Dave Vincent has his autobiography coming out next month. Apparently it was long awaited.

Reading Steve Gormans Hard To Handle at the minute, pretty good! It manages to avoid a lot of the usual cliches found in these things, and focuses primarily on the interactions between band members. The Robinson brothers come across as complete gimps but it's not a 400 page character assassination as it's balanced with acknowledgement of their talents etc.

Those Peter Hook books are fantastic. NoFX's one is great and I'm currently reading Elton John's one . It's 10/10 so far.

Quote from: Juggz on January 24, 2020, 06:43:04 AM
Those Peter Hook books are fantastic. NoFX's one is great and I'm currently reading Elton John's one . It's 10/10 so far.
I'd second the NoFX book, there's a real sincerity about the drummers drug use that doesn't seem to be in other autobiographies

Just finished Bernie Mardsen's book, not exactly sex drugs and rock n roll but a well told story. Started KK Downing's - seems good so far. Also the Rush - Wandering the Face of the Earth - tour history a massive tome full of info on their touring life -newspaper reviews, cuttings, other bands experiences - more of a reference book.

Quote from: Necro Red on January 23, 2020, 08:44:53 PM
Picked up KK Downings Autobiography and two books by Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order
over the weekend.  Any more recommendations lads?

I read Hook's book on The Hacienda recently, it was alright. Probably longer than it needed to be and presented some minutae about the place that're hard to care about, but worth a read. I'd be interested in his Joy Division book.

Quote from: Carnage on January 24, 2020, 11:10:03 AM
Quote from: Necro Red on January 23, 2020, 08:44:53 PM
Picked up KK Downings Autobiography and two books by Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order
over the weekend.  Any more recommendations lads?

I read Hook's book on The Hacienda recently, it was alright. Probably longer than it needed to be and presented some minutae about the place that're hard to care about, but worth a read. I'd be interested in his Joy Division book.
I've read the Joy Division one and highly recommend it. I have his other two books which im looking forward to reading soon.

Quote from: The Ancient Ones on January 23, 2020, 09:00:31 PM
Dave Vincent has his autobiography coming out next month. Apparently it was long awaited.
I bet we're all looking forward to what Dave The Cowboy Vincint has to say  :laugh:

Good shout on the FNM book. I rarely read music books that aren't autobiographies but that one is good so far.

The book  about Jerry Nolan out of the New York Dolls is quite good.
Play the Academy July 13th

Mark Lanegan has one coming out, Sing Backwards and Weep. Screaming Trees never did anything for me and I've seen him doing a solo support slot, which also did nothing for me but it seems like it's gonna make for grim reading. From what I gather, stories about Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley will feature a good bit. I never knew on the day of Cobain's suicide, Lanegan had a few missed calls off him but was too fucked up to pick up the phone. I imagine that still weighs heavily on him. I'd say it'll make for largely grim reading. 

I loved Screaming Trees but I went to one of his earlier solo gigs and it was one of the most boring things I have ever seen.

He was massively into skag in the later years of Screaming Trees so probably has a few good stories to tell. If that makes up 80% of the book it might be good.

Ya, he was a serious addict, ended up homeless and the whole lot. He spent a lot of time in Layne Staley's pad, the 2 of em just getting fucked. The book goes to around the time of Staley's death so he's not covering his years of pulling himself together. Must be mainly the shit years.

I read that Guns and Roses biography by Mick Wall which was a lot better than I thought it would be. Fairly in depth, outrageous and funny. On to the Bowie one now

Rory Gallaghers is great too. The auld lad read it one sitting at Christmas couple of years ago.

Just finished Peter Hook's Joy Division book. A great read, superb insight into the band, even prompted me to go out and buy their debut lp. Currently on 2 Martin Popoff books about Rush. They are fine but nothing new and rely heavily on interviews. Anthem is detail heavy on their childhoods which is not very interesting. Also finished up INXS - a band that wouldn't be for me, however they put the graft in and certainly a tale of highs and lows and misadventures.