The new song has really grown on me, to be honest. Yes, it plods a bit but it's a decent rock song by a group of lads who're in their sixties, after all.

On the Maiden, Metallica, Slayer etc. thing, I think acknowledging that a band you once loved has turned a bit shit is actually a healthy thing for both the listener and for metal in general. It keeps things more authentic. I never understood the appeal of being an apologist or a "supporter" that acts like there's something virtuous about pretending a shite album is just as good as the old stuff if you put your fingers in your ears and imagine really, really hard.

65e for the vinyl..blimey..how our of touch have these 'legacy ' bands gone..65 fucking euro

Thats for the marbled special edition.
There's a black 3xLP for €48 as well. Which isn't to bad, sure

Lads, Maiden would love nothing more than to turn a legacy tour into a ram a whole new album down your throat tour.

They seen their clean break with your money and couldn't resist.

But I'm sure that they will throw in a nice long wank over the union jack and dedicate Run to the Hills to Megan Markle for good measure to keep all you West Brits ticking over.

Your appearance in this thread was long overdue, Nix. Where you been, lad?

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2021/07/single-review-iron-maiden-the-writing-on-the-wall/

Had to share this review of the single - most over the top praise ever! Like it was written by that Creation's Tears guy from the old forum.

QuoteCheck your pulse. Right now. If it hasn't been racing since the rumours of a new Iron Maiden single arriving you'd better check yourself in to see your doctor as a matter of emergency.

The fact that the much teased (and finally revealed in grand style earlier this week) 'The Writing On The Wall' is a monster of Eddie-like proportions should bring a much needed and unhindered celebration in these difficult times.

To say this, first course of Belshazzar's Feast, is good would be like pointing out to someone that Mount Everest is a bit of a climb. The fact of the matter is that it could rank as one of their greatest moments in a glittering career that has spanned more than four decades.

It reminds me of the Metal Hammer reviews in the 90s. Of course, as an impressionable teenager I thought that hyperbolic style was most entertaining, but reading that kind of silly praise now is embarrassing.

New track, on the plus side, it's less than 5 minutes long, on the minus, the mix is atrocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuwr9fF7kw

More tripe. Bruce sounds like he just can't be arsed.

Awful stuff...the guitar that plays behind the vocal is really annoying.....

That's completely uninspired, and the worst part is I know I'll still buy the album at some stage

Quote from: Anton Arcane on July 21, 2021, 12:36:48 AM
On the Maiden, Metallica, Slayer etc. thing, I think acknowledging that a band you once loved has turned a bit shit is actually a healthy thing for both the listener and for metal in general. It keeps things more authentic. I never understood the appeal of being an apologist or a "supporter" that acts like there's something virtuous about pretending a shite album is just as good as the old stuff if you put your fingers in your ears and imagine really, really hard.
Nail on the head there man. I completely agree with you. The thing is, most people don't and will continue to praise albums that just don't reach the previous highs that some bands manage to accomplish. To be fair, not every maiden album is gold but there are some classics in the back catalogue.