Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2020, 01:22:48 AM
Wow... properly surreal:

https://youtu.be/lq5UQ8gWU-A

Ok bear with me here but there's something so wonderfully American about that that it put a smile on my face. It follows in a kind of Country music tradition of the rebel outlaw type figure coming to redemption. A bit like Johnny Cash or one of these guys. Yes it's cheesy as fuck but the lad still has some voice on him and he's definitely not going through the motions with it either. Doubt I'll ever listen to it again but we can never write anything off. If Blackie Lawless can find god then anything's possible  :laugh:

Jesus I need you now!!

Won't get that out of my head for the rest of the day  :laugh:

#17 September 02, 2020, 11:42:13 AM Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:45:50 AM by Pedrito
As for WASP they are simply an incredible band, at least they were. The energy, the musicianship, the songs, the singing..all on a level that few bands would or could ever match. Blackie Lawless was a force of nature in his prime.  Love them fiest handful of records. The self titled so good..On Your Knees!

Helldorado worth a listen some good tunes on there.

Saturday Night Cockfight: what a song title. Don't Cry Just Suck also.

Loved Live.. In the raw, Great band, the Headless Children was a big step forward in scope but it is the earlier stuff I return to.

#19 September 02, 2020, 12:35:04 PM Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:39:08 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Pedrito on September 02, 2020, 11:31:29 AM
Ok bear with me here but there's something so wonderfully American about that that it put a smile on my face. It follows in a kind of Country music tradition of the rebel outlaw type figure coming to redemption. A bit like Johnny Cash or one of these guys. Yes it's cheesy as fuck but the lad still has some voice on him and he's definitely not going through the motions with it either. Doubt I'll ever listen to it again but we can never write anything off. If Blackie Lawless can find god then anything's possible  :laugh:

Totally get you man, and I wasn't knocking the song per se in using the word surreal; it's just that it's genuinely a surreal experience for who I am today (more likely to pick up 'The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross' than the bible) to see Blackie Lawless sing that he needs Jesus, given that 25 years ago Jesus-praying early teen me* first heard of WASP via satanic panic literature and material that was very much present in my born-again upbringing. WASP were absolutely front and centre in that whole schtick, so I ended up with a weird taboo fascination with the conjured idea and image of them years before I ever managed to hear a note of their music. And now...this! Feels like a parallel universe.

* another wank-bank freebie image for you there Kev ;)

He could always pen a solid tune.

The biggest problem with the later albums was the weaker production.

#21 September 02, 2020, 12:56:44 PM Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:59:20 PM by Pedrito
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2020, 12:35:04 PM

Totally get you man, and I wasn't knocking the song per se in using the word surreal; it's just that it's genuinely a surreal experience for who I am today (more likely to pick up 'The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross' than the bible) to see Blackie Lawless sing that he needs Jesus, given that 25 years ago Jesus-praying early teen me* first heard of WASP via satanic panic literature and material that was very much present in my born-again upbringing. WASP were absolutely front and centre in that whole schtick, so I ended up with a weird taboo fascination with the conjured idea and image of them years before I ever managed to hear a note of their music. And now...this! Feels like a parallel universe.

It's without doubt surreal and it's all so wrong in many ways  :laugh: it's funny despite being raised Catholic that I'd nearly be more worried that someone tells me they converted or they're mad into religion than if they told me they were alcoholic, on drugs, deprssed, which, again, is odd in and of itself.

I'm the same. There's something profoundly disturbing about the overtly religious, it creeps me out completely.

I'm assuming that every royalty Blackie gets nowadays from Fk Like A Beast now goes to charity then to keep Jesus sweet? Or does Jesus go out the window when it comes down to business?

It doesn't go to Chris Holmes, that's for sure. He reckons Blackie screwed him out of loads of royalties.

Has there ever been a tour with Stryper? If not, this is surely the time for WASP and the yellow and black attack to unite under Christ  :laugh:

#26 September 03, 2020, 01:59:25 AM Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:05:34 AM by DyslucsicJK
Gotta reign in here,

W.A.S.P. Are one of my all time favourite bands, I always seen them as the scumbag version of bon jovi as a kid.

Fucking hated them!

The headless Children, ....so much to love , local pub in the 80s had Karnov  arcade machine and jukebox had wasp, iron maiden, big country, ac/dc, etc, records!!!
Anyway that was class in 88, And still is!!!!

WASP - Babylon is the closest to the classic 80s
Give or take its actually class WASP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57cpISbTYs

Quote from: DyslucsicJK on September 03, 2020, 01:59:25 AM
Gotta reign in here,

W.A.S.P. Are one of my all time favourite bands, I always seen them as the scumbag version of bon jovi as a kid.

Fucking hated them!

The headless Children, ....so much to love , local pub in the 80s had Karnov  arcade machine and jukebox had wasp, iron maiden, big country, ac/dc, etc, records!!!
Anyway that was class in 88, And still is!!!!

WASP - Babylon is the closest to the classic 80s
Give or take its actually class WASP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57cpISbTYs

Sounds class JK!

Listened to The Crimson Idol a couple of times over the last few days. It's pretty decent.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 02, 2020, 12:35:04 PM

I saw a guy protesting with a big cross outside the last WASP gig in Belfast a few years ago. Clearly didn't get the memo about Blackie changing his ways  :laugh: