I don't even know the ad but I do know it would be better with a tinkly slowed down version of a classic pop song, with a young one singing in a plaintive voice on the top and starring russell howard as one or both of the characters. Something like Motorhead's Ace of Spades would be perfect in that style

Quote from: astfgyl on May 01, 2020, 09:38:34 PM
I don't even know the ad but I do know it would be better with a tinkly slowed down version of a classic pop song, with a young one singing in a plaintive voice on the top and starring russell howard as one or both of the characters. Something like Motorhead's Ace of Spades would be perfect in that style
You clearly missed the version of Enter Sandman I posted in there a few weeks back.  Or was it months

The drum beat in Travis's Why Does it Always Rain on Me. It's a dull, maudlin song as it is but that lazy, plodding beat is the worst type of misery.

Speaking of shit drum beats the drumming in Katatonia is fucking horrendous. That insistent 1-2 beat ruins any sense of atmosphere rendering every song interchangeable. I actually ordered Dance of December Souls on Thursday because I've recently been getting into it on YouTube and the drumming is fine on that one,  but I fired on Brave Murder Day on recommendation and had to kill it after a song and a half. Fucking Hell, I found it torturous to listen to.

That's pretty funny, since Karl is a huge fan. Never noticed myself, though I'd never have said the drumming was particularly remarkable either.

It's so robotic and soulless. Dunno, it wrecks my head.

The drumming in Katatonia was pretty nondescript until Daniel Liljekvist joined - he didn't record an album until Last Fair Deal, so they obviously sound a whole lot different by then.

Think Dan Swano played them on Tonight's Decision.

If you really want to avoid shit versions of songs, do yourselves a favour and don't click on Metallica's latest country version of Blackened, brought to you by Salesforce.

Quote from: Ducky on May 02, 2020, 01:31:02 PM
The drumming in Katatonia was pretty nondescript until Daniel Liljekvist joined - he didn't record an album until Last Fair Deal, so they obviously sound a whole lot different by then.

Think Dan Swano played them on Tonight's Decision.

I think it works on some of the stuff. It's grand on Discouraged Ones but it is very bad on BMD and I always found it tough on Tonight's Decision. I didn't know it was even a different drummer on that one. The drums actually put me off their stuff for a long time back in the day but I learned to ignore it as I liked all the other elements.

A peeve of mine lately is pop songs that make reference to brands and modern technology. Like the mention of facebook was in some shit the daughter was listening to and some other shit about refreshing the screen as well and mentioning an iphone by name. I dunno it just seems too on the nose or something. Then again it's probably just me as I hear loads of old songs mentioning radios and televisions and phones in the traditional sense and I have no problem with it

Couldn't resist Blackened 2020. I lasted a minute.

Discouraged Ones is my fave album of theirs but that's despite the naff drumming.

I understand that good drumming doesn't necessarily make a bad song better (hello Machine Head's discography), but good drumming always elevates music for me. Imagine Rush if Rutsey stuck around and Peart beaver joined...

Discouraged Ones is my favourite of their stuff as well. I am probably more forgiving of the awful drumming because of this, but yeah the more I think of it, it is awful.

Discouraged Ones also my top pick, incidentally

Quote from: astfgyl on May 01, 2020, 09:38:34 PM

Jeeeeesus that really does my head in. Fucking advertising piano covers. The most loathsome of genres, behind electro-swing