Quote from: Carnage on May 09, 2021, 10:18:09 PM
I'd put the debut in third, with Once Upon The Cross in second. I was never blown away by them - my introduction was a C90 with Slowly We Rot on one side and Deicide's debut on the other, and it was Obituary who made an impression (I think I dismissed Deicide as 'morons with guitars) - though I came around to them later.

There's a viciousness to Serpents and Once that appeals to me more than their other material, and they're certainly more focussed albums IMO. To me the previous material were just warm ups for the main event(s). Legion in particular pales by comparison, I've always found that one a disappointment.

To these ears the visciousness is epitomised by Sacrificial Suicide, Mephistopheles and Dead by Dawn. How does Steve Asheim even drum at that speed on the latter? The Amon recordings of each of the above are even more primal. Maybe because it was  the first of their albums I heard had a lot to do with the strong impression it created. Pretty sure I read somewhere it was widely considered the Reign in Blood of death metal. Once Upon the Cross was the second of their albums I became familiar with and it took quite  few listens to get used to the switch in style which was a lot less in your face but it eventually became my second favourite. Legion hasn't got as many highlights as either of the above two with some notable exceptions such as Dead but Dreaming and Revocate the Agitator. Can only imagine the stir these releases would've caused back in the day.

Nothing touches the debut!,Serpents is a bloody good album but lets not be over estimating it here either.

I loved the debut and Legion, saw them in London a few times over the years The Amon FTB album was savage, remember ordering it in Comet in Cork lol.  I'm sure Shane will remember our trip around 2003 or 2004 for Deicide and Paul DiAnno the night before. Great craic. Lots interest after Scars to be honest.

On another note though, how close was Sacrificial Suicide and Crucifixion to being almost Black Metal!! Very different to the DM that was coming out those days.

Deicide in 04 in the Village was my first time seeing them. Sunn O))) played a matinee in Whelan's the same day. Anyway, we were on about it at some point in the not so distant past but Legion grabbed me last year for the first time and it is truly incredible. The others all currently pale in comparison.

#5029 May 10, 2021, 12:37:14 AM Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:43:20 AM by Carnage
Quote from: vinterland on May 09, 2021, 11:21:35 PMCan only imagine the stir these releases would've caused back in the day.

Legion was a big deal when it came out alright, I remember going into Borderline with a mate for the picture disc (he got it for a tenner), he was chuffed to bits with it. I just found it a letdown TBH, nothing special. A few months later the first Brutal Truth album came out and that was exectly what I was looking for at the time.

Horses for course and all that, I suppose.

Quote from: open face surgery on May 10, 2021, 12:15:13 AM
Deicide in 04 in the Village was my first time seeing them. Sunn O))) played a matinee in Whelan's the same day. Anyway, we were on about it at some point in the not so distant past but Legion grabbed me last year for the first time and it is truly incredible. The others all currently pale in comparison.
That was a great gig!,bus load of us came up from Cork for it!

Starting the week as I mean to continue...
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Morbid Angel - Domination
Altars and Blessed won't be long finding their way to the stereo now.

Was listening to Blessed are the Sick over the weekend myself.

Also Wildfire by Destroyer 666 - loving this record, might just be my fav metal album of that decade.

Legion is a monster ! Excellent songs. The debut sits above it though. I think Serpents is brilliant but it just lacks a slight punch.
Asphyx - Deathhammer... ye bastards

Quote from: Paul keohane on May 10, 2021, 08:53:58 AM
Quote from: open face surgery on May 10, 2021, 12:15:13 AM
That was a great gig!,bus load of us came up from Cork for it!

Was at that meself. Good craic. Good few lads went to the Sunn gig in the afternoon too and said it was top notch. Benton throwing a hissy fit was a highlight too

Actually going to throw on Arkhon Infaustus now for old times sake, haven't had it on in a bit. They supported that night touring Perdition Insanibilis which is a fairly overlooked but pretty savage album. Couldn't make head nor tail of it live that time but the CD is still decent.

Might stick that Arkhon album on later, always enjoyed it myself too.

It's the only one I know by them. Any of the rest of it any cop?

Autarcie -Sequania

#5038 May 10, 2021, 04:43:26 PM Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:27:58 PM by Paul keohane
I remember there was a lot of hate for Arkhon Infaustus at  that gig!,thought they were good myself.Benton wanted to fuck them off the tour that night if memory serves me?.

Was drinking in the bar downstairs in Whelans that afternoon when Sunn O came on,mother of fuck wouldn't be fot me all!

Quote from: Paul keohane on May 10, 2021, 04:43:26 PM
I remember there was a lot of hate for Arkhon Infaustus at  that gig!,thought they were good myself.Benton wanted to fuck them off the tour that night if memory serves me?.

Was drinking in the bar in downstairs in Whelans that afternoon when Sunn O came on,mother of fuck wouldn't be fot me all!

I thought Arkhon were hampered by a bad mix for a lot of it and the tunes were technical enough that I hadn't a clue what was going on for the more intricate parts. Pity, but dunno why they went down so badly otherwise