Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 10, 2019, 02:45:23 PM
Must grab that book at some point.  I think it's obvious enough that most of the shite talk was teenage posturing.  I suppose the more concrete acts of arson and murder lends the rest of the scene a certain air of seriousness,  even if a moment's reflection will dispel any such notions. I think with BM it can help to buy into the whole package while not reading too much into it at the same time.  Cognitive dissonance? It helps  :P
I agree, a kind of "suspend your disbelief " mentality is certainly required at times. I found Necrobutchers book refreshing in a sense as though he was very much in the midst of that scene he wasnt so much involved in the juvenile delinquency/acting the bollix side of things and manages to show Euronymous from the perspective of a peer/friend as opposed to how Euro portrayed himself to others, which is generally how 99% of BM accounts portray him.

The rotting christ book was cool. Reading the FNM one now....the Dickinson one was ok, not great.  I am Ozzy is gas  but I preferred the Iommi one which is awesome. Brian Slagels book is a good read too, as Us Mick Wall's Black Sabbath book. Enjoyed the Book of Opeth too.

Quote from: Floss on January 10, 2019, 08:50:49 PM
The rotting christ book was cool. Reading the FNM one now....the Dickinson one was ok, not great.  I am Ozzy is gas  but I preferred the Iommi one which is awesome. Brian Slagels book is a good read too, as Us Mick Wall's Black Sabbath book. Enjoyed the Book of Opeth too.

Read ozzys a few years ago and from what i remember it was hilarious in parts. i did prefer Iommi one too, he referenced some of the stories from ozzys which was good to hear both versions and most of the time the versions were actually very similar.  same with Mick Walls Black sabbath book!

Quote from: BlackWizard on January 09, 2019, 01:29:25 AM
Quote from: Necr0rceN on January 08, 2019, 09:14:53 PM
For the black metal fans there is a good book I read last year by Cult Never Dies - I only have Volume One and it is a fairly entertaining read:
https://cultneverdies.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/cult-never-dies-ultimate-book-bundles-all-our-books-with-or-without-evolution-all-signed-plus-extras-and-registered-shipping-price-all-inclusive

Great book, Dayal is a good write and does very indept interviews. I would highly recommended the rest of his books.

He's built a a reputation for himself among the Black Metal industry and get interviews with band who never do interviews.

I'm also currently reading his latest book on Rotting Christ. A must for all RC fans

https://cultneverdies.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/non-serviam-the-official-story-of-rotting-christ-book

Cheers, I must get this. Now is it worth it dropping 60 bucks for a shirt and signed book!

Another book I've read again for the 2nd time is Happy Odyssey - biography of Adrien Carton De Wiart. I know its not metal but this has to be read to be believed. Just look him up. His biography is insane. If a movie was made it would almost be too far fetched to be believed.

KK Downings book is indeed a good one, Obviously hates the shit out of Tipton but has enough self awareness to analyse his own shortcomings. The exact opposite of Sebastian Bach's book which is more of I'm clearly an arsehole but everyone else are the ones that are wrong type affair.

Dickinsons book is shit. Zero honesty, the dodgy years glossed over and we get landing conditions at various airports.

Not metal but the Nofx book is a great read, mostly for their drummer Melvin's recollection of his years as a heroin addict

Extremity Retained: Notes From the Death Metal Underground by  Jason Netherton (Misery Index)

this is one the worst things i ever read

Recently read Pete Way - Its a fast ride outta here - good read, as expected drugs, drink, hellraising. Real good info on the earlier days and how much hard work Schenker is but they all seem to get on fine still.  Roger Daltrey - Thank you mr kibblewhite is a good overview of his life with some interesting insights.

That Paul D'ianno book is the worst piece of shit I've ever read. Felt dirtly having it in the house so fucked it in the bin sparing anyone else from picking it up and wasting time on it. Completlely fucking delusional. There wasn't a fight he never won and every anecdote turned into an orgy of some description.

Picked up the Max Cavelera book there, think it was recommended somewhere here, another deluded individual. A lot of "We were the first to"  "This had never been done before" type statements. He really took the biscuit when he claimed the world wore combat shorts after he performed in them at a festival somewhere. His wife reckoned he should've trademarked the style but being the cool philanthropist he is he decided to give back to the metal community. One thing which is glaringly obvious is that Gloria Cavelera is completely and utterly bat shit crazy, if you're not convinced have a look at her blog "Growing Up Green" - there's some cool anecdotes from tours etc in there but there's also some complete and utter bollocks like the time she was left a voicemail at 5am on the morning of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I did enjoy reading about the earlier records though Max himself comes across as being a complete dickhead. After the first Soulfly record, each of the other 11 albums gets about a paragraph.

Quote from: blessed1 on January 29, 2019, 02:41:35 PM

this is one the worst things i ever read

yep... he really likes to play up to his hard man reputation all the way through it...awful stuff..

Picked up Nick Menzas book and it's woefully badly written. Similar to Steven Adler, he seems a bit dim but when he lets rip at Mustaine, (about 50% of the book), he really doesn't dress it up. He doesn't help himself by then following up that he'd still play with the fucker.

Quote from: Trev on January 25, 2019, 08:31:37 AM
Not metal but the Nofx book is a great read, mostly for their drummer Melvin's recollection of his years as a heroin addict

Yeah, decent read alright. The geezer did well to survive.

I see Adrian Smith is next up for a Maiden book.

Looks like it'll be delivered in the same format as Bruce's with a large percentage dedicated to his hobby of Angling. Fuck's sake. Bruce's book was dull beyond belief, what made it worse was he completely bypassed or sat on the fence regarding any Maiden topic that might've upset anyone. I'd say this will be more of the same.

Picked up KK Downings Autobiography and two books by Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order
over the weekend.  Any more recommendations lads?