Surely this is only tip of the iceberg stuff. I remember reading Hammer of the Gods years ago and wondering why there wasn't more of an uproar over some of the stuff that was going on. Jimmy Page seems to have gotten a bit of a pass over the years, despite having been in a relationship with a 14 year old girl.

Quote from: John Kimble on February 02, 2021, 11:46:27 AM
Surely this is only tip of the iceberg stuff. I remember reading Hammer of the Gods years ago and wondering why there wasn't more of an uproar over some of the stuff that was going on. Jimmy Page seems to have gotten a bit of a pass over the years, despite having been in a relationship with a 14 year old girl.

Exactly....I mean if you went through the 80's alone and the shenanigans...didn't Nikki Sixx have to retract what he said in The Dirt about practically raping someone? Said it was bluster etc etc..

Yup, and very similar to what McLovin was saying, a lot of the time the women had to have known what they were getting themselves into.

All of that old brigade were filth. Bowie, Page, Iggy, Elvis the list is endless. There is an argument that the girls knew what they were getting into, even to the extent of Lorrie Maddox releasing at least one book glorifying the time, but they were still children.

I think that the comment about a normal Joe Soap not getting away with this is unfounded. I would say they are more likely to. This woman is in a position that she will be heard and maybe even empowered to a degree by this whereas Jane Doe will grin and bare it.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 02, 2021, 12:44:05 PM

All of that old brigade were filth. Bowie, Page, Iggy, Elvis the list is endless.

Indeed. Page's 14 year old love interest in question (Lorrie Maddox in fact) was already, at that stage, one of Bowie's exes!

Its fucking sick that these grown men where sleeping with 14year old girls.

Quote from: Blackout on February 02, 2021, 01:17:00 PM
Its fucking sick that these grown men where sleeping with 14year old girls.

Just read there Iggy slept with a 13 year old. For the love of Christ. Scum.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 02, 2021, 12:44:05 PM

I think that the comment about a normal Joe Soap not getting away with this is unfounded. I would say they are more likely to. This woman is in a position that she will be heard and maybe even empowered to a degree by this whereas Jane Doe will grin and bare it.
I think the difference is that so many of them have straight up admitted it, and there was no repercussions, whereas if most Billy Bollocks did there'd be a better chance of at least being dragged to court

Remember reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography and there was one section where he said he slept with some groupie, then the next day she told him she was fourteen and her dad was a cop, so they'd sex one more time and he got back on the road out for the next gig. You'd imagine coming out with something like that now though would be career suicide

Don't forget, legally speaking, the age for marriage in, say Britain, was only increased to 16 in 1929. Up to that point, it was set as "the legal age for puberty", which was 12 in girls (albeit with mandatory parental consent). The acceleration in evolution of social mores over the last century is something we really don't appreciate enough, in both senses of that word.

Should an artist be dropped by his label because of his personal actions? I'm by no means defending his behaviour   now.

It affects the overall brand of the musician and therefore their investment/product.

The lad should be thrown off a tall building if it's all true. I wonder about some o these things and definitely the victim does not in any way deserve to be blamed. However, there seems to be a type of naivety or misplaced trust displayed by young ladies, often of the American variety, in people like this. Is it a result of overpermissive parenting or the opposite? It has certainly been a 'thing' ever since the sixties with the Manson family etc but I can't help.but feel if oul Marilyn came to my door as a 36 year old to take my daughter out, I'd chase him down the road with a hurley and lock her under the stairs until she copped on to herself. Horrible story all the same. If you look at Rose McGowan's history of abuse, he probably seemed like an angel compared to some of what she experienced. I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Completely broken humans.

No wonder all the young ones are gasping for a sex change  :laugh:

I thought he was dodgy, even in the Wonder Years.