#1650 July 08, 2024, 10:13:26 PM Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 10:19:05 PM by Sworntothecans
Quote from: Thorn on July 08, 2024, 09:34:39 PMI reckon its because Domination is a more accessible album relevantly speaking

That's definitely an element, album is full of hooks!

I've never enjoyed Tucker as a vocalist. FFTTF/GTA have some class songs on them, but you do miss the clarity that Dave brought to the band.

Tucker got a bit of the mushmouth to his style.

Didn't Tucker get ran out of Cork too?

Yeah compared to Vincent, Tucker's less defined style definitely was a sea change for Morbid Angel, hard liners would say it wasn't 'proper' Morbid Angel any more. Trey's riffs were largely present and correct but Tucker's vocals compared to Vincent's had a dumbing down effect. I like Steve Tucker. I like what he contributed to Morbid Angel. It was just that stepping into the main man's dusty old cowboys boots that was always against him.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Thorn on July 08, 2024, 10:28:03 PMYeah compared to Vincent, Tucker's less defined style definitely was a sea change for Morbid Angel, hard liners would say it wasn't 'proper' Morbid Angel any more. Trey's riffs were largely present and correct but Tucker's vocals compared to Vincent's had a dumbing down effect. I like Steve Tucker. I like what he contributed to Morbid Angel. It was just that stepping into the main man's dusty old cowboys boots that was always against him.

To paraphrase The Wire "Come at death metal Don Dokken, you best not miss!"

Yep,.Pretty much,.I must look into paraphrasing
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Count Magnus on July 08, 2024, 09:27:44 PMSurprised there's so much love for Domination! That album is bog standard compared to the first 3. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh pisses on Domination.

This I do agree with.

I'm torn on whether Altars or Blessed is my favourite, depending on the day/my mood. I'd also rate Abominations and Thy Kingdom Come really highly.

After that, I'd say Covenant > Formulas > Domination > Gateways > Heretic > Kingdoms > Illud.

I'd rate Blessed highest, with Altars and Covenant in joint second place. Abominations is great as well. Domination just sounds very dull in comparison.

Never listened to Heretic for some reason! I must give it a spin.

#1656 July 09, 2024, 09:10:19 AM Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:45:16 AM by Carnage
I forgot about Abominations, it's decent alright. Had a look there and it seems Altars is the only one I have on CD, I must rectify that.

Quote from: Ducky on July 08, 2024, 10:05:11 PM
Quote from: Count Magnus on July 08, 2024, 09:27:44 PMSurprised there's so much love for Domination! That album is bog standard compared to the first 3. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh pisses on Domination. Even Gateways to Annihilation is better.

I prefer Domination out of the first four. Mostly down to the production.

Further controversial MA opinion - Gateways is their best album. I have no idea why either :laugh:

Shame on you for your disgusting pro-Domination comments.

I do enjoy Gateways. It's a solid album, just not up there with the first 3 and Fatal.

Domination is great, albeit my personal least favourite of the first four. Wouldn't call it bog standard either, since, love or hate it, it's absolutely iconic in its sound and atmosphere. Each of the first four are in their own way, which is the very feat that made MA stand out from the pack for so long  :abbath:  :abbath:

Agree with Mr. BSC here, it has such a vibe (right down to the obnoxiously-coloured sleeve).

Just perusing MA's MA entry - the non-CD versions of AoM don't feature Lord of All Fevers and Plague?!  ???  ???  ???

That's one of their best songs full stop, and having it sit just before Chapel of Ghouls is chef's kiss.

Covenant is the absolute best.
That swirly dirty guitar sound is just savage. The vocal performance is brilliant.
Formulas is like sone really long computer have soundtrack with death metal added.
It's still brilliant and I don't think any other band would have gotten away with it.

Altars, Covenant or Formulas for number one, depending on the day, followed by Domination and then Gateways.

Blessed are the sick is my personal favourite, probably because it was the first one I heard.

I'd enjoy Morbid Angel a whole lot more if Sandoval wasn't such a one trick pony.

He's very good at that trick (going fast as fuck), but it kinda makes all their songs bleed together.

Quote from: Ducky on July 18, 2024, 04:37:38 PMI'd enjoy Morbid Angel a whole lot more if Sandoval wasn't such a one trick pony.

He's very good at that trick (going fast as fuck), but it kinda makes all their songs bleed together.

What sort of craziness is  this?