Iron Maiden - Final Frontier .haven't listened to this much since the tour for it.enjoyed it at the time.might start using it to put the kids to sleep... boring beyond belief ..won't be getting an airing anytime soon after this

Angra - Secret Garden

They're a band I've meant to check out for a while now, and saw this going cheap so figured I'd give it a go. Not really doing much for me though, all fairly bland, certainly doesn't live up to the reputation they've got

#5687 July 27, 2021, 06:48:57 PM Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:52:31 PM by leatherface
Crowbar: Serpent Only Lies

Will always return to 'Broken Glass' as my 'go to'  album by this band, but this was really good. That main riff in 'Falling While Rising'   :abbath:

Quote from: Trev on July 27, 2021, 06:42:28 PM
Angra - Secret Garden

They're a band I've meant to check out for a while now, and saw this going cheap so figured I'd give it a go. Not really doing much for me though, all fairly bland, certainly doesn't live up to the reputation they've got

I don't mind the music but the vocals are horrendous, instant dealbreaker for me.

Quote from: leatherface on July 27, 2021, 05:24:25 PM
Excel: Split Image

Crossover group from Venice Beach, CA (perhaps affiliated with Suicidal Tendencies ,,? ). Like ST, but a little more feral.  Best track: Insecurity

I have this hanging around the stereo myself at the moment
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Trev on July 27, 2021, 06:42:28 PM
Angra - Secret Garden

I love Angels Cry album. Maybe give this one a chance, if you've already wanted to check the band out.

Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand

To be honest I've never listened to this album before, it would have came out when I was about 13 so by the time I got around to Primordial in my later teens the general consensus on the album was fairly mixed so I never bothered with it.

I'm just on the first track but the first thing that jumps out is that how strange the mix is, the snare sounds pretty bad frankly, and is turned right up in the mix. The guitars are pretty buried and sound very muddy too, on some of the busier riffs you can't even make out what they're playing.

#5692 July 28, 2021, 06:58:28 AM Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:07:18 AM by Eoin McLove
Total 90s buzz today. I raided the wife's old CD collection to listen to when we went for a drive to celebrate getting out of the last lockdown. Mad nostalgia trip...

Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies.
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream.
Marilyn Manson- Antichrist Superstar.
Nice Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral.

I haven't listened to Antichrist Superstar since around 98 after giving a lend of it to a friend and never seeing it again. It's far too long but there are some really cracking songs on it. It's funny listening to it as an adult and making sense of the lyrics, most of which flew over my head as a young lad. I loved the imagery the lyrics conjured back then but the utter nihilism of the message was lost on me. For the amount of dark music I listen to none of it really has that bitter, angry and violent message in it these days, or if it does it still seems to be a bit more fantastical in nature. That album sounds like the inside of a serial killer's head. I'm getting old but it was a bit disturbing in places  :laugh:

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 28, 2021, 06:58:28 AM
Total 90s buzz today. I raided the wife's old CD collection to listen to when we went for a drive to celebrate getting out of the last lockdown. Mad nostalgia trip...

Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies.
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream.
Marilyn Manson- Antichrist Superstar.
Nice Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral.

I haven't listened to Antichrist Superstar since around 98 after giving a lend of it to a friend and never seeing it again. It's far too long but there are some really cracking songs on it. It's funny listening to it as an adult and making sense if the lyrics, most of which flew over my head as a young lad. I loved the imagery the lyrics conjured back then but the utter nihilism of the message was lost on me. For the amount of dark music I listen to none of it really has that bitter, angry and violent message in it these days, or if it does it still seems to be a bit more fantastical in nature. That album sounds like the inside of a serial killer's head. I'm getting old but it was a bit disturbing in places  :laugh:

Would you give over about getting old, you're only a year or two older than me, in your prime!

I'm listening to Slipknot today as the bird is gone to València so I might as well throw on a few of those you've mentioned there. I enjoyed that Manson album at the time, let's see if it provokes as much meandering prose in me as it did you ;)

Thanks for that, have you been taking 'condescension 101 classes with skinny Chris' :) 😂

You are running, you're over there in Australia you still have your own hai...teeth. My auld lad is 61 and did a 100 km bike race there before the lockdown, still flying the oul' fucker. You are in the summer of life!

Once again derailed into nonsensical bullshit. Fair play, Kev. You're relentless. Just surprised you didn't mention yokes.

Speak up, son, I couldn't find my hearing aid after crunching my glasses under my slippers.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 28, 2021, 08:43:11 AM
39 ain't 14!

It ain't 46 either, you young rapscallion!

Excellent choices there, though as much as I enjoyed Antichrist Superstar at the time, it's Mechanical Animals I go to now for young Manson. I love the sleaziness of it, in all its overproduced glory.