Down here in the sticks, your past is the future.

Not only does it still exist,  it seems to have a large vinyl section.  I was in Tesco last week and even it had a fucking vinyl section!

If it makes you feel any better it's a really good album  :laugh:

It's cool,  it means you can probably grab some of the bigger releases for a good price. Just caught me off guard to see a vinyl section in Tesco  :laugh:

Yep, most Tescos have a little Golden Discs in them, they're the physical media suppliers.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 12, 2020, 10:09:01 AM
Quote from: Juggz on February 12, 2020, 08:32:44 AM
"Pre-ordering" something on Amazon and seeing it in the local Golden Discs a full week before the buggers manage to post it to you.

Are you posting from the past? Does Golden Discs really still exist???

I'll go one better - a Golden Discs open for the first time in Sligo a few months ago.

It's actually nice little shop; there's a nice selection of music/pop culture stuff and they have an okay selection of headphones.

Dunno how viable they'll be in the long term, but it's certainly nice to have a gawk around.

Was back the weekend and there is now a Golden Discs in Drogheda with a great selection of vinyl. It felt really nice to flick through CD´s and I'm regretting not buying something just to support the cause. I feel myself going back again and again to CDs lately, the artwork, some of the amazing remastered/repackaged releases that are out there. Spotify is great when on the move but what a pleasure it is to crack open a CD and spend some time with a great album rather than jumping between stuff constantly.

Quote from: Pedrito on February 12, 2020, 03:57:38 PM
Was back the weekend and there is now a Golden Discs in Drogheda with a great selection of vinyl. It felt really nice to flick through CD´s and I'm regretting not buying something just to support the cause. I feel myself going back again and again to CDs lately, the artwork, some of the amazing remastered/repackaged releases that are out there. Spotify is great when on the move but what a pleasure it is to crack open a CD and spend some time with a great album rather than jumping between stuff constantly.

totally agree....I've bought more cd's over the last year than in the last 10-15 years put together...mp3's have their place (very handy when I'm out in the shed doing some DIY) but there's no substitute for seeing a nice collection of cd's on a shelf, plus you can get great deals on cd's nowadays, I'm also going back to physical books again...

I've gone digital with almost everything but have always stuck with physical books.

Something about them, the feel, the smell, having to hold them and flip pages. They're even more tactile than other mediums.

That and I don't get stressed if I lose a tenner of a book on the bus. Much more stress with an e-reader :laugh:

Quote from: The Heretic on February 13, 2020, 09:03:39 AM

totally agree....I've bought more cd's over the last year than in the last 10-15 years put together...mp3's have their place (very handy when I'm out in the shed doing some DIY) but there's no substitute for seeing a nice collection of cd's on a shelf, plus you can get great deals on cd's nowadays, I'm also going back to physical books again...

Just a question but where is the best place online for price to buy metal cd's nowadays. I was in tower last week and it had a pretty abysmal collection of metal cd's really

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on February 13, 2020, 12:50:38 PM
Quote from: The Heretic on February 13, 2020, 09:03:39 AM

Just a question but where is the best place online for price to buy metal cd's nowadays. I was in tower last week and it had a pretty abysmal collection of metal cd's really

for myself I trawl  ebay and amazon for sellers selling 'like new' or 'very good' condition CD's, bid low and if I get/win it fine..if not something else always crops up....unless its something rare/specific...

Discogs is always worth a look, too. I've picked up some otherwise unavailable gems there over the years.

Quote from: Carnage on February 13, 2020, 04:57:15 PM
Discogs is always worth a look, too. I've picked up some otherwise unavailable gems there over the years.
Discogs is class, especially if you have time to trawl through a seller/shop and buy a good few (or 10) LPs. You'll save a fortune on postage and usually get a discount for multiple orders.