That isn't a thing.

Allow me as a (somewhat) younger person to chime in here. The only way I've seen straight being referred to as uncool or whatever is in a joking way, or to call out someone being homophobic. That comes from a position of having to defend/justify your existence as a discriminated class in society, and is completely different to the casual joking use of "gay"/"homo" whatever because it was never a threat to anyone to be straight. I've long since abandoned using those terms, which may have been in vogue for a couple of years as a stupid teenager to describe things (even if I consciously thought homophobia was wrong), because it's simply not right.

No one genuinely has a problem with people being straight. It's only used to call people out on having their heads up their hole and get them to reconsider their attitudes. Having people more comfortable about who they love can only be a good thing.

Up next - Religion!

#1442 May 01, 2020, 04:20:58 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:30:58 PM by Caomhaoin
Calling things you dislike as 'gay' isn't a cardinal sin, but the game has changed. In fact it's hard to keep up. It's ok to say 'people of colour' but not 'coloured people' which I find bizarre. Jeremy Corbyn introducing himself to the nation as 'Hi, I'm Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party and my pronouns are he/him' left me alarmed and frankly startled.

My pronouns are he/him. Wow.

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on May 01, 2020, 03:59:32 PM
That isn't a thing.

Allow me as a (somewhat) younger person to chime in here. The only way I've seen straight being referred to as uncool or whatever is in a joking way, or to call out someone being homophobic. That comes from a position of having to defend/justify your existence as a discriminated class in society, and is completely different to the casual joking use of "gay"/"homo" whatever because it was never a threat to anyone to be straight. I've long since abandoned using those terms, which may have been in vogue for a couple of years as a stupid teenager to describe things (even if I consciously thought homophobia was wrong), because it's simply not right.

No one genuinely has a problem with people being straight. It's only used to call people out on having their heads up their hole and get them to reconsider their attitudes. Having people more comfortable about who they love can only be a good thing.

Not picking holes in what your saying but the last point you make about "It's only used to call people out on having their heads up their hole" is a massive shift in thinking and comes from decades of pushing a certain mode of thinking, a certain narrative, that is everywhere now, especially in Irish culture. Whether you think the end result is right or wrong is irrelevant really. I personally couldn't care less, I have gay mates, whatever, what interests me more is something more subtle which relates to how the culture changed so dramatically. 

The seismic shifts you're talking about generally happened in countries which were historically extremely conservative, religiously or otherwise. Now you have some people trying to put part of the lid back on the pot, but obviously that's just going to be met with virulent rejection.

Best thing for it is just to take a deep breath and step away from the cooker. Let it be, let it cool down. "Like trying to calm water with a flat iron," as Alan Watts says, "you only disturb it all the more."

I don't really understand this business of there being a hundred different genders, or why they need to add a Q for queer when isn't that gay or pan sexual is different from bi. And then there's the whole people want to be 'they'not 'he' like that Sam Smith man....er person.
I'm cool that people want to do that sort of thing...I just feel the world has passed me by making me look a little like an accepting Alf Garnet

Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on May 01, 2020, 04:55:37 PM
I don't really understand this business of there being a hundred different genders, or why they need to add a Q for queer when isn't that gay or pan sexual is different from bi. And then there's the whole people want to be 'they'not 'he' like that Sam Smith man....er person.
I'm cool that people want to do that sort of thing...I just feel the world has passed me by making me look a little like an accepting Alf Garnet
Yeah, suck & lick whatever the fuck you want. Just shut up about it.

Wise proverb of the day

#1448 May 01, 2020, 05:32:00 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:36:11 PM by Eoin McLove
For when the simple motto 'live and let live' doesn't quite satisfy all your attention-starved needs. 'Fuck off, you boring cunt' is another motto worth keeping handy.

In fairness, though, I'm not sure how prevalent all this kind of mumbo jumbo is outside of the internet and American universities.

#1449 May 01, 2020, 07:53:21 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:55:54 PM by Eoin McLove
There's a trend that's been going the last few years of comedians doing shows with their oul ones. It simply displays a lack of any sort of creativity at this point.

'You thought I wasn't funny,  you should see my oul one. She's not even a professional comedienne! Anyway, she'll be on my new show.'

That Uncle Ben rice ad, with the two cunts and their 'eether either' shite, and the little singalong they have at the end. Baseball bats or a hammerfight for ye pricks.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 01, 2020, 07:53:21 PM
There's a trend that's been going the last few years of comedians doing shows with their oul ones. It simply displays a lack of any sort of creativity at this point.

'You thought I wasn't funny,  you should see my oul one. She's not even a professional comedienne! Anyway, she'll be on my new show.'

For some reason Russell Howard springs to mind but I don't even know if he did that

As if Russell Howard wasn't hateful enough,  imagine watching a tv show with him and the cunt who shat him out! I choose death...

Quote from: Carnage on May 01, 2020, 09:15:54 PM
That Uncle Ben rice ad, with the two cunts and their 'eether either' shite, and the little singalong they have at the end. Baseball bats or a hammerfight for ye pricks.

I reckon if they keep on recycling that stupid idea in ads it'll eventually become original and clever.

Hammerfights? I'm all for it.

Russell Howard had his mother with him on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown, she was much more humourous than he's ever been.

The guy I work(ed) with once heckled him off the stage, before he 'made it'. Loathsome, blinky cunt.