck ass.

So does Agalloch- I'd much rather listen to fuck all- or me wife shittin on about make up, fake tan & Nikki fuckin Minaj.  :-X

What are you huffing, Danny boy?  :laugh: At the Heart of Winter is the last good album Abbath was involved in.

You're right about Agalloch though.

#1638 July 08, 2024, 11:44:35 AM Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 11:59:15 AM by The Wretch
Damned In Black and Sons Of Northern Darkness are cracking. Even All Shall Fall is decent. And yes, the 'I' album is mighty. 

Quote from: Ducky on June 13, 2024, 11:31:12 AMBradley Hall is a daft lad. He comes across like he can't stand metal, then does a video of himself playing the guitar parts to Rust in Peace in one take.

Sadly, I think his comedy shtick is what's required to get any attention from the kids these days.

I will say this though, after 30 plus years of playing guitar, I can now sweep pick because of his lessons.

Quote from: Sworntothecans on July 07, 2024, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: Circlepit on July 07, 2024, 09:47:01 AMAltars Of Madness is brilliant but the weakest of the first 3 MA albums.
Agreed. When they got out of the comfort zone on Blessed/Covenant that's when they came into their own.

Totally agree with this. I'd rate the 1st 4 MA as follows- Covenant-Blessed-Domination-Altars
But even Altars is brilliant. Might even beat out Domination if not for Where The Slime Live.
Covenant really is a fuckin masterful record. World Of Shit, Sworn To The Black...fuckin God Of Emptiness. Fuckin untouchable

I'LL TAKE YOUR SOUL & YOU'LL BE LIKE ME - IN EMPTINESSSSSS
BOOOW TO ME FAITHFULLYYY--BOWW TO ME SPLENDIDLYYY

FFS it's excellence

BATS is top dog for me, it sounds like nothing else, incredible variety but just flows flawlessly. Covenant next, then Altars and Domination, but it's close. You can't go wrong with putting any of them on for a spin.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on July 08, 2024, 07:50:42 PMBATS is top dog for me, it sounds like nothing else, incredible variety but just flows flawlessly. Covenant next, then Altars and Domination, but it's close. You can't go wrong with putting any of them on for a spin.

Still remember the day I got Blessed.. on tape. Got home and listened to it about 5 times in a row. Blown away !

I thought yous were on about the Gama Bomb album BATS for a second there
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Mr Barlow on July 08, 2024, 08:57:59 PM
Quote from: Bürggermeister on July 08, 2024, 07:50:42 PMBATS is top dog for me, it sounds like nothing else, incredible variety but just flows flawlessly. Covenant next, then Altars and Domination, but it's close. You can't go wrong with putting any of them on for a spin.

Still remember the day I got Blessed.. on tape. Got home and listened to it about 5 times in a row. Blown away !

Same, I spent that whole summer with that in the walkman. Their best for me as well, I'd rank them BATS > Covenant > AOM > Domination > the five decent tracks on Illud as an EP. Zero interest in the Tucker material, I've never liked any of it.

Altars is my favourite, but it was a very formative album for me so it will always be one of those special ones.

I suppose if I was looking at it more objectively and less nostalgic,  I'd probably agree that Blessed is the better album though

DCBA for me as it's the order I first heard them in. That one/two punch of Domninate/Where The Slime Lives had me hooked!

Surprised there's so much love for Domination! That album is bog standard compared to the first 3. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh pisses on Domination. Even Gateways to Annihilation is better.

I reckon its because Domination is a more accessible album relevantly speaking
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 08, 2024, 09:27:44 PMSurprised there's so much love for Domination! That album is bog standard compared to the first 3. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh pisses on Domination. Even Gateways to Annihilation is better.

I prefer Domination out of the first four. Mostly down to the production.

Further controversial MA opinion - Gateways is their best album. I have no idea why either :laugh: