I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months ago, at the start of the first lockdown and it died recently, won't power on. Shit happens, it's only a few months old, it's under warranty. I logged a ticket with Gamestop about how to get a warranty repair. "Bring it into a local store" they said. Grand.

Just called into the local Gamestop. After much ooohing and aaaahing and being asked if I bought it new more than once (as well as when I bought it, more than once), they wouldn't accept it for repair and told me I'd have to take it up with Nintendo directly.

Shit service like that means I'll be buying everything else directly too and won't bother wasting my fucking time with the middleman in future.

If it's still under warranty should gamestop not replace it?

The stupidity of sat navs. Was done in dublin last week for a few days and took the wee fella down to the zoo.
We were staying in Clontarf so it it a simple east to west along the river through the city center. The misses was using the car sat nav and I had it on my phone to cause I just like knowing.

Now for some bizzarre reason, while my phone said it was a straight line all the way to phoenix park, the car sat nav half way said to turn left. I thought maybe it was just going down and then back up to avoid a bit of traffic, but no, kept telling us to go south with no intention of turning back. Told the misses, even though our 'destinstion' was 10 minutes away (bollocks as my phone was saying 20 in the other direction).
She gets her phone out and the first thing her google sat nav says is do a U turn.

We got to the zoo anyway and the wee man loved the red pandas.

Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on October 06, 2020, 06:05:09 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote from: Juggz on October 06, 2020, 06:14:35 PM
Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on October 06, 2020, 06:05:09 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Yep. They sold it to you, they're responsible for supplying a faulty product, they're obliged to repair, replace or refund.

Quote from: Juggz on October 06, 2020, 05:47:14 PM
I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months ago, at the start of the first lockdown and it died recently, won't power on. Shit happens, it's only a few months old, it's under warranty. I logged a ticket with Gamestop about how to get a warranty repair. "Bring it into a local store" they said. Grand.

Just called into the local Gamestop. After much ooohing and aaaahing and being asked if I bought it new more than once (as well as when I bought it, more than once), they wouldn't accept it for repair and told me I'd have to take it up with Nintendo directly.

Shit service like that means I'll be buying everything else directly too and won't bother wasting my fucking time with the middleman in future.

As a (thankfully) former employee of GameStop, here's the buzz - they'll try to pull the wool over your eyes, but under EU and Irish legislation you have a minimum of two years warranty (your statutory rights) with the retailer, not the manufacturer. They have to sort this out for you with as little inconvenience and in as short a time frame as possible.

Squeeze them by saying you want to talk to the manager, and if that doesn't work then you want to talk to the area manager. Also threaten small claims court

And make sure you dangle this under their noses...

https://www.eccireland.ie/what-is-a-guarantee-or-warranty-and-how-to-use-it/

2nd this. Do not let them give it back and even take the phone out to record. Soon softens the cough.

Speaking of problems with retail..,my phone went today after owning it for 3 years and taking a fair battering in that time. I went to my local Eir store to buy a new one, I'm not a phone person so I just asked them to recommend a decent affordable phone and they recommended a Huawei, I get home start setting it up and I realise that it won't let me install Instagram, it also didn't come with Messenger/FB on it either, I'm not a big social media user but I do need it for college, I look up online and find out Huawei has been involved in some kind of trade war or some shite and google are blocking their service to Huawei phones, and in the past theyve even taken off the Google store and all Google related apps maybe blocked in the future.

I'm gonna go into the phone shop tomorrow and see if I can swap it for something else but I don't like my chances since it's been opened, I should have done my research but I told them out straight I'm not a phone person and I feel like the issues Huawei are having with google would have been worth mentioning.

Quote from: ldj on October 06, 2020, 10:54:12 PM
Speaking of problems with retail..,my phone went today after owning it for 3 years and taking a fair battering in that time. I went to my local Eir store to buy a new one, I'm not a phone person so I just asked them to recommend a decent affordable phone and they recommended a Huawei, I get home start setting it up and I realise that it won't let me install Instagram, it also didn't come with Messenger/FB on it either, I'm not a big social media user but I do need it for college, I look up online and find out Huawei has been involved in some kind of trade war or some shite and google are blocking their service to Huawei phones, and in the past theyve even taken off the Google store and all Google related apps maybe blocked in the future.

I'm gonna go into the phone shop tomorrow and see if I can swap it for something else but I don't like my chances since it's been opened, I should have done my research but I told them out straight I'm not a phone person and I feel like the issues Huawei are having with google would have been worth mentioning.

It's a Chinese based company that has allegedly been involved in spying. The CFO (the daughter of the founder) is currently under house arrest in Vancouver fighting extradition to the US.

Can you not use instagram and face book through the browser? I've a huawai too but I've got the instagram and Facebook apps. I take its only for current and future huaiwais?
I'll admit, I know very little about phones and tech but luckily I have a two year old so in a few years time he'll be able to sort all technology for me.

#1990 October 07, 2020, 08:41:50 AM Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:43:43 AM by 101_North
I'd have thought you should still be able to install apps like Instagram from the apk file. You can get the file at APKMirror https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/instagram/

Just make sure your Android security settings are set to allow 'unknown sources'.

Waking up to several texts from people that I work with telling me that EVH has died. I have no interest in Van Halen but they all took it upon themselves to text me.

The first one of them just said "RIP Eddie H". There's a lad in work called Eddie Harrington - I thought it was him.

I'd say that made you jump! (Sorry, sorry...)